Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting through the unbearably boring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dances with Needles
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  8:25:22 PM  Show Profile Send Dances with Needles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't you know that my last semester in school I am faced with a teacher who is impossibly boring. I have four classes with the same one, and the sylabi for the three theoreticly different classes that I have attended are close to identical. I can't avoid or drop the classes they are the ones that are required. the teacher has managed to get two ums into a three sylable word consistently. There is no studen't participation, he just lectures for five hours straight.
So far, I have compleated a sweater, half a vest and a pair of socks, plus a baby blanket. I have the heels done on a second pair of socks. I graduate in a month. I have two more of one class and five of another. I expect to finish the vest and the socks and get at least another pair of socks done. If I wasn't knitting I couldn't stand to be in class. It helps me to smile and concentrate and not throw something up in the air and scream.

DWN

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  8:48:36 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! That really sucks, but guarantees you get some knitting time in!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/
Go to Top of Page

yarnjunkie
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  9:08:15 PM  Show Profile Send yarnjunkie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just makes us ever more appreciative to have a constructive AND transportable hobby!!

Beth :)
Wool is not just a toy for cats.
Go to Top of Page

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  10:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great that you are allowed to knit. 5 hours!! I feel sorry for him too.

Chia

http://munkiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  07:55:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoohoo, look how productive he's making you.....! That time is golden....just like my commute....I get so much knitting done on it.

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  08:19:04 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How on earth to the others in the class survive??

Jan
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  09:53:34 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow.

Wanda
My Blog
Ravelry - gwtreece
Go to Top of Page

GGKnits
Chatty Knitter

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  1:57:55 PM  Show Profile Send GGKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a clever idea and productive way to spend the time! Makes me want to sign up for a class.
Go to Top of Page

jwaid97
Chatty Knitter

135 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  4:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit jwaid97's Homepage Send jwaid97 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! I didn't start knitting until after college but that would have saved me in several classes. They would dim the lights just enough for the projector to work and then talk (in monotone) for hours. Perfect nap time but I never slept because I might miss the one important thing they said all semester. Knitting would have been wonderful

Joanna

Check out my website www.rxknitter.com or blog www.rxknitter.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

Dances with Needles
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  7:10:22 PM  Show Profile Send Dances with Needles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure how everyone else survives. I am armed with a letter from special services explaining that I need to knit for memory retention and so I don't become a pain in class. In three years I have handed it to one teacher. No one else has had a problem.

DWN
Go to Top of Page

Janbie
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  8:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Janbie's Homepage Send Janbie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love it! A letter giving you permission to knit in class!

Sorry to hear that you have this awful professor for all of your required classes. But your misery will soon end...hang in there. And congratulations on your impending graduation!

The KnitWit Copywriter
http://www.knitwitcopywriter.com
http://janbie.blogspot.com
http://knitwitcopywriter.blogspot.com
------------------------
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and take a look around once in a while, you could miss it." Ferris Bueller
Go to Top of Page

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  8:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Special services? How do you get that letter? I have horrible problems staying awake in class and when driving, even during tests (including finals and midterms), even when someone is talking to me while driving!!

Chia

http://munkiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  11:53:46 AM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chia, I sleep apenia and have the same problem when driving. The only thing i've found that helps is chewing bubble gum. It seems that it is impossible to fall asleep while blowing great big bubbles ;-) I don't normally chew gum, but i buy a pack if i'm planning a long trip.
claire
Go to Top of Page

Dances with Needles
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  3:58:50 PM  Show Profile Send Dances with Needles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a diagnosis of ADD, that I got at the young and tender age of 48. I won't go into all the woes of thinking that normal was supposed to be an admirable goal, lets just say that without knitting in my hands I tend to influence people without making friends. I have taken supliments that help, and explained to everyone who wanted to know or questioned the yarn that it was academicly needed. I would never have made it this far without knitting, the computer, word processing and spell check. I don't know what to do with narcolepsy or sleep apnea but you might see if you can get help armed with a doctors diagnosis. Ask about student services and they will tell you what they need.

DWN
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  02:37:34 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations. I take my hat off you. Knitting wont't save me from screaming at the lecturer. And yes, another congratulations on graduating soon.
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  05:25:31 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a reminder to other teachers -- if the students take out their knitting, don't take it personally! As others have pointed out, KIC (knitting in class) isn't always because the teacher is boring (I remind myself)but can be because the students learn better that way. I'm still trying to figure out how I can knit while I'm teaching.

New blog, not about knitting, but I bet it keeps sneaking in: http://greenbananascancerblog.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dances with Needles
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  7:48:59 PM  Show Profile Send Dances with Needles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to let you know, Thanks to the knitting I graduated. I passed the incredible classes with A's and even passed the one I was sure that I might fail with an acceptible C. Here's to needles and Yarn.

DWN
Go to Top of Page

knittymommy
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  04:19:07 AM  Show Profile Send knittymommy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't it funny how non knitters claim they don't have the patience to knit, and yet we knit so we don't lose our patience?

T.L.
Go to Top of Page

Puddytat purr
New Pal

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  02:44:26 AM  Show Profile Send Puddytat purr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suffer from insomnia and I get an awful lot done at 3am!

The circumstances surrounding your birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that matters!
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  06:32:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never DID understand how some professors managed to stay employed, seeing as how so many of them tend to drone on endlessly...Until a good friend of mine who is a college professor explained one day that the professors are often hired, not so much for their teaching ability, but for their academic/publishing work. He said, if anything, he had to DOWNPLAY any mention of how he was as an actual instructor.

Explains an awful lot <LOL>...

PAM

WIP = Aran Stitch Afghan (crochet), Easy Playtime Set (knit), Patons Cabled Yoke Pullover (knit), House Socks (knit)

Done this year = Scrap Scarf (knit), Gloves (knit), Mittens (knit), Afghan (crochet), Pinwheel Afghan (crochet), Knit Your Bit Scarf for the WWII Museum (knit - charity), Scrap Sweater (knit)

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  11:17:48 AM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, at some schools a teaching award was considered the kiss of death for tenure, at least back in the day.

Dances with Needeles: Congratulations!

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth