Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Isn't it amazing . . . .
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

linann
Warming Up

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  05:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Send linann a Yahoo! Message Send linann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't it amazing how many different items can be made by knowing how to do one little stitch - knit. I know some people say there are two stitches - knit and purl, but I think that a purl is just doing the back side of a knit.

I created a new knitting machine. I taught my 35 year old daughter to knit. None of the kids wanted to learn when they were little, too much going on I guess. It amazed her at how easily she picked it up. She decided she had learned some of it just by watching me while I had been knitting all of those years. Kind of like osmosis I guess. It is amazing how our minds work.

I taught her three cast ons, how to bind off, frogging, picking up a dropped stitch, and how to "unknit". After 4 rows of garter stitch she started to improvise.

She said she could see patterns running through her head. She was full of question about how to get the results.

She has been buying yarn for a while now just because of the color and textures. I may not be my son-in-law's favorite mother-in-law any more. No wait - I am his only mother-in-law so my title is safe.

I asked her how the knitting was coming. She said she frogged the piece she had started and is arranging her yarn into color patterns for a new project.

She studied the swatch she made at my house and decided that she could read it now and was extremely happy.

Linda

knittymommy
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  06:07:43 AM  Show Profile Send knittymommy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Linda that's awesome! I love how every person can learn the same basic knit stitch, and then put their own spin on it. That's probably why it has such sutaining power, everyone makes it their own.

T.L.
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  08:29:26 AM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great! I remember the day when I had that AhHa! moment and could actually see what I was doing and understand it and understand why knitting works. That made all the difference! Before I just blindly followed patterns and didn't quite "get it". It's good that you could teach her like that from the beginning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/
Go to Top of Page

jinniver
Chatty Knitter

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  09:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit jinniver's Homepage Send jinniver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's so cool that your daughter is already seeing so many possibilities. I wanted to knit a sweater for my baby girl that didn't require buttons or other fasteners, but I couldn't find a pattern. So I took one of her onsie shirts, figured out how the overlapping flaps at the neckline worked, and then figured out how to knit them. I also did some shaping to make it more of a tunic. Unfortunately, the sleeves weren't wide enough at the shoulders, so they turned out to be too tight when I attached them. I fixed that problem when I made the sweater for my niece, and on hers I designed a button flap in place of the overlapping shoulders. It was so exciting to be able to look at those pieces (even with the flaws) and know that I imagined, designed, and made them entirely myself.

Jen, 33 y/o Navy wife with 3 y/o son and 4 month old daughter

Last project - My 99 cent scarf for me
WIP - Baby quilt and bedding for my daughter's crib
Next project - Knitted shoes for my baby girl from "Baby Knits"

The Sarah Winchester of Fiber Arts
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  10:21:27 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on your daughter learning to knit. It's so much fun to chat, knit,or crochet with all my daughters. I see lots of fun ahead for you two as well. Yay!

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  10:53:29 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woo-hoo! It is so much fun to share knitting with my grown daughters! They learned when they were 24 and 26, and have been knitting for 2 years. The younger of the two is very artistic, and changes patterns to give them a new twist. The older one loves cables and travelling stitches, and has done some amazing things. It is special having them for knitting buddies, even if they do live about 100 miles away. Have fun!

Jan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?