Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Why. oh why
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  6:53:38 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a great stash, BUT I have 1,000 yds in this and 1,200 in that and I need at least 1,700 to 1,800. My stash isn't new so I can't find or buy any repl. I have a nice little spring cardigan I want to make in a lovely brown. I have 2 very lovely browns in my stash, but not enough in either, the one is a nice dk merino wool and the other is a cotton blend. So maybe I should just forget the whole thing and stick to my wips. These decision can be so frustrating. Of course it would be nice to find a nice wool/cotton blend. Oh what to do, what to do?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  6:59:57 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why go buy enough yarn to make the cardigan, of course.
Go to Top of Page

Genuine
New Pal

44 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  7:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Genuine's Homepage Send Genuine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Ditzy, if you're me, you have 100 yds of this, or 400 yards of this. So stop whining.

I'm just kidding. This is the perfect excuse for you to buy yarn.

A little snark, and sweaters. My blog.
http://thelumpysweater.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  7:34:49 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Body in one brown, arms in another? Stripes? Buy more!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/
Go to Top of Page

temari
Gabber Extraordinaire

497 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  7:45:32 PM  Show Profile Send temari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No solution, but I know what you mean. Sometimes I wonder why I purchased the yarn in the first place, other than "it was on sale".
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  7:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit knottyknitter's Homepage Send knottyknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too bad you don't have any LYS near by :)

http://blog.kittyknitter.com
My blog at Kitty's Knitterbox
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  05:10:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I were you, I'd
  • make a mult-coloured garment; or
  • finish my WIPs; or
  • get a copy of 'Odd Balls' or 'One Skein'...
and keep on knittin'!

Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  05:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Put out an ISO alert and maybe you can find the balance of the yarn that you need. Everyone has aging stash so you might get lucky. Try KR, elann, Ravelry, and any other message board with an ISO feature.

GFTC of NYC

www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
click here for free sock pattern
Go to Top of Page

Alunissage
Chatty Knitter

129 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  12:34:24 PM  Show Profile Send Alunissage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for interrupting, but I've been wondering for a while what ISO stands for. I mean, I have the gist, but I'm wondering what the actual letters stand for. The best I've come up with is I Seek One but that seems too small a quantity to be the real answer...
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  12:37:25 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Search Of. But I like yours too, It's very close!

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  12:55:33 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by knottyknitter

Too bad you don't have any LYS near by :)

http://blog.kittyknitter.com
My blog at Kitty's Knitterbox

[:00][:00]
You folks in Zola's area have some of the BEST LYS. Not that I want to enable her or anything.

M L
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  2:18:18 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easy two-part solution:

1) Go buy yarn to make your cardigan.

2)Figure out what kind of garment(s) you can make with the yardage you've got. Depending on your size and gauge of the yarn, you might be able to get something sleeveless or short sleeved out of what you've got. Think either a vest or a summer top and go from there.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  4:55:37 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Milinda, Knotty and I are friends. She is being a smarty pants, but other than that she really is a nice lady. I can't buy any new until I finish a project. Hopefully this will keep me moving forward on what I am working on.
Oh I almost forgot Hilltop is starting to get the new yarn in. The store is still pretty empty though.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  6:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lella

In Search Of. But I like yours too, It's very close!

Zippiknits

but use your Leonard Nimoy voice....

"This week we go in search of the elusive silk and cashmere bulky weight yarn perfect for....."

[:00][:00][:00]

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  06:56:10 AM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several people in our knitting group have been making the Adult Surprise jacket using a variety of yarns - colors, textures. They look great. Just an idea for a stash buster.
Go to Top of Page

cena
Warming Up

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  5:21:18 PM  Show Profile Send cena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Make a stripey shawl.
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  9:13:09 PM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go buy your yarn online.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  12:08:30 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tonight I bought some beautiful blue Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. Little Knits had it on sale at half price. So now I am all set. Thanks for all the advice.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1436 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  06:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do the two browns match? Are the yarn diameters somewhat similar? Then how about knitting one row with the merino and the next one with the cotton blend? That way you'd have a cotton/wool cardigan knitted from your stash (big pat on the back!) ;-)

Good luck! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  07:00:22 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No they don't match at all. Colors are good but not the yarn itself.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  5:37:10 PM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zola, IMHO you did the right thing in buying new yarn for your cardigan.

I've found myself in similar situations, with a little of this and a little of that. Then a fit of guilt and wishful thinking, I buy a little of something else that I think will combine with the other two yarns.

Bah! it's a false economy that rarely works as well as you hope it will. Anne's advice is sound: figure out what you CAN make with the yardage you have.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?