Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 But can I take my needles to JURY DUTY?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1792 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  7:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I emailed our county courthouse and they said no sharp objects. But bamboo needles, esp. the thin ones I use, always get through TSA at the airports without question.

How different is security at a courthouse?

Ceil

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  7:43:20 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it's different - even if you make it through the screening, they will see you knitting and take them away. TSA regs don't apply.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  10:19:31 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took a sock on wooden dpns when I had jury duty and didn't have any problems at all. They didn't get confiscated at the door and I sat in the room where you wait to get called and knitted and no one said anything to me about it. You might want to take something like that along and ask the security guard at the door. You can always put them back in your car if they say no.
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  10:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on where you live. I don't think any of us can definitively say what will happen in YOUR city/county.

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  11:48:00 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to a courtroom hearing as a spectator with a newspaper tucked under my arm to read during the recesses. The judge noticed it and announced from the bench - no reading during the proceedings - so a lot depends on him too.
Go to Top of Page

AthenaToo
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  06:06:55 AM  Show Profile Send AthenaToo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It varies from court to court. A few years ago I got jury summons for both federal and county court within the same week!

I was able to bring knitting to federal court in Philadelphia, but but they were expressly forbidden in a county court. Luckily I was excused from county court.

Athena knitting in PA
Go to Top of Page

Janbie
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  06:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Janbie's Homepage Send Janbie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I agree with everyone else and just think it depends on where you live.

I tried to take some knitting here in Colorado to jury duty last year. Unfortunately, I took these small pointy bamboo ones (probably #5 or #6) and they wouldn't let me take them in. But it was OK to take the plastic #10s. When I went to the waiting room, I realized I only had one of these needles and ended up not being able to do my WIP.

Luckily I was dismissed early!

The KnitWit Copywriter
http://www.knitwitcopywriter.com
http://janbie.blogspot.com
http://knitwitcopywriter.blogspot.com
------------------------
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and take a look around once in a while, you could miss it." Ferris Bueller
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  06:46:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup it is totally county dependant!

IN NYC (5 different state counties!) there are five different sets of rules!

and there are different rules for civil court than criminal, and different rules for regular jury duty and grand jury duty.

there is no telling what will or won't be permitted!

Blog: http://golden-apples.blogspot.com/
Photogallery: http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  06:56:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have Jury Duty in May...I may just avoid the whole issue by bringing a book to read instead, even though I'll probably go into yarn withdrawal by noon <LOL>.

PAM

WIP = Afghan (crochet), Knit Your Bit Scarf for the WWII Museum (knit - charity), Scrap Sweater (knit)

Done this year = Scrap Scarf (knit), Gloves (knit), Mittens (knit), Afghan (crochet)

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

SR5Rfan
Permanent Resident

USA
1232 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  07:03:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit SR5Rfan's Homepage Send SR5Rfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I had Jury Duty in Los Angeles County (CA), knitting needles were the first thing on the list of "don't bring" items. You can call your courthouse and ask.

Beth
http://sr5rfan.blogspot.com/ Not much knitting on it, but it's a start ...
"I was taught to respect my elders, but it is getting harder and harder to find one"
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  07:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had jury duty for San Joaquin County, CA. The main courthouse in Stockton, no needles. The court house that they have in Lodi, could care less.

Wanda
My Blog
Ravelry - gwtreece
Go to Top of Page

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  07:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't be surprised...it can depend on their mood too. I think someone posted that their needles were allowed one day and not the next. Or maybe it was overlooked accidentally the first day.
If I were in the jury I would absolutely need something to keep me awake. I even fall asleep during company meetings where there are only 4 or 5 people right in front of me. Not good.

Chia

http://munkiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jaknit
Seriously Hooked

639 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  11:08:57 AM  Show Profile Send Jaknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No way in San Diego. Everything is x-rayed. We are not allowed to chew gum!

Jan
Go to Top of Page

miele
Chatty Knitter

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  11:12:35 AM  Show Profile Send miele a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not in Stamford CT courthouse! I was sent back to my car with them, which was a drag because to get back in I had to get back in the security (cattle) line.
Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  11:57:21 AM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did call ahead of time and ask the county jury commisioner's office and they had no idea whether or not knitting needles were allowed! So that's why I took them along just in case. If you have an item that is not the prohibited list it probably would be up to the individual screener to decide. The wooden dpns I had were size 6 I think as I was using a worsted weight yarn for the socks.

By the way an important point is that I would not recommend anyone actually try to knit in the courtroom itself. Most judges that I have seen are very determined that everyone including spectators will give their full attention to the proceedings even before the trial during the Voir Dire where they interview the prospective jurors. However, you can spend hours in the jury waiting room waiting to be called for a trial and that is where you would be able to knit assuming knitting needles are allowed.
Go to Top of Page

Diane
Gabber Extraordinaire

366 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  8:25:17 PM  Show Profile Send Diane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently served in the Maryland suburbs of DC, and either something was in the stuff they sent or on the website. I was able to bring wood needles but no metal ones. I agree with Calamintha.....I knitted in the waiting room, but not during the juror interviews.
Go to Top of Page

queenmaxine
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  10:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit queenmaxine's Homepage Send queenmaxine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Houston, the letter that arrives notifying you of your time specifically says (or did last year at least) no knitting needles.

My blog is not strictly knitting, but there are occasional WIP updates and frustration or bragging rants as I am a new knitter.

www.nolanoni.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  7:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also served in Los Angeles County, and I was allowed to take in both my needles (DPN's) AND a drop spindle. I got there early & checked w/the security folk at the door so that I had time to take them back to the car if I was told no. The guard said both the needles and the spindle were OK because they were wood.

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
http://flickr.com/photos/24919841@N02/
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1792 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  11:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last time I had jury duty (in Adams County Colorado, Janbie), I wound up sitting in a "holding tank" room for a few hours. Oh no, I would never knit in a courtroom. I just want something to do while I'm waiting to be called, using size 1 or 2 bamboo dpns.

It sounds like "reactions" run the gamut! Thanks for the advice/warnings.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

TracyKnits
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  10:34:10 AM  Show Profile Send TracyKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also was called for jury duty in LA county. Knitting needles were on the list of things you could not bring. I brought a hat on small wooden circulars and no one said a word. I spent 7 hours waiting to see if I would be chosen and worked on the hat the whole time. I did get there early enough so that I could take my knitting back to the car if needed, but it wasn't a problem.
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen-NYC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  11:48:25 AM  Show Profile Send Kathleen-NYC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got a summons for US Dist. Court in NYC and "cell phone" is the only thing listed that you can't bring with you.

Knitting needles really aren't any more dangerous than a ball point pen would be!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.97 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?