Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Those Little Knitting Secrets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  2:38:00 PM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My secret is that I have checked the Vogue Knitting site 3 times already today to see if the spring preview is up.

See, I have this sky blue DK cotton that I desperately want to make into a summer top for myself but haven't found just the right project yet. . .
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  4:25:11 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punctuatedknitter

My secret is that I have checked the Vogue Knitting site 3 times already today to see if the spring preview is up.

See, I have this sky blue DK cotton that I desperately want to make into a summer top for myself but haven't found just the right project yet. . .

But is it? I've been restraining myself from checking today.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  5:31:36 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My secrets?
I get bored with ribbings.
I can do them for a pair of mittens because there are so few stitches you get the ribbing down before you can get bored.

Tees, vests - I avoid any pattern that starts of K2, P2, next row P2, K2. To me that just means an unfinished object. I like being able to jump right into the pattern.

Stitch markers - I have them on my needles with the top I am making. I don't use them for doing the pattern, I have them spaced out every 20 stitches so when I count stitches to make sure I am not missing any, I don't have to count 1-89. 1-20, 1-20, etc last set 1-19.

I am making my first tee - first project with sleeves. This is outside of the box for me as I like quick projects that are fun. The tee is fun but it takes a lot longer to make a tee than a clutch or a dishcloth

Knitting is both relaxing and challenging for me depending on what I need it to be.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  7:07:52 PM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abt1950

quote:
Originally posted by Punctuatedknitter

But is it? I've been restraining myself from checking today.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper

Time #4 and it appears not.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  8:12:12 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My secret? Historically speaking, every time that I start more than two projects the biggest ones bog down because I want to finish the little ones first. This has to STOP! Why can't I work on two or more at a time without dissing the sweater or shawl? I blame socks.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

Alunissage
Chatty Knitter

129 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  8:26:11 PM  Show Profile Send Alunissage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate cutting yarn. I'm always afraid I'll run out of that long out of print one-skein-only yarn. So I'll unravel my swatch over and over until I'm absolutely sure it's what I want, and even so sometimes I'll just stuff it into the ball and knit from the other end in case I need that yarn at the end. This probably has to do with my tendency to only get one ball of a yarn I like and then marinate it in my stash for years.
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  04:42:57 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My secret is stitch markers too. Even if I memorize the pattern, I want that security because you never know when my brain enters a dead zone.

Like Fran said, no short cuts! Short cut = disappointment

Since I like large projects, but get fussy before they are done, my secret is to have several small projects waiting so I can take a break.

I always make sure the next project has something new and challenging in it. I want to learn and perfect, even if it is a small scarf.

Need a quick present? Multidirectional scarf! I know this is against what I said above, but it is tried and true, fun and easy.

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  05:13:22 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meribeth, what's the multidirectional scarf?

New blog, not about knitting, but I bet it keeps sneaking in: http://greenbananascancerblog.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

schrafinator
Chatty Knitter

332 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  05:16:16 AM  Show Profile Send schrafinator a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2totangle

My secret is that even though I swatch every time, I often find that my gauge on the actual project is different from the swatch. Somehow, I usually manage to maintain consistent gauge within a project (and frog ruthlessly if my gauge is off), and my FOs fit. But for some reason, swatching only gets me in the ballpark as to needle size. Go figger. [**]

Me too, all the time!
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  05:23:14 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My secret is...I get bored with big projects. The bigger it is, the more likely it will never get finished. I don't like K1, P1 patterns - ribbing or seed/moss stitch. And I actually enjoy making dishcloths out of cheap cotton - all those bright, happy colors! I probably make about 75-100 every year. I like learning new things, but don't enjoy really complicated projects that require constant referral to a pattern/chart. For instance, I will make a fair isle HAT, but not a sweater. I want to be able to watch a movie or visit while knitting, so chart watching reminds me too much of counted cross stitch, which I quit for these same reasons.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

schrafinator
Chatty Knitter

332 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  05:27:41 AM  Show Profile Send schrafinator a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lella

My secret? Historically speaking, every time that I start more than two projects the biggest ones bog down because I want to finish the little ones first. This has to STOP! Why can't I work on two or more at a time without dissing the sweater or shawl? I blame socks.

Zippiknits

LOL! I am exactly the opposite.

I have a worsted cabled scarf, a sport weight baby hooded cardigan, and a slightly cabled worsted cardigan vest for the DH on the needles right now. They were cast on in that order; the scarf three months ago, the baby hoodie two months or so ago, and the man's vest only two weeks ago.

All I want to work on is the vest! The scarf is turning out beautifully, but it is only half done. If I worked on it for an hour a day, it would be done in less than a week. I have only the sleeves and hood, then the picking up of the button bands and the finishing for the baby hoodie. If I devoted more time to THAT, it could be done in no time, it is such a little thing.

But no, all my hands want to do is this vest. I am just a few inches short of being done with the back, and the DH is a 45" chest.

Funny how that is.

Go to Top of Page

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  07:01:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like sweaters. I don't know why. They are perfectly innocent and some are even pretty. I can handle long projects--I've made very large afghans but sweaters, ick.

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."

http://hissyknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  08:39:41 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I plan future projects in my head. Sometimes this is very good when I can't sleep or am otherwise stressed. Right now I'm trying to prioritize hats & mittens for DH & the kids. (We're moving to cold country, and I've got a stash of double-knit yarn from DH's neck tube that was supposed to be a scarf except it was taking forever and he wanted it THIS winter. A hat would probably take as long. Don't have much yarn picked out for kids. Have a couple skeins variegated acrylic that they'd like, but don't have circular needles of the right size. Kids would love tubular kitty hats, but don't have the yarn for it yet.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  11:34:01 AM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PBELKNAP
For some reason, I love the continuous rhythm of just going and going...I hate the business of stopping and turning the work around

That's me right now. I'm knitting two pant legs on one circular, and there's a lot of pulling yarn and pushing stitches involved. It didn't bother me before, but this time, it IRRITATES the heck out of me! I just want to knit and knit and knit, not mess around like this.
Guess I'll need to find a different project!
Go to Top of Page

Terryknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  1:10:01 PM  Show Profile Send Terryknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rarely have more than 2 projects going at one time. Usually I make sure I only have one project going. It is hard but knowing myself I am afraid I would have all these WIP and never finish any. Of course while I am working on one project my mind is on the next one. I either order more yarn or “dream” about the next thing I will be doing. It is tough not to pick up and start something new, but I try not to.

In addition I agree with others markers are my very good friend. It keeps my “dreaming” mind (see above) from being on auto-pilot and missing an instruction.

Terry
Go to Top of Page

SkeinHerder
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  1:34:58 PM  Show Profile Send SkeinHerder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love getting knitted related stuff in the mail! I love magazines, catalogs, yarn of the month, and I'm now looking for a sock of the month club. I don't have time to make all the projects I drool over, but I am always planning ahead. I get so excited it's like Christmas!

I also get so excited about my future projects, I can't wait to start them before I finish a project. My fiance is constantly joking about all my wip's all over the house and how many I'll actually finish. It's like my wip's challenge to see how many I can have going at once and finish in a timely manner just to prove him wrong. Currently I have 4, but am getting ready to cast on 5!

S:)

Happiness is an inside job.
Go to Top of Page

jwaid97
Chatty Knitter

135 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  1:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit jwaid97's Homepage Send jwaid97 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hissyknit

I don't like sweaters. I don't know why. They are perfectly innocent and some are even pretty. I can handle long projects--I've made very large afghans but sweaters, ick.

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."

http://hissyknit.blogspot.com/

Me neither. I have made several afghans and a couple of lace shawls so long projects don't bother me but I hate knitting sweaters. I love to sew and make some of my own clothing so I don't know why I don't enjoy knitting sweaters. I thought I was the only one and figured it was some kind of knitting sin..

Joanna

Check out my website www.rxknitter.com or blog www.rxknitter.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  4:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My knitting secret is that sometimes I enjoy the hunt as much (or sometimes more) than the feast. I love researching yarns, prices, collecting patterns (over 400+ so far!), etc. It's a good thing too since my budget is kind of minimal for knitting related purchases right now.

Another secret...I don't really like teaching at a knitting group or unexpectedly. I like it to be scheduled I suppose. My knitting group is "me" time and often the only time I get to knit. I do enjoy passing along the addiction though!

Chia

http://munkiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  11:04:51 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
schrafinator, that's really interesting that you are racing away with the newest and biggest. LOL

And, I do love sweaters, but I'm bogged down on this Aran for some reason. It would please DH so much to see it finished and he is REALLY kind and I love him and all but this sweater....... [**] And the shawl was going great until I started four small projects. Insert *tears out hair* smilie.. Chia, isn't that fun, getting a project together? It's so exciting. GFTC, I love stitch markers for the same reason. Terry, I'm swearing off having more than one project ever again. For me, it just doesn't work.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

Eleanor
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
583 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  11:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Eleanor a Yahoo! Message Send Eleanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My knitting secret is "enjoying whatever I'm working on (the pattern first of all, the yarn and the thought of seeing my knitting being used by whomever I'm knitting for1) I carry my knitting with me whenever I know I'll be "waiting" and usually I don't when I do bring it! lol At home. I have a basket that contains my current project and all it's amenities, plus scissors, tape measure, stitch holders, copy of pattern, etc.; which goes wherever I happen to settle to knit! I use whatever will be necessary to make "remembering" easier, such as st holders, row counters, etc. and don't depend on my remembering, 'cause when I'm half asleep and knitting I reap the mistakes the next day and have a lot of "frogging" to do. 'Just having that marker on the needle when I do pattern repeats helps me not make a mistake! that's it for now! lol
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?