Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 How to do a YO before a purl stitch?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

geolover
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  2:33:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit geolover's Homepage Send geolover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am working on "Child's French Sock" form Knitting Vintage Socks. The pattern is like: "p YO n n n n \ / n n n n YO n". I knit in continental way. When I do a YO follow with a purl stitch, I enwind the yarn twice to make a stitch and for the following purl. Is this a correct way? I found that the hole in the left YO is larger than the YO in the right. I am confused and this happened in my other projects too. Please help me~ A million thanks!!

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  2:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're correct, but if the size difference bothers you, you can wrap the YO in the opposite direction and that should even it out.

"The web of our life is a Mingled Yarn, good and ill together."
All's Well That Ends Well, IV, iii
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

geolover
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  3:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit geolover's Homepage Send geolover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rosebyany!! I am so relieved now^^
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  7:57:26 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I misunderstand you, but you do not wrap the yarn twice! You do the same thing you do for a yarnover before a knit stitch, then move the yarn into position to purl. A YO is done the same regardless of what stitch comes before or after. The only difference is the starting and ending point.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  9:24:26 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you are going from a knit stitch to a YO purl then technically you are wrapping twice, moving it forward, wrapping for the yo kind of the same action. If you've already been purling you wrap once. At elast that's how I do it.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  07:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Folks, the bottom line is: a YO before a purl stitch is exactly the same thing as a YO before a knit stitch .... you make an "extra stitch (or loop if you will)" on your right needle without having first inserted the needle through an existing stitch. I'm sorry but I just don't see the confusion on this issue, probably because people tend to think about it too much and make it harder than it is.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

PamelaA3
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  07:59:48 AM  Show Profile Send PamelaA3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first time I worked a YO followed by a purl I was coming up short one stitch at the end of the row. I went back and read my stitches and each time the YO had disappeaared. Now, I know I had brought my yarn over that needle. Where did it go? At that point I had to think of it as two processes. First, I bring my yarn between the points to the front for the purl stitch, then I wrap the yarn for the YO which means bringing the yarn completely around the right needle and back to the front. This second step forces you to do a complete wrap around the needle so that the yarn is back in front position for the purl. It is different when followed by a knit. When followed by a knit just bring the yarn to the front and knit the next stitch. You will get an automatic wrap. This is a big difference.

I, too, noticed that this type of YO causes larger holes which I did not like so I started skipping the YO, doing the purl, then slipping the purl back to the left needle, picking up the yarn over, slipping the purl back to the right needle and going on. It takes extra work but I like the look better. I will have to try the alternate wrap method.

Happy Knitting,

Pam
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  08:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by knitz2

I'm sorry but I just don't see the confusion on this issue

Well, it's perfectly acceptable for someone to be confused on an issue that makes sense to you!

If (as a teacher) I say "wrap" to six different students, it's very possible that we come up with six different motions.

And she specifically mentioned that she was concerned about her obvious visual difference between her YOs depending on set up, which could lead anyone to think she was doing something wrong.

She's not, and an alternate solution was provided.

"The web of our life is a Mingled Yarn, good and ill together."
All's Well That Ends Well, IV, iii
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  1:13:25 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still don't see how you are calling it wrapping it twice. You only go over the top of the needle once. You are only doing one 360 degree wrap.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  8:28:00 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by achrisvet

I still don't see how you are calling it wrapping it twice. You only go over the top of the needle once. You are only doing one 360 degree wrap.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Yes, in essence you are just creating one 360 wrap, but when you actually purl the stitch it does seem as if you are wrapping it again just in the act of creating the stitch itself. You aren't technically doing a double wrap, but you are moving the yarn forward as if to purl, creating one wrap and ending back in the yarn in front position, then "wrapping" the yarn to create the purl stitch. So whil the technical definition would not be wrap twice, it does SEEM like you are. At least that's how I felt the first few times I YOed a purl.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  07:42:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I apologize to anyone I may have offended by my previous statement I "did not see the confusion on this issue." I worded my response poorly. what I really am trying to convey is that my perception is many people make too much of an issue of how to do a YO and that distinguishing between a YO before a purl from a YO before a knit when they really are the same thing just makes it worse.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  05:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitz2, I believe you are right. YOs are much easier if one doesn't think too much about them - and definitely there's no point in getting hung up over instructions. The basic idea is really simple: I want a loop on my needle where there wasn't a stitch before. And I want this loop to sit like all my other stitches - as I'm knitting western, that would be with the right leg in front of the needle.

With that in mind I can try out all the possibilities for wrapping the yarn around the needle till I have the loop I want. This basic idea works for YOs before knit stitches, purl stitches, at the beginning of a row or at the end of a row - doesn't matter. I just create a loop...

Happy knitting! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

sydo
Chatty Knitter

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  08:04:50 AM  Show Profile  Send sydo a Yahoo! Message Send sydo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geolover, I'm with you.

I am currently knitting a sock with YO's after purl stitches and before knits and then, a few stitches later, YO's after knit stitch and before a purl, both within an eight-stitch pattern repeat. I know exactly what geolover means. My YO's on one side of the repeat are smaller than on the other, and unless I have missed the boat all this time, it must be because the YO before the purl stitch must wrap clear around the needle in order to become a loop, whereas the YO before a knit stitch needs only to cross the top of the needle front(where the yarn is already) to back. At least that is what I am doing.

If there is a way to have both YO's exactly the same size, please, somebody clue me in!

Sydo
Go to Top of Page

geolover
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  2:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit geolover's Homepage Send geolover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried several ways according to your discussions, and the result is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hueiweiku/2267057033/?deletedcomment=1
I think pick up and knit, or M1, at the next row is the best way to even the different size holes!
However, since I have done most of them in regular way, I have to finish the other one in the same regular way....

My photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hueiweiku/
Go to Top of Page

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  6:36:22 PM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I find it helpful to realize that what I am doing when I do a YO before a purl stitch results in a larger-than-seemingly-normal loop. Once I know it's the case, I just simply accept it, plan for it, and rejoice in the fact that I have done it correctly! It actually becomes a point I look forward to in the knitting since I know it.

Moreover, I'm confident that it will all come out fine in the blocking...

Knitting Pics at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16503167@N08/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?