Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 Do YOU do it in Public?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nubiwan
Warming Up

80 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  3:24:20 PM  Show Profile Send Nubiwan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to - I really do. Somehow though, my midwestern upbringing has resurged as a hesitancy to be SEEN knitting.
There is a once-a-week lunchtime knitting group at work (IT Group), I have sat in with them but always keep my back to the door[:00] As a newbie, this is a good thing for me 'cause I see that even experienced knitters don't always produce the best looking stitches.
Anyway, I have a lot of travel coming up over the next half-year or so - it would be nice to take a project along. I could have done it last week but I wussed-out.

Is it just me?

"I am just going outside and may be some time."

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  7:21:05 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still feel really weird knitting in non related situations, like at work, family gatherings. There have been tons of public knitting posts here if you have the time to search for them. Even though pretty much everyone I know (work related) knows I knit, but I still feel weird breaking it out at my desk during breaks. I'm sure the "WTF?" looks are just trying to figure out what I'm doing, but it still makes me feel self concious.

I have this thing with being stared at, and people, and public, and fear of attention, but at the same time I like the attention that knitting sometimes gets. Weird huh? But, I do it anyway, I have two small projects in my bag right now!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/
Go to Top of Page

GGKnits
Chatty Knitter

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  9:03:22 PM  Show Profile Send GGKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been knitting for just over a year now and since there just aren't enough hours in the day, my knitting has been coming to more places with me --- DARE graduation at my daughters school last year, had to get to the band concert a half hour early to get a good seat, last year Mother's Day at my parents; the "mom's" sat outside in the warm weather and solved world problems. All of these were knitting in public times. I've heard of others taking their knitting to the movies but that's my favorite time for buttered popcorn :)
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  06:38:27 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since you posted this in the Boys Who Knit section, can we assume you are a "Boy Who Knits?"

I have a male friend who I met when he joined the knitting group I started at the local library. He really wanted to learn how to knit socks, so we would meet at the coffee shop in the local Barnes & Noble, and have our lessons. He'd pull out his knitting, we'd get coffee, and start to work on the socks. It took about 4 such meetings to go through the entire pair of socks, and he had absolutely no inhibitions about pulling out the knitting and working on it in the coffee shop.

I never noticed anyone staring at either of us, and he was approached only once. I'd gone to the ladies room, and came back and found him in conversation with another man. Turns out this man and his wife owned a yarn shop elsewhere in the state, and they were talking yarn.

Go to Top of Page

SFMichael
Gabber Extraordinaire

437 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  10:23:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit SFMichael's Homepage Send SFMichael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always knit in public, from class when I first learned in college (in the later 80's) to my brief stint in Lubbock, TX to my current life here in the City. I have never had problems other than two untoward comments. One elderly man once told me that he thought knitting was a woman's activity -- I just put it down to a generational difference, smiled and nodded and ignored him.

Another time an a** on the bus glared at me a called me a f-ggot. I smiled, said, "of course I am" (which angered him even more) and went on knitting. He was a regular on my bus and I was not the first person he'd picked out to give a hard time so I doubt that the fact I was knitting was really what he was attacking. He was just a bitter lonely worthless piece of wasted genetic material and the only way he could find any self worth was to paint everyone around him as worse than he felt himself to be.

99.9% of the attention that I have ever received has been positive if not downright supportive and encouraging.

Don't worry about what other people think. The fact is that very few people in public are going to be thinking about you at all.

Michael
http://pages.prodigy.net/maecooper/
Go to Top of Page

Nubiwan
Warming Up

80 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  12:17:56 PM  Show Profile Send Nubiwan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Asking dumb questions is a good thing. Seeing the responses, I re-read my post and my own feelings are now clearer.

Yes, I am a guy. (BTW, I am a black man of boomer-age who is offended by the name of this sub-forum)

I generally go my own way though I apparently wish I were the Invisible Man. I have this idea that people will pay more attention to my knitting because I'm a man and believe me, my technique is not a thing of beauty.

I do have this feeling that a guy will have more difficulty getting his set of interchangeable circular needles through an airport security check. I've tried bamboo - didn't like 'em.

And - yeah, undoubtedly I worry about strangers assuming that I'm not straight. I thought doing the AIDs and Breast Cancer walks last year would have cured me of that - but, I guess not. If I saw a lot of people knitting everywhere I probably wouldn't feel I need ... permission(?).

Here's the deal I have made with myself - NEXT trip as long as I am traveling alone, I will bring a little project with me. Right now, I really cannot see myself in a business situation and breaking out the yarn and needles. Funny thing, I know at least one woman who feels the same way.

Thanks folks.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  11:33:11 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In business, there is often the question of looking unprofessional, whether you are a man or a woman. Other than that, I say go for it. Who cares what others think?

And I agree, that "Guys Who Knit" would be a better forum title to avoid offense.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

OB1Gnomie
Chatty Knitter

148 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  12:00:27 PM  Show Profile Send OB1Gnomie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have knit or crocheted in public since my teen years, and I find the older I get the fewer unpleasant looks I get, still mostly from guys. I also have fewer pretty young women strike up conversations with me. Sigh.

...there was nothing wrong with her a good dose of distance wouldn't cure. - A. Christie
Go to Top of Page

Janbie
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  5:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Janbie's Homepage Send Janbie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pretty much "do it" anywhere I can. Two exceptions are church and in restaurants. Although the latter I sometimes want to try, especially when I heard about Knitpick's Kelley Petkun talking about going out to dinner and knitting. My own husband thinks a bit rude, but he's probably surprised that I haven't done it by now.

The KnitWit Copywriter
http://www.knitwitcopywriter.com
http://janbie.blogspot.com
http://knitwitcopywriter.blogspot.com
------------------------
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and take a look around once in a while, you could miss it." Ferris Bueller
Go to Top of Page

SR5Rfan
Permanent Resident

USA
1232 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  8:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit SR5Rfan's Homepage Send SR5Rfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My sister told me about a male knitter on this forum who will KIP. When questioned, he just tells people that it is a "condition of his parole" and they don't give him a hard time. [:00] On the serious side, I can understand you being nervous about knitting in public, but I think that after you've tried it a couple times you'll get comfortable with it. Maybe sit in with a group at your LYS? Or on a business trip where you don't know anyone ... that way, you may not be as self-conscious. Of course, this is coming from a woman who feels weird knitting in public at times. Didn't mean to gab on so long. I'd say "go for it!"

Beth
http://sr5rfan.blogspot.com/ Not much knitting on it, but it's a start ...
"I was taught to respect my elders, but it is getting harder and harder to find one"
Go to Top of Page

Nubiwan
Warming Up

80 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  10:46:20 AM  Show Profile Send Nubiwan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update: One trip so far - almost no issues. Ran into a TSA guy who apparently hadn't seen circular needles before but, he did quickly figure what it was when they opened my bag. Knitting is cool while you're in the terminal - on a full plane it gets kinda tricky. A couple folks asked - "Oh you are a knitter?" - I replied "Yeah, I am pretty new at it" - while thinking "Here's your Sign!".
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  2:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on KIP. For me, it got easier to KIP the more I KIP. Airports are a great place to get some knitting done, what else is there to do.

Wanda
My Blog
Ravelry - gwtreece
Go to Top of Page

Queen Knitsalot
Permanent Resident

USA
1331 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  05:04:42 AM  Show Profile Send Queen Knitsalot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have gotten to that point in life's journey when a lot of my thinking runs along the lives of this. One only goes around once in life. Why waste time letting others have power over you? Don't give it to them. As long as what you do is not causing any one or anything harm, be it mental, physical, environmental, whatever; then do what you wish to.
Perhaps this is an oversimplification of life, but since I took this stance I have become much happier.

Suzanne

I'm not crazy.....I'm colourful. Sounds better on a resume.
Go to Top of Page

gryffin2007
Warming Up

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  10:57:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit gryffin2007's Homepage Send gryffin2007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will occasionally KIP, but I am mindful where I am at the time. For example, I don't think twice about knitting in the park, or at festivals, etc. But I certainly think twice (and don't KIP) when I'm at a hockey game or Nascar race.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  11:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NubiwanYes, I am a guy. (BTW, I am a black man of boomer-age who is offended by the name of this sub-forum)

Hi there! I just wanted to jump in here and thank you for expressing your honest thoughts about the name for this section. I meant absolutely no offense or denigration when I chose that title - quite honestly it was solely an attempt to bring a little lighthearted levity to the section name.

Because of database issues I cannot rename the section now (until I find a SQL DBA who has sympathy for knitters - know any?) but please know I heard what you said and I apologize for any offense that name may have caused.

And finally, welcome to the forums! I am glad you found us.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Nubiwan
Warming Up

80 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  11:25:57 AM  Show Profile Send Nubiwan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One more update - went on a short cruise (my first!) to the Caribbean last week which meant LOTS of time in airports for a guy from Seattle. Knitting was one of the sanity savers on the way back - but, I really missed my Addi turbos. Wooden needles, especially the ones from Knitpicks are nice but they just aren't as slick as good metal needles. However, I carried my knitting through 4 security checkpoints last week - no problems at all.
Plus - I am getting better. I can almost watch a movie and knit stockinette at the same time.
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5192 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  12:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on your fun vacation and knitting by feel--I felt so great when I mastered that.

See proof of insanity: http://www.crazylanea.com/
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  2:36:32 PM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anytime I leave my house I have my knitting needles. I was at church waiting on my daughter when I notice a man watching me. It took about a half a hour when he can over and ask me if I knew how to do cables, He wanted to make his Mom a scarf. I showed how how and we have been knitting every Saturday at church. I don't thinks he cares who see him knit. Donna
Go to Top of Page

creeko
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  12:29:04 PM  Show Profile Send creeko a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nubiwan

A couple folks asked - "Oh you are a knitter?" - I replied "Yeah, I am pretty new at it" - while thinking "Here's your Sign!".

I had to reply to this because I get this question all the time! I think we should come up with some clever answers when people ask if we knit WHILE we are obviously knitting!
I often do have problems knitting in public. I am self taught and have a tendency to stick my tongue out while I concentrate so that itself was a bit embarassing but I still did it. Now I am more hooked on knitting than ever but somehow less courageous. I have been knitting for about two years and am now 24 years old and get some interesting looks. "How old are you?...and you knit?" "My great aunt used to do that" etc etc. I'm trying to get over it and knit with pride because I really do just love it so much!
Go to Top of Page

jeanhal
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  06:38:39 AM  Show Profile Send jeanhal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always talk about how men in my humble opinion are better knitters-knitting is a numbers game after all, and so many of us non-men are intimidated by math. After that I talk about how in WW1 and 2 (maybe before & after, but I KNOW those wars) knitting was used as a therapy-there are many articles about this, for the wounded men. And last I mention the taxi driver who took my aunt to work each evening and knit - he made beautiful, complicated sweaters one years for each of her b-i-l's- one being my father. Knit in Public- why not? Beats the cell phone yakkers.
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  01:36:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I fully agree with Suzanne...you only go around once in life, so most definitely, go for it.

I knit a lot in doctor's and hospital waiting rooms, but also when I'm having to wait on someone elsewhere. I do a lot of charity knitting and quite often someone inquires as to what I'm doing...the conversation quickly goes to the charity info.

I appreciate that one should be conscious of where to knit (and where not to knit). You don't want to be perceived as being rude. If I am in a situation where I should be giving someone my undivided attention, then I leave the knitting at home or set it aside for that portion of time. I'm retired now, but definitely you should use careful judgment in work-related situations.

Enjoy the knitting.

Barbara

Ravelry Name: KnitsForPreemies

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000