Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 What constitutes an "interview suit" anymore?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  8:23:30 PM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punctuatedknitter

I find it interesting that cover letters in some businesses are basically useless. I think for most academic positions (professorships) they are very important. It is very interesting hearing about the cultural differences between fields.

Interesting. I was applying for assistant professorships this fall and my adviser told me that cover letters were basically useless, too. (I think he said he generally threw them out without reading them when he was on search committees, assuming the chair of the search committee hadn't thrown it out already.) It was the research statement (and to a lesser extent, the teaching statement) that was important. My cover letter basically just said in much more professional language, "I'm applying for a job, the stuff is in the envelope, I bothered to cut and paste your name and the name of the university into this letter, please give me a job, thanks!"

But I gather in some fields of academia there isn't a separate research statement? In that case, I can see that the cover letter would be vital, since I assume that's where all the stuff about your interests and experience would go.

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  7:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CatherineM
You have to feel your way through this stuff, and also realize that if it's that damn hard to negotiate the corporate culture, you may not want to be part of it.

Catherine
http://yorkiedog.blogspot.com

Damn straight, Cath.

Anyway, I hope that you are still doing the job search, since maybe you can get the next company to pay for the relocation....wouldn't that be a bonus? Best of luck anyway!
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  9:34:29 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When dealing with salary negotiations-Employer always has the final word. And their goal is to get the best person for the job at the lowest cost. Period.

They always ask you what you are looking for.

I always plug in 20-30% more than what I am willing to settle for. When they counter offer, it is usually right in the ball park that I wanted.

And rest assured, they probably would have gone higher.

They may say "No" at time of interview- but you may get the "Yes" at a later date.

I have been in positions where I just said "I believe my worth to you is not acceptable at this salary".

Guess what? I came in where I wanted to be. And Who knows? It may have been more!

Don't sell yourself short.

They have a figure in mind- as should you.

It is hard to say "No Thank You"- but it can really work in your favor. JMO, KL
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  9:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too true, KL.

Rule #1 in negotiations: Be prepared to say no and walk away, even if you don't want to....just be prepared and believe that you will, that way they will believe it too!

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  5:24:36 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, one of my interviews is in CO. Next week.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

counterculture
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  04:33:20 AM  Show Profile Send counterculture a Private Message  Reply with Quote
fidderbird, Good Luck to you and keep us posted. It's a lot of work finding work..I'm in the same boat
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  8:10:09 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I got the Colorado job, moving out in April, family joining me in June (school). FWIW, what really impressed folk was the cover letter. My actual qualifications are a bit eclectic, but I managed to come off as someone who can seriously think about what the group is trying to accomplish. Wish me luck finding a house. Interview suit was all black, unused inheritance from MIL (She had a personal shopper) with bright green (flattering on me) shirt underneath. Made up as much as I could endure, hair dyed rather badly but conservatively (hey, it was my first try).

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  8:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fiddlerbird555

Well, I got the Colorado job, moving out in April, family joining me in June (school). FWIW, what really impressed folk was the cover letter. My actual qualifications are a bit eclectic, but I managed to come off as someone who can seriously think about what the group is trying to accomplish. Wish me luck finding a house. Interview suit was all black, unused inheritance from MIL (She had a personal shopper) with bright green (flattering on me) shirt underneath. Made up as much as I could endure, hair dyed rather badly but conservatively (hey, it was my first try).

YAY for you!

On the cover letter, well just goes to show, you never can tell!

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

counterculture
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  05:01:41 AM  Show Profile Send counterculture a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awe, fiddlerbird555, you made my day! Congratulations! Thanks for the update. All the best to you!
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  07:42:43 AM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jaknit
Seriously Hooked

639 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  4:08:58 PM  Show Profile Send Jaknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great work fiddlerbird555! Best of luck with your move and your new job.

Jan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.