Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Those Little Knitting Secrets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  06:21:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My secret is that if stitch markers became illegal I would stop knitting.

Stitch markers are my friends roadmarkers for any kind of pattern other than straight garter stitch, no wait, I needed them for the garter stitch Baby Surprise Jacket.

And your secret is.......

GFTC of NYC

www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
click here for free sock pattern

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  06:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found knitting mostly uninteresting after moving here.

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
Go to Top of Page

cozystitches
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  07:17:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit cozystitches's Homepage Send cozystitches a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love to work on "easy" things. Or at least easy to me. I have no problem designing (and making) a sock yarn sweater for me working from the top down. But doing a complicated lace or cable pattern, nope...lol

Hugs,
tammy

Tammy my Blog http://cozystitches.wordpress.com/
http://www.cozystitches.com
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  07:21:12 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Atavistic

I found knitting mostly uninteresting after moving here.

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)

Really? Why is that? Are the LYS not inspiring? Too far away from your stash back home?

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  07:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by achrisvet[/i
Really? Why is that? Are the LYS not inspiring? Too far away from your stash back home?

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Yarn does not impress me here, but more than that I think the taekwondo, learning a new language, learning a new culture, getting fired (and man, did that take some work!), getting evicted, going to court, my mom and stepdad coming for a visit, multiple black belt tests, finally landing a good job, dealing with men and love, getting back into SLR photography, traveling abroad, making good friendships...

Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  07:41:19 AM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lifelines ---- LIFELINES--------L*I*F*E*L*I*N*E*S!!!!. One of the first things I taught my friend when I was teaching her to knit. It meant I did a lot less knitting repairing her work because she was "too stressed to learn how". Her husband has terminal cancer and I'm letting her coast on this one because knitting has been a tremendous help for her during this time and I'll continue making her repairs for now. Besides, it has been good for me too because I've learned a huge amount about how to fix it. Eventually, I'm going to make her learn to do it herself. When she calls, I answer my phone "Knitting Repair, Inc." She is not amused. LOL.

Don't worry about the world ending today - it's already tomorrow in Australia. (Unk.)
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  07:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's see...my knitting secret is that I ABHOR knitting back and forth. I much prefer knitting things that have to be done in the round. For some reason, I love the continuous rhythm of just going and going...I hate the business of stopping and turning the work around -- sort of like the old days when you had to push the typewriter roller back at the end of a row (I'm dating myself here).

PAM

WIP = Afghan (crochet), Knit Your Bit Scarf for the WWII Museum (knit - charity), Scrap Sweater (knit)

Done this year = Scrap Scarf (knit), Gloves (knit), Mittens (knit), Afghan (crochet)

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  08:05:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Approaching knitting projects with my previous fiber work experience as a background. I don't knit it a vacuum--I'm always thinking of things I've learned from sewing, weaving, embroidery, spinning, etc as I knit. It makes a huge difference for me, and I borrow tools from other crafts whenever I need to.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Join the KR Webring: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4383 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  08:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love casting on. I love the way the stitches look all in a row, and I love knowing that I am about to embark on a new adventure!

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  08:24:59 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I would say that my knitting secret is to stop taking shortcuts. Do all the work and you will be happier with your results. Take the time to get measurements and don't guess or take someone's word for it. Most people have no idea what their bust measurement it, just what they want it to be. If in doubt check their weight on their driver's licenses.
Do those gauge swatches.
Test knit complicated patterns.

The truth is that doing all the steps is the shortest way to a satisfactory job.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  08:32:08 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't laugh at me...knitting throught the back loop will align a stitch incorrectly mounted on the needle. Took me a long time to figure that one out.

I like knitting with single-ply. I love the feel of the yarn slipping through my fingers. I love anyting angora, even if it sheds and gets in my eyes.

Angie
My pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26414328@N00/
My blog: http://zippyzinnia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  09:55:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fmarrs

I guess I would say that my knitting secret is to stop taking shortcuts. Do all the work and you will be happier with your results. Take the time to get measurements and don't guess or take someone's word for it. Most people have no idea what their bust measurement it, just what they want it to be. If in doubt check their weight on their driver's licenses.
Do those gauge swatches.
Test knit complicated patterns.

The truth is that doing all the steps is the shortest way to a satisfactory job.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/

Hahaha. I work at Curves, so I am very aware of that. I actually know my bust measurement, and my waist, abdomen, hips, thighs, and arms. I am probably one of only a few overweight women who is honest on her driver's license, simply 'cause I am proud of the weight I have lost. Also, people refuse to believe I weigh as much as I do. It amuses and flatters me.

Anyway, my knitting secret? I think I may be a bit OCD. I have never counted before, but have recently (like, in the last couple months) started doing the math on how many pattern repeats I have for what I am making, then how many rows that makes, and then how many stitches. Even though thousands of stitches should sound daunting, it seems to help me get my projects done when I know just how much is left. My current project is Palindrome. I want the scarf to be 5 feet long. I figured out a repeat of the cable pattern is about an inch. I have 20 done, so 40 to go. That is 240 rows, or 9600 stitches, left on the scarf. I guess it also helps sharpen my mind to do math like that when I am doing something I enjoy. Normally I don't like math.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]

Not all Dumbs are Blonde.
[img]http://www.survivor-online.co.uk/images/pots/pot003.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

tink_r_bell
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  10:07:30 AM  Show Profile Send tink_r_bell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My little secret is that I HATE[:-P] to swatch. i usually just wing it, then frog if I have to. I knit pretty consistently to gauge so I let the swatching slide. Some day that is going to bite me somewhere! Oh well, I'll just continue to live in utopia, where yarn and patterns do not need time outs (2 at the moment!).

Steph ;-}

To err is human, just try not to over do it.
Go to Top of Page

aprilshowers
Chatty Knitter

295 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  10:23:05 AM  Show Profile Send aprilshowers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My secret is that I get so much joy out of removing the yarn from my stash spreadsheet at the end of a project and seeing that "total yardage" go down that sometimes I rush to finish up a project just so I can get to the computer and update my data. I know, I am a total dork.

My other secret is that I think most hand-dyed yarns are prettier in the skein than knit up (and downright ugly wound into a yarn cake).

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2753 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  10:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My OCD kicks in too, Brandy. I have to calculate how many stitches are in each project. I don't do it with sweaters as much, but anything that is easily calculated, blankets, socks, hats, scarves, etc. I calculate! I think it's why I work in accounting...

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  11:40:53 AM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aprilshowers

My secret is that I get so much joy out of removing the yarn from my stash spreadsheet at the end of a project and seeing that "total yardage" go down that sometimes I rush to finish up a project just so I can get to the computer and update my data. I know, I am a total dork.

My other secret is that I think most hand-dyed yarns are prettier in the skein than knit up (and downright ugly wound into a yarn cake).

My secrets too, except that I get more pleasure out of updating my WIPS and FOs lists than my stash spreadsheet. There is something intoxicating about moving a WIP to a FO list and filing all the appropriate materials in a folder in my projects book.

Another secret---I loathe seed, moss, and any other stitch based on k1 p1. I make an exception for short lengths of ribbing.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

2totangle
Permanent Resident

1212 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  12:01:26 PM  Show Profile Send 2totangle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My secret is that even though I swatch every time, I often find that my gauge on the actual project is different from the swatch. Somehow, I usually manage to maintain consistent gauge within a project (and frog ruthlessly if my gauge is off), and my FOs fit. But for some reason, swatching only gets me in the ballpark as to needle size. Go figger. [**]

Suzanne

A few pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  12:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You people have STASH SPREADSHEETS??? I have three plastic bins under the beds at home, where I rummage around when I need yarn. I sort of have an idea of what's in each bin, but I don't have an exact list <LOL>.

PAM

WIP = Afghan (crochet), Knit Your Bit Scarf for the WWII Museum (knit - charity), Scrap Sweater (knit)

Done this year = Scrap Scarf (knit), Gloves (knit), Mittens (knit), Afghan (crochet)

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  1:26:41 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only swatch about 2" wide and just long enough to measure guage width wise. I never measure length because I just stop when it's done right? Then I frog the swatch, and use that to start my project.
I also won't seam unless I absolutely have to! I'll kitchener before I sew a seam. I will try to adapt any pieced pattern to be one continuous piece, if I can't, I probably won't knit it.
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  1:29:36 PM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PBELKNAP

You people have STASH SPREADSHEETS??? I have three plastic bins under the beds at home, where I rummage around when I need yarn. I sort of have an idea of what's in each bin, but I don't have an exact list <LOL>.

Ah, Pam, I think that when your stash can still fit under the beds, you probably don't need a spreadsheet. I don't do spread spreadsheets or consistently document my knitting. That could count as one of my knitting secrets (see, like yarn, you can't have enough for just one project). I'm proud to say I use markers liberally on my lace projects (it drives me bonkers when other knitters tell lace newbies that they don't use them because they are a nuisance). I use the time I save from not updating sprreadsheets to swatching and blocking for lace shawls and scarves where the prevailing belief is that "gauge isn't important".
Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  2:14:20 PM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2totangle

My secret is that even though I swatch every time, I often find that my gauge on the actual project is different from the swatch. Somehow, I usually manage to maintain consistent gauge within a project (and frog ruthlessly if my gauge is off), and my FOs fit. But for some reason, swatching only gets me in the ballpark as to needle size. Go figger.

The same thing is true for me, except for the part about it being my secret. I complain about it volubly to my knitting group every time it happens -- it's probably the least secret thing about my knitting. :-)

My secret, such as it is: I spend a lot more time reading about knitting, looking at pictures of FOs, thinking about stuff I'd like to knit, feeling like I ought to knit but don't really feel like it, or thinking that I WILL knit just as soon as I finish chore X (then procrastinating chore X by surfing the Internet)... then I spend actually knitting.

The rate at which I produce FOs is a testimony to this. :-)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?