Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Searching for flesh-colored yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Schnitzel
Chatty Knitter

213 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  06:31:55 AM  Show Profile Send Schnitzel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am starting to knit Jean Greenhowe dolls and am having trouble finding a flesh-colored yarn. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks. Susan

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  07:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well. Flesh comes in a lot of colors. Which "flesh" do you mean?

I know this topic has come up before, but I can not find it using the search engine.

Try DMC floss.

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  07:31:23 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitpicks Shine in Coral isn't too far from my skin tone.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  08:25:29 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you don't mind working with cotton, Butterfly/Papillon yarn from Greece comes in all sorts of human skin tone sahdes. The only problem is that each hank is about 125g. Another great option is DMC tapestry thread.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

Cecioboe
Seriously Hooked

USA
824 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  9:30:03 PM  Show Profile Send Cecioboe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some Gedifra California in "tobacco" which is really a beigy flesh tone. I think it is color #3111.

Ceci

Aw, gee, c'mon and see: http://knittinreed.blogspot.com

Cecioboe on Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

Laurie K
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  10:39:25 PM  Show Profile Send Laurie K a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As it was said this has come up before. "Flesh" color- my goodness, Crayola gave up that "color" ages ago. Not politically correct in my book. Whose flesh are you referring to?

http://the-yarn-princess.blogspot.com/

"If men could knit, there would be no wars"
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  11:39:15 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schnitzel

I am starting to knit Jean Greenhowe dolls and am having trouble finding a flesh-colored yarn. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks. Susan

Hillary's? Barack's? "Flesh" is pretty vague, and sorta rude

[img]http://tinyurl.com/2jv8dq[/img]

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  06:51:02 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to respectfully say that I think it's more of a mistake to say it here with you people, ready to correct her, than rude. It's clear that Susan didn't mean any harm by it. Gee whiz. Okay, I'll say it for her. Does anyone know of any yarn colored just like practically all of Jean Greenhowe dolls? All you have to do is look on the covers of her booklets.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  07:29:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Think outside of the box (or in this case pattern).

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  07:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm Scottish, Irish, and English.

When I knit her dolls, I used the palest possible pink. Just barely not white.

"The web of our life is a Mingled Yarn, good and ill together."
All's Well That Ends Well, IV, iii
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  11:03:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the free pattern on her sight recommend patons astra (DK) which comes in 5 colors from white to dark tan.

Kelly
http://pieceofstring.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  11:20:24 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another case of getting one's knickers in a knot. In my experience when people say flesh coloured they mean the colour of their own flesh.

Go to Top of Page

Schnitzel
Chatty Knitter

213 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  1:31:46 PM  Show Profile Send Schnitzel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgive me. I have heard of other boards where someone is just waiting to find something wrong with what is said. It seems, if you don't have a constructive answer, be silent. To those who answered kindly, I appreciate your help. I guess I have learned my lesson, haven't I?
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  8:40:07 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mokey

Another case of getting one's knickers in a knot. In my experience when people say flesh coloured they mean the colour of their own flesh.

Tell that to Crayola. When I was a kid the flesh colored crayon was definitely no where near my skin tone. I'm glad they stopped calling it that.

Schnitzel, I know you meant no harm. In fact, I just laughed at the memory of those crayons.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  9:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schnitzel

Forgive me. I have heard of other boards where someone is just waiting to find something wrong with what is said. It seems, if you don't have a constructive answer, be silent. To those who answered kindly, I appreciate your help. I guess I have learned my lesson, haven't I?

Some of us think that asking for specific colors and telling you "flesh" is less than helpful IS constructive.

Go to Top of Page

knitnurse81
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  10:05:18 PM  Show Profile Send knitnurse81 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The soft peach color of this yarn might work
http://www.carodanfarm.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product196.html

"I can resist everything except temptation"- Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by