Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Mid-Gauge Machines
 Cone Yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HopkinGreen
Chatty Knitter

182 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  10:07:05 PM  Show Profile Send HopkinGreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Argh! They need a new topic here called "Machine Knitting Supplies". I'm half tempted to post this question in every machine category - because it's one that is universal to all serious machine knitters. (I think I'll only post it in mid and standard gauge machines for now.. but really, this is a question that can be answered by any machine knitter.)

Where do machine knitters get their yarn? I managed to get some cone yarn off of ebay and found some scattered resources - but not very many. It's very frustrating. It seems like most people offering cone yarn are in the UK and won't even ship to the states.

I have a nifty and wonderful cone winder that I use to get my various yarn balls into the form I would need for my knitting machine. But as you guys know, machine knitting really eats up the yarn by the mile - and it's kind of inconvenient to have to deal with all those loose ends when knitting with the traditional tiny yarn balls or skeins you'd find in your local LYS. I mean, I know it's only a loose end that needs to be woven in.. but depending on the yarn - it could get silly when machine knitting... especially if the yarn only comes in teeny tiny 50 gram balls. Frankly, when I get on a roll when I'm machine knitting, the last thing I want to have to do is to make frequent stops in order to add more yarn. Sometimes there's no getting around that if the *only* yarn I like for a particular project isn't sold in bulk anywhere. But there are many other projects I'd like to start where it would be handy to have the larger cones on hand.

So does anyone have any great resources for where to buy cone yarn?
Where do you guys go to get your yarn for machine knitting?

Thanks,

Elise

alegnaavlis@hotmail.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  09:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit alegnaavlis@hotmail.com's Homepage Send alegnaavlis@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Artfibers, in San Francisco (www.artfibers.com) sells yarn by the yardage on a cone. I think it's priced by weight. Their yarns are exquisite and gorgeous and therefore expensive.
Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Fraggle
Seriously Hooked

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  6:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fraggle's Homepage Send Fraggle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Webs (http://yarn.com) has coned yarn under weaving supplies. More than suitable for knitting as I'm working on two things from the cones right now.

~ Fraggle

". . . Or if you send me your size I'll knit you a new one" -Hawkeye on M*A*S*H

My websites:
Fraggle's World and For Me?! Knit-a-long
Go to Top of Page

henrythespaniel
New Pal

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  08:04:21 AM  Show Profile Send henrythespaniel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try this site looks good to me and will definitely try it.

http://www.catnipyarns.com/niphen.htm
Go to Top of Page

amoonsinger
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  3:47:31 PM  Show Profile Send amoonsinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.countryknittingofmaine.com there is yarn here also, is in the US.
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2041 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  10:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I don't know where you are located my suggestion would be to go to the manufactur's home page and search for stores in your area. If they sell machines they will have cone yarn. If you can find a store close by then you can go and play touch and feel!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2041 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  10:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I don't know where you are located my suggestion would be to go to the manufactur's home page and search for stores in your area. If they sell machines they will have cone yarn. If you can find a store close by then you can go and play touch and feel!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  5:01:34 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try:

http://www.cottonclouds.com/index.asp

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...Iím fairly certain that, given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world.

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  5:07:45 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alegnaavlis@hotmail.com

Hi, Artfibers,

wow....this is a great new find. Their yarn looks fabulous....and expensive!

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...Iím fairly certain that, given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe