Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 What would be your ideal yarn storage?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Amarula
Chatty Knitter

213 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  5:50:19 PM  Show Profile Send Amarula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
..Plastic bins? Cedar chests? A dresser with drawers just for yarn? Some ideas, please!!

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  6:21:46 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just bought some 4 drawer clear plastic storage units on wheels from Target and love them. They are about 48" high. I need 2 more and I am good to go. I like because I see in the drawers and don't have to open to look thru everything. Plus I love them being on wheels. Easy to move around. There are 2 deep drawers and 2 smaller drawers. In the smaller drawers I put my specialty and lace weight yarn. My project left overs go in clear big bins.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  9:00:59 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40047675
You can buy clear plastic bins, wicker baskets, cabinet doors and drawers all to go in the cubbies or use them plain as a book shelf

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  9:06:54 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like a beautifully crafted, heirloom quality cedar chest.
What do I actually use? Plastic bags in wicker baskets.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  9:49:25 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A walk in cedar lined closet would be ideal, with shelves all along the sides. Ziploc bags that are made for vegetable storage in the fridge ( do they still make those?) would be the second level of storage. Ya, I'd think that was about perfect.

Reality? It's all over the house. It's in the closet of the storage room, packed to the ceiling of that, in hamper baskets and other baskets, in over stuffed yarn totes hung to all sides of a hat rack, and several clear bins, stacked on top of a dresser in the storage room. It's insane. That's the only thing that could account for this behavior. But then I did go through the yarn drought of the 80's. That was truly horrid.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

queen of the east
Seriously Hooked

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  9:59:58 PM  Show Profile Send queen of the east a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My ideal yarn storage unit would be a made of cedar, take up lots of wall space and have drawers of different sizes with glass windows in them.

My reality is like that of many other knitters, plastic bags of yarn stuffed into wicker baskets in a corner of my living room and plastic bags and bins in the closets.

I keep dreaming of the day when I have the room originally designated as a studio, now refered to as "the basement", cleared of no longer used tools and junk and organized for knitting, sewing and artwork.

Ann in Montreal
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  05:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MindyO

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40047675
You can buy clear plastic bins, wicker baskets, cabinet doors and drawers all to go in the cubbies or use them plain as a book shelf

That's exactly what I have, and I love it. I have the square wicker basket/drawers for most of the cubbies, and a few other baskets that happen to fit in others, and two cubbies full of quilting cottons. It fits perfectly in its spot under the knee wall in my studio.

The rest of my fabric is in an antique dresser my Mom gave me when she moved a couple of years ago, and my spinning fibers are sorted on shoe shelves in the closet.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Join the KR Webring: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  08:29:31 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the Ikea link. I like that.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  09:34:14 AM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gwtreece

Thanks for the Ikea link. I like that.

Wanda
My Blog

You're welcome! I'm hoping if we ever finish the basement we will move what is currently the play room down there move the dining table in and out of my extremely cramped kitchen, then I can get one of those 2x4 shelves, lay it on its side and use it as yarn storage/ buffet. Get a couple of the drawer inserts for all my gadgets, tools, needles and accesories. And limit myself to that space and my WIP basket for yarn. Can't buy more until you use some! Posibly if room permits, get a second one and stand it on end to make an L shape and actually use it as dish storage as well, for all those glass bowls you never use.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  11:15:29 AM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a walk-in freezer lined with glass-fronted shelves

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

nlnitter
Chatty Knitter

166 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  12:12:44 PM  Show Profile Send nlnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mostly use plastic bins. Cheap, easy to see what you have if you buy clear ones, and they keep dust and critters away.

My corner of the bloggernet http://makingit-sj.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  09:02:09 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A very large room all to myself, with floor to ceiling shelves, a good work table, space to have my wheels out,tv, DVD and comfortable sofa, internet access and a "Here be dragons...KEEP OUT" sign on the door.

http://spinningfishwife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

schrafinator
Chatty Knitter

332 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  05:07:38 AM  Show Profile Send schrafinator a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Amarula

..Plastic bins? Cedar chests? A dresser with drawers just for yarn? Some ideas, please!!

If I'm dreaming?

An entire room, completely lined with cedar, with floor-to-ceiling cedar shelving, lined baskets scattered about, and an air purifier and dehumidifier to remove dust and moisture from the air.

Oh, and it should have windows for natural light, but good sheers or some kind of curtain to keep bright direct light out, so nothing fades.

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  07:26:18 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to be able to see what I have all at once. I hate wicker so I use those hanging fabric compartment thingies from Ikrappa.

In a perfect world I would have a cubby system like a yarn shop.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  07:29:28 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hokay- here is what my dream is.

A private 900 sq. ft. sanctuary with ceiling to floor windows. A 10x10 Cedar lined/shelved closet. Cedar boxes with glass fronts; and all fiber classified NOT by colour, but by classification. Alpaca, Cashmere, etc.

Needle wall bins divided by size.

A chest to hold all the various multitude of knitting bags that I seem to collect.

An over sized chair/ottoman and wall mounted screen with every dish channel known to man.[:00]

A sound surround system that can blow the roof off if I want. Opera, Classical/Jazz does need optimum sound after all.

My Drawing table near a North facing window. One wall of cork, ceiling to floor; for drying watercolours, fiber cards, design ideas, etc.

Art supplies in built in cupboards- including a pull out for paper.

And Valk Scot's sign- "Here be Dragon's" Can I pay you royalties and borrow your sign

And a big pillow for my 4 legged companions. No 2 legged allowed.[:00]

A small wood stove would be nice also. KL
Go to Top of Page

jinniver
Chatty Knitter

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  8:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jinniver's Homepage Send jinniver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we're talking just the yarn storage part, I would love to have a floor to ceiling cedar shelving unit that completely covers one wall with diamond shaped compartments (like you'd see in some nicer wine stores or in a wine cave). The skeins would lay in there very nicely. Another wall would be covered with flat shelving for my fabric, leaving the third wall for me to put up my full sized design board and hang all of my tools for knitting and quilting. I'm stealing KL's floor to ceiling windows for my fourth wall (coated for UV protection to keep my fabrics and yarn from fading, of course!). The island in the center of my room, which would be a full sized cutting table would also have ready storage underneath for the fabric and yarn for my WIPs.

Right now, though, my yarn is crammed into the top 2 shelves of the book shelf in my office, stacked just so pulling the bottom skein out causes the rest to top on to the floor...

Jen, 33 y/o Navy wife with 3 y/o son and 4 month old daughter

Last project - "Ugg" booties for my niece in black and hot pink complete! (See them here!)
WIP - Baby quilting and bedding for my daughter's crib; a long garter knit scarf with ribbon yarn
Next project - Knitted shoes for my baby girl from "Baby Knits"

The Sarah Winchester of Fiber Arts
Go to Top of Page

Amarula
Chatty Knitter

213 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  3:12:55 PM  Show Profile Send Amarula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, several of you have mentioned cedar shelving. But if it's open (not closed drawers), is that enough to repel moths?
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2362 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  6:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just put up photos into my flickr album this week, of my studio and the yarn storage wall. They are in the "studio" set under my id - srjny.

(There's another set of photos of my yaks - the cutest fiber animals I've ever had!)

Oh, and I don't trust open cedar bins and shelves against moths, that's why my yarn and fiber is in closed containers.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

RowanFalar
New Pal

21 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  06:09:06 AM  Show Profile Send RowanFalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is some serious stash you have going on. Mine is in either 69 litre totes, or pink Mary Maxim bags at the moment. Most of my yarn is synthetic fibres, so I don't worry about moths and such.
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  7:30:41 PM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My yarn got confined in storage room in boxes... *so sad*. Ideally I want LYS setup kind of thing. KL is very detailed in saying what she wants.
Go to Top of Page

RowanFalar
New Pal

21 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  06:04:47 AM  Show Profile Send RowanFalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a husband who THINKS he knows how much yarn I have. If I had an LYS setup, he'd know. And my cats would adhere to the stereotype and DESTROY my yarn.

Better to have it tucked away, safe and sound, than start an argument. Right?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?