Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 So IS ball winding a lost art?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  7:54:14 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does ANYBODY else here wind balls by hand?

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  8:01:42 PM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I have to... But I have to admit it's not my favorite activity.

Knitting Pics at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16503167@N08/
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2756 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  8:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a ball winder, but sometimes, if I'm out, and the yarn is getting all gross and gloppy, or I'm finished with the project while out, I'll wind it up. It's not a big deal so long as it's less than a skein of anything dk and above for me!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  8:09:04 PM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't hand wind every yarn, but, many of them I do. Into a nice neat compact center pull ball, that stays in place as I knit.
Go to Top of Page

Audi
Chatty Knitter

106 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  9:31:50 PM  Show Profile Send Audi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still wind by hand. I've gone looking for a ball winder but can't seem to justify spending the money on one that will more then likely end up being a 'gaget' that I won't use, and my only real reason for even considering it is because of the runaway ball aspect. Besides I figure if I keep winding by hand I'll never have to worry about where I put my 'darn hands this time'.

Honestly I find taking the time to hand wind the ball enjoyable and kinda relaxing. And as odd as it may sound, I get a little thrill as I watch the skein get smaller and disappear as the ball gets bigger LOL.

Audi
Go to Top of Page

bfaye
Seriously Hooked

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  9:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaye's Homepage Send bfaye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two ball-winders, one small one and another for winding balls from very large skeins. I usually use a ball-winder but if the yarn is delicate, laceweight, ribbon, etc, I wind by hand. I also wind very bulky yarns by hand since they are usually short yardage skeins. There is a certain pleasurable rhythm in handwinding a ball of yarn and a nice time to think about what it will be when knitted or crocheted.

benne
http://feathersong.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  10:09:14 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never even considered wasting money on a silly gadget for something I enjoy doing manually.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  12:07:58 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do I find it relaxing.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  04:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer using my ball winder but I wind by hand when it's needed. It's not a gadget to me -- it's a useful tool, just like my needles are tools, and it makes my knitting time more pleasant!

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

cableready
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  05:07:09 AM  Show Profile Send cableready a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to wind by hand - using the center tube from a roll of toilet paper to make center pull balls. This works fine.

However, since I've had my swift and ball winder I haven't wound by hand. I really love the "team" and don't consider them gadgets.

Maybe they are like a salad spinner - one (wo)man's gadget is anothers necessity?

Pamela

Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  05:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far no ball-winder has shown up at my doorstep wanting a good home... So I use a nostepinne and do it by hand. By the way, does it make a practical difference whether you wind an "egg" (as was suggested in the winter Spin-Off, I believe) or a flat "cake" like a crochet cotton ball?

Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

adalton124
Seriously Hooked

659 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  06:12:16 AM  Show Profile Send adalton124 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a ball winder and swift for Christmas, and for winding things with a lot of yardage, like a 450 yd. skein of sock yarn, I'll pull it out every time. But if I need 1 last ball to finish knitting something, I'll very likely wind it by hand. I always did it 1 skein at a time, as needed, when I was without the winder. It was a nice change of activity for me and still part of the knitting process. But I still like my "gadgets".

Angela
Go to Top of Page

ClimberKnits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  06:37:37 AM  Show Profile Send ClimberKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still wind by hand, but have been in the market for a winder for a while now. I've been doing research on the best for the money. My son designed and built a swift from K'Nex toys for my last winding session. Made the winding go so much easier. We took pictures so that we can re-create it again later.
Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  07:15:20 AM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wind loose balls by hand, sometimes with the center out to be a center-pull ball and sometimes not, depending on whether I think about it or not.

Blessings,
Carla

She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands... Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

queen of the east
Seriously Hooked

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  08:44:22 AM  Show Profile Send queen of the east a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wind by hand. The yarn usually goes on a swift, sometimes on my knees(don't ask!). Depending on the yarn I wind it into balls or I use a nostepinne and wind it into stackable cakes.
I find the winding process very relaxing and like Audi I get a bit of a thrill watching the skein dwindle away. One of life's small pleasures.

Ann in Montreal
Go to Top of Page

Trout Lily
Chatty Knitter

172 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  10:37:34 AM  Show Profile Send Trout Lily a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wind by hand. I prop my feet up on the edge of the coffee table, knees bent, drape the skein over my knees, and wind balls. I don't mind it. I like the anticipation of starting something new while winding.

I like inspecting the length of the yarn for knots and any irregularities before starting to knit.

$35 for a plastic ball winder is more than I want to spend for something I can easily do by hand.
Go to Top of Page

bfaye
Seriously Hooked

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  10:48:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaye's Homepage Send bfaye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One consideration about using a ball winder for me is that it saves wear and tear on my arms, hands and shoulder. I can put a skein on the swift and wind a little at a time if I need to stop and rest the joints. It's a little risky when winding a large skein by hand that it may get tangled if I have to stop. I view my winder as a tool that I use to save time or energy so I can knit more. Sort of like using an electric screwdriver versus a hand screwdriver.

benne
http://feathersong.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

RuthKnits
Warming Up

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  11:02:50 AM  Show Profile Send RuthKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right now I wind skeins by hand and use the ball-winder for cone yarn. Winding cone yarn into balls by hand is a pain. Why, you are thinking, do I wind skeins by hand? Well, I answer, because although I have owned two swifts for years, when I finally spent the big bucks on a wool winder, the swifts are no where to be found. I put them somewhere "safe" until I could use them and now I can't find them. Isn't it always the way?
Ruth
Sheep Dip Cottage
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  2:04:47 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do both.

I thought my knitting life would change radically when I got a swift and ball winder. It didn't. There are times that it's just too much bother to get them out and set them up. So if I just need a ball or two, I'll do it by hand. But when I've got a lot of skeins to do, then I'll dig them out, clear off the table, and go to town.

Ruth, my swift is MIA at the moment too. Until I excavate the house and find it, it's hand winding all the way.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  5:07:06 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got 3 swifts, but hate them and don't even know where they've gotten off too. I have and use ball winders, both frequently find like Anne, it's too much trouble to get them out and clamped on. Mostly I wind by hand. I like winding different shaped balls. I can wind flat bottoms and usually produce a vase shape that sits nice and winds nice from the center.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  5:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like many of you, I use both methods. I like to use the ball winder and swift if I'm starting a big sweater project - sort of like shopping for groceries when planning a big holiday meal, it puts me into the mood. There are other times I wind by hand even if I have more than one skein to do. And for luxury yarns, winding by hand is just another chance for fiber fondling.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Now with actual blogging!:
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000