Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 But can I take my needles to JURY DUTY?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  8:59:32 PM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wendy, you did you get to keep your "weapons claim" ticket? That would make a hilarious stash photo next to the offending project.
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  10:11:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alas, I didn't get to keep the claim ticket for my "weapon". However, when I was leaving the courthouse after the verdict, I walked up to security, whipped out the ticket, and announced, "I'm here to claim my weapon!" The guy looked sheepish (pun intended), but wouldn't smile.

Luann, yes, worse things could happen than "having" to buy yarn. In the anxiety of the situation, though, I felt like the addict who would do anything to get the crack, i.e. it relieved the stress a bit but didn't make me "happy". All's well that ends well, though.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

jackiesue
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  09:03:03 AM  Show Profile Send jackiesue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a notice for jury duty and when I called and asked about bringing knitting with me I was asked my age and when I said 70 yr she said I could me excused and I really wanted to do my civic duty oh well who knew.

JACKIE
Go to Top of Page

esolari
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  07:22:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit esolari's Homepage Send esolari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This fall, I was'nt allowed to bring knitting needles into the Middlesex County Courthouse in Canton. The guards were surprised when I told them that TSA allows them on airplanes. Their reasoning was that someone could grab a needle and use it as a weapon. To me, a ballpoint pen could also be used as a weapon, too.

I have jury duty in December and am daydreaming about creating a non-pointed knitting needle.
Go to Top of Page

agnesgooch
Gabber Extraordinaire

573 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2011 :  5:46:04 PM  Show Profile Send agnesgooch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the past 6 months, my husband and I have been called to jury duty 3 times. My husband was called first for the City of Houston and then for Harris County. Then I got my notice in the mail. It was for Harris County, but it was at some annex that I had never heard of before. I was at first freaked out because I no longer have a car and had no idea how to get there (it turned out to be easily accessible by Metro). Then, there was the matter of what to do with my hands. I decided to practice on a crochet project. I would miss a crochet hook much less if they decided to confiscate. It turns out that worry was unwarranted. This annex didn't even have metal detectors. I probably could have snuck a gun in.

I arrived about an hour earlier than the scheduled time of 10:00 a.m. We were told around that time to go into the courtroom. After a few minutes, the justice-of-the-peace spoke to us and told us that the case we were supposed to hear had been settled. We were released at 10:30 a.m. That had to have been the easiest jury duty I have ever had. I hope I get called there the next time. At the main courthouse downtown you have to pay for parking. Last time I drove there it was $5.50 to park and jurors get paid $6.00 for the first day. This annex even had free parking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24181181@N07/
Go to Top of Page

Lillymo
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  10:54:00 PM  Show Profile Send Lillymo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
June 2011: : Jury Duty in Los Angeles - yes you CAN knit (with some restrictions)

The website for the Los Angeles Superior Court says that scissors, nail clippers and metal knitting needles are not permitted in any courthouse. No mention of wood or plastic, so I brought my wooden interchangeable circulars with tips in a couple different sizes. My bag went through the x-ray many times over 4 days without any problems. I also had a wooden crochet hook, plastic cable needle and a yarn cutter pendant.

I'd brought an envelope and stamps with me in case I had to mail my needles back to myself, but didn't need them.

So, if you leave your metal needles at home, you can knit in the Jury Assembly Room but not in a court room. The lunch breaks in California courts are an hour and a half long, so you might want to bring your knitting on days you serve on a jury, even though you can't knit during a trial.
Go to Top of Page

agnesgooch
Gabber Extraordinaire

573 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  4:08:12 PM  Show Profile Send agnesgooch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lucky me. I've been called to jury duty yet again, less than 5 months from the last time. This time I'm going to the main courthouse where they have the metal detectors and the higher security. I'm so looking forward to this. At least they have wireless internet available in the jury assembly room. I can use my iPod Touch. I'm going to take a crochet project or take a knit project with cheap non-metallic needle just in case. I don't mind doing jury duty per se, it's just the waiting, waiting, waiting I can't stand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24181181@N07/
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1788 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  7:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess where I have to be on Oct. 6! I get to test the waters.....

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  11:58:18 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck, Ceil. I had duty in San Francisco in July; took my wooden dpns through security 20 times without a problem. As Lillymo suggested above, I brought a a pre-stamped padded envelope for my dpns (lantern moons!) in case I needed to get rid of them quickly; I didn't have to use it, but I liked the reassurance of having it with me. I brought a drop spindle and fiber for spinning just in case. I was very well occupied!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2011 :  12:56:10 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They let you through with a drop spindle? Do they not know that you can ram the end of one of those things up a particularly obnoxious jury foreman's nose if needs be? They aren't thinking things through here...

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2011 :  1:43:37 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lella, they really aren't. I mean, I could use my newly spun yarn as a garrote, or my spindle hook to gouge out an eye. Same for wooden dpns. I don't know what they were thinking, but I must say I look very innocent and nice. It comes in quite handy sometimes.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2011 :  10:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was called to jury duty in Crawfor County, PA, nothing was said about my knitting needles BUT heaven forbid that I take my bottle of water in! There was no jury waiting room, we went directly to the large court room. I sat right up front and knitted! When the judge was addressing us I quit knitting. When he was confiring with someone or out of the room talking to a questionable juror, I knitted. I didn't get chosen, so I got to go home. Had I been chosen I would then have put my knitting away. I sure would not knit while actually sitting on a jury with the trial in progress.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2011 :  5:30:44 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my, Robinsteph, I hadn't thought of those other uses. hehehe

Shalee, a water bottle? What a mystifying "no no" that is. One wonders....

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  11:40:41 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sherriff told me "No knitting, no reading, you can't do anything fun inside the court-room". In Canada the procedures are a bit different, but in Provincial Criminal Court no one wears a wig and only the Judge and Clerk wear gowns. The building has poles for gates and metal detectors, but I'll bet they're rarely used. Judges in general, I think, are like the one we had, considerate of the jury and everyone to not keep them in court just to wait. Lawyers are not allowed to question jurors, just to pick them out of a line. Interminable waiting for Judges, prosecutors, which courtroom are we REALLY in... I'm glad for knitting!
Go to Top of Page

wondermom127
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  07:50:18 AM  Show Profile Send wondermom127 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was on Grand Jury in White Plains NY two years ago ( 2 days a week for a month) I took my knitting through security for the whole time, but the last day a different guard wouldn't let me. He said if the ADA( Asst District Attorney) OK'd it I could bring them in but it wasn't worth bothering with. He checked it for ma and I picked it up when I was leaving.

CathyG
Go to Top of Page

gerstperson
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  2:08:01 PM  Show Profile Send gerstperson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I worked at the Courthouse in Buffalo for 29 years. You can knit in the "bull pen" (the place where you sit until you are called for a particular jury), and you can knit in the jury room (where you spend your time while you deliberate and while you wait, and wait during recesses or while attorneys are arguing before the judge). Bamboo needles are less likely to raise any eyebrows, but I have brought in metal needles as well.

Sharon

Chinese Proverb: Man who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt woman who is doing it.
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  5:40:18 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only time I've ever been called I was a student and they fell all over themselves saying sorry, sorry, sorry.

Now I'm 66 with hearing loss and, were I called, I'm sure they would not take me. Plus where I go my hearing dog goes. Like a Guide Dog, but for ears.

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.99 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?