Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 Can you knit lace shawls with crochet thread??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

iowajane
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  12:21:10 PM  Show Profile Send iowajane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have an abundant supply of #10 crochet thread from when I did a lot of filet crochet. Can I use that when they call for knitting a lace shawl? Thanks!

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  12:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, you certainly can! Many patterns, especially those intended for tablecloths and doilies, work beautifully in crochet cotton.

One thing you'll need to remember is that cotton is not as elastic and "drapey" as wool, so you might need to use a larger needle to get the flexibility of a shawl.

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  6:08:42 PM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What AuntyNin said.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

baxterknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  7:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit baxterknits's Homepage Send baxterknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Aunty Nin and Mmario said <G>. I have a circular cotton lace table topper that would make a very pretty shawl - so far it's just been too much work to move the lamp and bric a brac to get at it, but one of the days I may wear it.

Cindy G
http://baxterknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  10:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple years ago I knitted a bookmark using #10 crochet cotton on Sz 4 knitting needles. I like the look and it holds its shape with only blocking by pinning out & steaming lightly. having it on display at my shop has started some nice discussions about learning knitted lace. I think if I were making a shawl, I'd start swatching with needles about sz 4 to 6. this past Christmas season I knitted a star using #10 cotton on sz 0 needles and it came out a bit denser than I thought it would.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  07:29:33 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup. When I was looking at lace yarn here, some of LYSO shove me to buy crochet thread instead...
Go to Top of Page

PamelaA3
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  08:22:23 AM  Show Profile Send PamelaA3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only drawback I see is the non stretchiness of crochet cotton. If you are a new lace knitter, non stretcy yarn or thread can be frustrating for doing the decreases. Definitely, I would look for a set of the new Addi LACE needles. They are less slick, but most inportant, they have sharper points that will get up under two or three strands of thread to do the decreases. I am sold on these needles. Best of luck. Let us know how it works out.

Pam, in Raleigh
Go to Top of Page

iowajane
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  08:51:02 AM  Show Profile Send iowajane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for all the helpful suggestions! I can't wait to cast on a project now.

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  6:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And consider too whether you need warmth in a shawl (cotton not so good then) and also with your test swatch, see how it feels against your skin. neck, shoulders.

I personally think it could be gorgeous, although I would be tempted to incorporate lovely coloured beads.
Have fun!

Arctic-mermaid
http://www.flickr.com/photos/MermaidKnits/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by