Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 "Ugliest" thing you've knitted? And why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SR5Rfan
Permanent Resident

USA
1232 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  10:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit SR5Rfan's Homepage Send SR5Rfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could be "Why is it ugly" or "Why did you knit it" or both ...

Mine would be the hat I just finished for DS. He does freelance news video and wanted an orange hat (so he can be seen more easily). Not only is it the brightest orange yarn I could find, it was also the least expensive (therefore not very soft or nice to knit with). I know he'll wear it, because this one is a replacement, but I hated knitting it. Anyway, if you check Flickr pics, you'll find it.
http://flickr.com/photos/bethmateski/sets/72157600706948948/

Beth
http://sr5rfan.blogspot.com/ Not much knitting on it, but it's a start ...
"I was taught to respect my elders, but it is getting harder and harder to find one"

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  12:51:44 AM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't think of anything that I've knit ugly intentionally.

As for the stuff that turned out ugly, it was probably a sweater for my son when he was a very young child. Wrong yarn, too tight gauge, sleeves too long and too tight.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  06:34:19 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh boy...My dh was complaining about the lack of heat where he works...and he wanted a cardigan... So I searched for a simple pattern, and I wanted acrylic so I could just toss it into the machine. Found it..bought the yarn..bad idea, exchanged the yarn for some Jiffy stuff. Nice colors, knitted it as fast as I could. Followed the directions for a 2x, which would fit him perfectly. He put it on and it was to big, to slouchy and really Ugly. I made him promise not to wear it outside the lab.

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  06:48:29 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My "ugliest" project was a bad combo (on my part) of pattern and yarn. I used Berroco Softwist to make the Potato Chip scarf. DH summed up the project when he said that the scarf looked like pig intestines. I was so frustrated that the whole thing went into the trash can.

Angie
My pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26414328@N00/
My blog: http://zippyzinnia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  07:18:21 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you take pix of the pig intestines??? That would be something to see! Probably the most "ugly" thing I can think of that I knit was a prayer shawl in 100% acrylic. The color was pretty in the skein, but made up...it's ugly and limp. That was the LAST time I used 100% acrylic. I didn't even bother to frog it because the yarn was just too ugly to use again.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

momslake
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  08:16:54 AM  Show Profile Send momslake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done some blaze orange stuff for myself, my dogs and a couple of friends to wear during hunting season, using cheap acrylic. That's about it.

"In the northern wilderness, where wool is a way of life."
My Photos (not all knitting) http://www.flickr.com/photos/9944308@N08/
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  09:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uhm I knitted my daughter a scarf out of some shocking pink novelty yarn that has also little black specks. She choose the yarn... I don't have any pictures of it but she wears it occasionally!

Marjolein

my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
www.ravelry.com/projects/marjotse
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  2:08:42 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did the Ugly have to stay knitted? I've frogged a chenille sweater and will throw out or donate the yarn. There is just NOTHING that I can think of to make with it.

Lella
My Blog

Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  2:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I first started to read this thread I thought that I haven't knitted anything ugly. But as I read down further I remembered a bolero I knitted for my DD several years ago. The yarn itself was rather nice, if a little heavy, it being a variegated bulky-weight mohair boucle - no photos, sorry. But the bolero was a crossover pattern fastened with a large button on one corner. The bulky weight of the yarn made the bolero very thick where it crossed over and I absolutely hated it when it was finished! Being a loyal daughter, the recipient said she loved it but I don't know if she ever wore it.

Thinking about it, I wonder what happened to it? If she still has it, it must be stored somewhere here while she's overseas. I wonder if I could find it and perhaps frog it and knit something a little more suitable for her? Hmm...

KathyR
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

suzannevh
Gabber Extraordinaire

565 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  4:00:59 PM  Show Profile Send suzannevh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not intentionally. I knit a potato ship/ruffle scarf out of a variagated blue boucle acrylic - it looked like marine life.

Check out my project pics

Go to Top of Page

catlady4
Chatty Knitter

117 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  5:03:02 PM  Show Profile Send catlady4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My ugliest would definitely have to be a baby cardigan that I knit for a friend out of Lion Watercolors. The yarn consistency is similar to Homespun, but it has little flecks of color run through it in addition to the primary color. I thought the result would make this child look like a polar bear playing paintball, but my friend loved it.

Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  5:39:37 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A vest made out of variegated turquoise cotton yarn, the kind used to make dishcloths. It stretched and curled, but the buttons were nice, silver color cats. There wasn't really a reason, it just didn't turn out the way I expected. C.

"When I was young I admired clever people. Now that I'm old I admire kind people."(A.J.Heschel)
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  7:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the first pullover I made for myself. Oblivious to the concept of drape, I made an acrylic top with eyelets scattered all over. It had a deep V neck, but in the back (gasp! Hey it was the eighties!). It was too short, too stiff, crunchy, and because the yarn was too thick, the eyelets had ugly puckers.

Arctic-mermaid
http://www.flickr.com/photos/MermaidKnits/
Go to Top of Page

eepster
Seriously Hooked

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  7:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit eepster's Homepage Send eepster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we don't count things I knit when I was 8 or 9...

a steering wheel cozy. The yarn is a reasonably attractive colorway, but it's redheart. Since it wasjust a steering wheel cozy I figured I might as well experiment with stitches while I was at it, and I did not tink back when the results of those experiments weren't great.

{o,o}
./)_)
.." "
Jen
http://www.buddhabellyart.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/buddhabellyart
Go to Top of Page

SandySG
New Pal

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  12:45:02 AM  Show Profile Send SandySG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ugliest thing(s) off my needles have to be the slippers
(in-home use only) that I call "the Uglies". I made approximately 10 pair using acrylic for "toss in washer and dryer" convenience. Wear and tear of my original pair will result
in replacement (same pattern, same yarn) because they are so very comfortable and convenient. The comfort/convenience factors must over-ride looks because one of the men who received a pair ("the
cat ate one of them") wants replacements also. Maybe it's true that looks aren't everything.

Sandy

Go to Top of Page

VaxGirl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  06:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit VaxGirl's Homepage Send VaxGirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knitted a swiffer cover from leftovers of Sugar & Cream. The colors are awful together, a bright orange and green variegated. But since it's ugly, I don't mind using it to clean the floor.
Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  08:39:16 AM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took a knitting class from my community college. Our first project was a pair of slippers knit from squares. It was good practice but they turned out like deranged elf slippers! I sewed jingle bells on the end and gave them to my dad as a joke.

Sparkleplenty
Go to Top of Page

cat.k.
Chatty Knitter

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  10:24:16 AM  Show Profile Send cat.k. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one ...

A couple of years ago my high school nephew emailed a photo of a crocheted hat that was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen and asked if I could make one like it for him.

I did a knitting interpretation of it, based on the hat with earflaps from "Last-Minute Knitted Gifts." Used orange, yellow and lime green variegated Red Heart, with solid lime green for an accent. I did i-cord ties and capped it with a pom pom.

Oh, it was awful. But strangely liberating. We've all --- or mostly all --- unintentionally made things that were ugly. But it's freeing to be able to start out with the idea of making The World's Second Ugliest Hat.

And oh, for the confidence of teenagers ... Alex wore it hiking the weekend after I sent it. I have photos to prove it, bless him.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  5:25:24 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fuggliest thing I ever knit wasn't that fuggly to LOOK at, but oh my stars, did it smell!!!..

30 years or so ago, I was a new spinner and determined to spin a very clean fleece I had gotten ahold of in the grease. Ao I made one big fat skein up and found that while it had a lovely, greasy, unscoured wool feel---it also had that lovely, sheep in a barnyard with manure smell. It flat out reeked. I quit there and washed the rest, but when I showed my mom and dad the yarn, daddy got all peculiar. he said it smelt like the inside of a rope locker on a sail boat (thrilling, eh?) He demanded and got a watchcap and wore the stinky thing. When he finally let ma wash it and it lost the stench, he was so unhappy. He wanted to know if there wasn't a way to get it smelly again. Short of finding a sheep and tying it on for a few months, I didn't know of any. Commercial lanolin has been deoderized.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  5:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hands down, it was the Dominatrix wire candle holder thingee. I saw it on DIY. You knit a wire rectangle with beads and wrap it around a glass voltive. It was so ugly--it looked like something Dracula would have in his strip club.

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."

http://hissyknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  7:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
an orange , yellow and lime green hat. I'd pay to see that!

Arctic-mermaid
http://www.flickr.com/photos/MermaidKnits/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by