Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Desert Island Stash
 Desert Island Stash, revisited
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cena
Warming Up

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  11:42:57 PM  Show Profile Send cena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. book: a nice big stitch library.
2. needles: bryspun, 2 sets 2mm dpns, and some 5mm and 8mm straight needles.
3. forget yarn, I want a drop spindle about 40 grams bottom-whorl, about a 2 inch whorl and maybe a 9 inch thin shaft, and an unlimited supply of silk, shetland, and alpaca fiber, a set of hand cards, and a sturdy hair comb.

Oh, and a teapot and cup and a stash of some nice darjeeling and honey.

And a pocketknife and a lighter. Daddy always said to make sure you had fire and steel.

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  2:36:49 PM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd want lots of sock yarn, and chocolate! It would be hard to pick just one book, maybe something by EZ?

Susan
Go to Top of Page

knitwitt
Seriously Hooked

USA
700 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  4:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitwitt's Homepage Send knitwitt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Assuming I could be stranded for a year:

1. Book: EZ's Knitter's Almanac
2. Yarns: something for every project in that book
3. Needles: Knit Pick's Harmony, complete set

And, if possible, 12 cases of Dr. Loosen Erdener Treppchen Spatlese (German rieslings are great wines for knitters -- very low in alcohol!) and a good wine glass.

--Jennifer

http://impatientknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  6:51:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
knitwitt; You just failed to say "please" in the first few words. Ha! You can't technically be stranded, I don't think, if you are, desiring it. Oh my goodness.

After Clara's review today of Hand Maiden's new Silk Cashmere yarn, YEAH, that's what it would have to be.[!]And... added Jan 13, must have qiviut yarn. It kept bugging me I hadn't listed it.

Arctic-mermaid
http://www.flickr.com/photos/MermaidKnits/
Go to Top of Page

Janbie
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  4:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Janbie's Homepage Send Janbie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, tough topic

I suppose I'd take some sock yarns (LL Shepherd Sock is a current favorite), some linens and cottons, because I'm assuming where I'd be stranded would be hot and tropical.

For needles, I'd take along my KnitPicks Options kit, plus some Harmony DPNs

Books...one of the Charlene Schurch books and a shawl book (not sure which one yet).

The KnitWit Copywriter
http://www.knitwitcopywriter.com
http://janbie.blogspot.com
http://knitwitcopywriter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KnittinKat
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  8:21:12 PM  Show Profile Send KnittinKat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think any of colorsongyarn (of the handmaiden varities). they make me drool and no i don't work for them! <G> knitpicks options. haven't learned to do socks yet and really don't have much interest. what do you wear these with? the ones i've seen don't seem to be amenable to everyday wear.. maybe i'm just naive
Kat
Go to Top of Page

beedee
Seriously Hooked

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  10:10:09 AM  Show Profile Send beedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Desert island. Are we talking about a tropical or extremely polar (north or south) island? If semi-tropical (Key West, Florida, for example), I'd take bamboo needles and fingering weight cotton yarn (Is there such a yarn besides crochet thread?) No Lycra or elastic, please (just adds to the sweat factor). My favorite apparel while I lived in Key West, was my crocheted cotton bikini (red) and the red & white pareu I purchased from Club Med Moorea, Tahiti (in the '70's). Oh yeah, and about 10 of those huge cardboard-with-a-spout containers of Moroccan white wine!
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  9:12:11 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... I'm with Beedee on this one, where the heck am I? And more importantly is it desserted. I'm assuming by desert you mean tropical. Well being on the not so pleasantly plump side, I'd totally knit myself some large bikini type things to stay cool, as long as no one else would EVER see me! Of course a nice lace cover up to go with it. That would make for a funky tan!
Warm weather, cool yarn, bamboo, cotton, maybe some other plan-like fiber, soysilk maybe? Never used any of them really so it's hard to say, but I wouldnt want alpaca! No linen unless it's a blend, who knows how I'd be able to wash these things and linen is too scratchy at first.
BOOKS: my harmony guides, Knit and Purl, cables and Arans, Lace and Eyelets
NEEDLES: I usually always bamboo, but in this case I want a set of KP Options... I can ML socks and small tubes, flat knit and circ large things. And a crochet hook, needle for hiding threads.
Of course if you brought aluminum needles they could double as a rotisserie spit for cooking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/
Go to Top of Page

beedee
Seriously Hooked

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  11:27:02 PM  Show Profile Send beedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hammocks! Save those aluminum needles (bigger the better). We can knit up some hammocks with all that linen yarn!
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  12:03:16 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OOH good idea! I've got some 15's and I think some 17s. I also have giant clover wooden 17s, I'll be sure to grab those when the boat goes down!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/
Go to Top of Page

TeenKnitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  05:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit TeenKnitter's Homepage Send TeenKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd bring Lily Sugar and Cream, in lots of colours - and probably size 6mm needles.

Are we all stranded on the island together? In that case we'd better all bring something different so that we can share!

Annie
"If at first you don't suceed, failure may be your style" Quentin Crisp

Please check out my blog!
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  09:06:59 AM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good thinking! If we ever go on a yarn cruise, we must all coordinate before and make sure we have a bit of everything, just in case the ship goes down. Then we can have a desert island swap! But either way cotton is a must, we need those hammocks!

My Flickr pics
Go to Top of Page

beedee
Seriously Hooked

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  09:44:53 AM  Show Profile Send beedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh, I need those hammocks more than ever! Just remind me NOT to bring my hemp fiber and spindles so we can share the spinning chores.

Mindy, I understand you've recently taken up spindling. Do I need to bring my Joy wheel? We've got to get those hammocks swinging in the breeze, one way or another! Run up the signal flags, if it's a "go"!

BTW: The hemp ROVING was a legitimate trade during one of our spinning guild meetings (swap-meet). It was a big bag of really bristly stuff. I guess I could find time, here on the island, to spin some shade-cloth or sumpin' like that.
Go to Top of Page

beedee
Seriously Hooked

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  09:12:06 AM  Show Profile Send beedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh. Ommmmmmmmmmm. Blessed retreat. Spring water from our own spring "back home". Wine coolers for those who need a slightly more effervescent refresher. Blessed shade -- handspun and knitted up by myself while meditating (think Mandala). Handknitted or woven by myself while recalling the dances I've learned from just about all over the world: Hula, Tamure, Syrto, Kolo (Balkan/Serbo-Croatian, Greek, Macedonian, Turkish, Armenian, Anatolian.....). Remembering friends and dance partners who are now gone (Ashkenaz in Berkeley, The Mandala in San Francisco). Here, on this now not-so-deserted island - peace.
Go to Top of Page

beedee
Seriously Hooked

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  09:40:32 AM  Show Profile Send beedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woke up this morning remembering a fiber-growing friend on another set of islands. The Falkland Islands. I have books one and two of her "Diary of a Farmer's Wife".

Rosemary and her husband raise some 2,000+ sheep. Her husband (The Boss) "raises" windmills. I believe it is now winter in their part of the world.

So, if you should be "lurking" in any of the KR forums, Rosemary, I wish you a good morning; and hope you finally got your central heating!

Go to Top of Page

beedee
Seriously Hooked

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  5:50:49 PM  Show Profile Send beedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Key West Florida in the early '70s. Cotton string used for "baling" piles of magazines. Hmmm, what to do with all that fiber? I had a bare light bulb suspended from the 12-foot ceiling. I macramed (macrame was really big in the 70's) a chandelier-style lampshade which broke the hard glare into very interesting patterns that moved through the double doors of the old store front that I called "home".
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2362 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  11:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm confused, beedee, what in the last few posts is about your Desert Island stash?

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  05:27:30 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe she's remembering a different kind of "stash"! Yah, I'm a bit confused too.

http://www.virtualknitter.com
My NEW blog
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3952 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  4:46:37 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a reminder that bandwidth is not free.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

beedee
Seriously Hooked

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  3:36:30 PM  Show Profile Send beedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's see, where was I? Oh yeah, cotton baling yarn for a knotted lamp shade. At that time I had not yet made the acquaintance of some of the shrimp skeiners. To make a long yarn short, I was gifted a netting shuttle and my friend taught me how to knet.

Several months later, I visited Club Med Martinique. I took my very small wardrobe with me in the oversize knetted string bag. On my third or fourth day on the island, I decided to walk the beach into town, rather than the road.

I met a fisherman who had just hauled his boat (brightly painted in "Caribbean" colors) to shore. I nodded "bon jour", as did he. He looked questioningly at my string bag. I indicated that I had made it. He grinned and held up his net that he had been mending. I indicated that I didn't have my shuttle (by drawing its shape in the sand). So I mimed the movements of the shuttle through its passage and the resulting knotted mesh. A very bright memory of a friendly exchange of crafting techniques. It contrasted greatly with the rather dreary Club Med experience.
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2362 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  08:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
beedee, you have certainly had many different types of experiences in your life, and enjoy sharing them.

Have you thought about starting a blog? It would give you a format that would be ideally suited to sharing your crafting and life experiences, without trying to fit the stories into specific forum or topics tat have a different focus.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth