Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 Do YOU do it in Public?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

britisher
New Pal

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  4:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit britisher's Homepage Send britisher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeanhal

I always talk about how men in my humble opinion are better knitters-knitting is a numbers game after all, and so many of us non-men are intimidated by math. After that I talk about how in WW1 and 2 (maybe before & after, but I KNOW those wars) knitting was used as a therapy-there are many articles about this, for the wounded men. And last I mention the taxi driver who took my aunt to work each evening and knit - he made beautiful, complicated sweaters one years for each of her b-i-l's- one being my father. Knit in Public- why not? Beats the cell phone yakkers.

Go to Top of Page

britisher
New Pal

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  4:04:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit britisher's Homepage Send britisher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D'oh! Here's what I actually meant to write first time round...

quote:
Originally posted by jeanhal

I talk about how in WW1 and 2 ... knitting was used as a therapy-there are many articles about this, for the wounded men.

Yeah, I took up knitting to help take my mind off the chronic pain after getting injured during a mugging. It doesn't take the pain away, but it does get me so involved that I am less aware of it. Plus, I get something to wear at the end of it.

However, that doesn't make me feel comfortable about being a boy-who-knits-in-public. Maybe in about 1000 years, but not just yet.
Go to Top of Page

Passapman
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  4:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Passapman a Yahoo! Message Send Passapman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a man who knits and I knit in public. Once in a medical office lobby I was happily knitting away. A woman was so astonished she kept turning her head to keep watching me as she walked. She plowed straight into a column, twisted her neck, broke her glasses, and gave herself a shiner! I have often wondered what she told people about her injuries.

If I had not had my knitting during all those hours in critical care waiting rooms I would have gone barking mad. I also use that time to assemble machine knitted garments.
Go to Top of Page

mrmusic
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  7:47:54 PM  Show Profile Send mrmusic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have not always done it in public, but now I have graduated to doing it in knitter friendly groups in Knit Shops and at friends houses who don't mind at all since it may turn out to be a gift for them. One of these days I would like to just pull out the old needles and yarn as I have a Starbucks at the Mall or even in the Apple Store while I am waiting for a Genius Bar appointment. Now that is going to take some real nerves (B....) if you get my drift.
Go to Top of Page

Portia1010
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  6:40:47 PM  Show Profile Send Portia1010 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a senior in high school and I KIP in my classes when I am done with my work. One day a really tough guy who I don't really talk to swaggered up to my desk and just stared at my stitching for a while, until he said "That stuff's hard. My mom spent a month trying to knit me socks. It's cool that you can do it." And then he walked away.
Go to Top of Page

chiral
Warming Up

Australia
68 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  04:35:59 AM  Show Profile Send chiral a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here in Australia guys knitting in public is a good way to be bashed.

I have been threatened several times when people found out I knit (at home) so it's not something I want to do in public.

Steve
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiral1/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by