Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How Did You Find KR?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  4:07:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did you originally come across KR?

I'll go first.......

Almost 5 years ago I was away for Memorial Day Weekend and I wanted to find out if there were any LYS near where I was. Since high school, whenever I traveled anywhere the first thing I did was look in the Yellow Pages for LYS. For a long time the category was called "Art Needlework" but eventually became "Yarn, retail". Anyway, now in the 21st Century who needs Yellow Pages and I Googled and somehow got led to KR. I've been here ever since. Ah yes, I remember getting my first star, sigh.

It was very exciting to me to find KR because all the real life knitters I knew either knit sporadically, gave it up altogether, or we had lost touch and here I found a community of knitters who spoke the language of gauge, intarsia, cables, yarnovers and who also looked for LYS wherever they went!

GFTC of NYC

www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
click here for free sock pattern

knittingbuzz
Permanent Resident

USA
1122 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  4:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittingbuzz's Homepage Send knittingbuzz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My story is similar, unfortunately my memory is nt as good as GFTC's on what my search was in reference, but the results the same.....and I've been here ever since. A day without Knitters Review is like a day without sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

SkeinHerder
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  4:23:22 PM  Show Profile Send SkeinHerder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found KR through a knitting day calender. It was the entry and I immediately checked it out. Now I can't imagine life without it!

S:)

Happiness is an inside job.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  4:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost seven years ago I was teaching myself to knit. I fortunately found a book that had both English and Continental knitting in it, and after nearly impaling myself trying to knit English Standard, took to Continental very quickly.

That is, I took to Continental Knitting very quickly, but the diagrams the book had for purling weren't cutting it for me, and I went on an internet search for how to purl. I tripped over KR very shortly after the forums began, and BessH was the one who was first able to talk me through purling.

"The web of our life is a Mingled Yarn, good and ill together."
All's Well That Ends Well, IV, iii
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3460 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  4:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3 years ago I was looking for a yarn substitute for the poncho in "Weekend Knitting" and googled my way here!
I can't imagine my knitting life without KR...

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  4:46:31 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking for something else about knitting thru Google and stumbled across KR. Best mis-step I've made in a long time.
Go to Top of Page

nlnitter
Chatty Knitter

166 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  5:05:57 PM  Show Profile Send nlnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is such a good question!

I found KR while recovering from hysterectomy surgery about a year ago. I didn't have the strength to do much more than watch television and surf the Internet. Couldn't even knit...couldn't even hold a knitting magazine or book...but I could type...

For the heck of it, I did a search on "knitting groups" and KR popped up. A lovely email conversation with Clara ensued, and I felt like I belonged right away.

My corner of the bloggernet http://makingit-sj.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  5:36:38 PM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was on a soaping forum and a couple of soapers and I were
talking about knitting.

The forum went bye bye and another member (I won't tell who) and I started searching for a knitting forum and we both ended up here

I believe it was 4 years ago

shhhhhhhh she has chickens, ducks and moron neighbors

but I didn't tell you [:00]

shaggy

Go to Top of Page

diantha
Chatty Knitter

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  5:44:53 PM  Show Profile Send diantha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also stumbled onto KR, last year. I had just got my first spinning wheel, and I was googling anything related to spinning. I found the spinning forum here, and jimbobspins was the first poster I read.
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2599 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  5:52:34 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My brain is mush and I have no idea how long I've been around - all I know is that it was over 5700 posts ago!! How could I possibly have that much to say? In any case, I know I found KR through a google search, probably looking for an old Pingouin yarn. When I really think about it, I guess it might have been back in 2002 when I hated my job and restarted knitting. Could it have been that long ago? Wow, now that I think back, I remember some firey off-topic threads, some quite outspoken posters.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  5:53:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had broken my elbow and wrist and quite frankly, our bank account in paying for the surgeries. I was googling for free patterns about two years ago. Lo and behold, there was the link to KR in all its glory.

I do remember I had trouble registering and had eventually email the Queen Bee. She graciously and very quickly registered me.

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."

http://hissyknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  5:58:38 PM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I decided to take up knitting again after many years of other needlework I googled and there was KR! That was a year ago in January and I've been learning,sharing and happy as I can be with my sisterhood of knitters. I found a home! Thanks to this wonderful forum for a great return to knitting.

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheerleader9/]
[http://www.ravelry.com/people/Cheerleader9]
Barb in AZ

Nothing ventured, Nothing gained.
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  6:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jane - It is all Jane's fault

rho

If at first you DO succeed -- try something harder

http://thisandthat-rho.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fraggle
Seriously Hooked

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  6:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fraggle's Homepage Send Fraggle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read about it in a magazine I picked up when first learning to knit and decided to check it out.

~ Fraggle

". . . Or if you send me your size I'll knit you a new one" -Hawkeye on M*A*S*H

My websites:
Fraggle's World and For Me?! Knit-a-long
Go to Top of Page

amazing grace
Chatty Knitter

107 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  6:14:37 PM  Show Profile Send amazing grace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was about a year ago I returned to knitting after years of quilting. I think I was doing a google search for pictures of a pattern I was considering and a link to a discussion on KR regarding the pattern popped up.

I don't post much, but I read a lot and have learned great things thanks to all of you!

Grace
Go to Top of Page

Sharyn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  6:18:54 PM  Show Profile Send Sharyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was searching for anything felting related, in the midst of my felting frenzy about two years ago. Stumbled onto the felting threads, and was hooked.
Sharyn
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1752 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  6:33:34 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't exactly remember when or how, but once upon a time, I signed up for Clara's knitting newsletter. I believe this was before the forum, or at least before I knew about it. I remember looking forward to those newsletters because so few people I knew were knitters. I geuss I just clicked through from a newsletter to the forum, but now my curiousity is piqued. Was there a period of time when Clara was only sending out newsletters before KR?? I must start paying more attention to the important details of my life

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  6:36:56 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 2004 I had just started knitting and was searching for different ways to cast on and bind off. Then I wanted to find out something else. Practically every time I tried to find an answer to a knitting question, I ended up getting the answer from a KR poster, so I signed up.
Go to Top of Page

SR5Rfan
Permanent Resident

USA
1232 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  6:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit SR5Rfan's Homepage Send SR5Rfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My sister introduced me to KR. And then got jealous because I came up with a user name and she just uses her first name and initials. [:00]

Beth
http://sr5rfan.blogspot.com/ Not much knitting on it, but it's a start ...
"I was taught to respect my elders, but it is getting harder and harder to find one"
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  7:07:26 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I first found KR over a year ago, I was searching product reviews for some type of yarn related purchase. I read every single tool review and some of the yarn reviews. I was here for HOURS! I didn't actually start reading and creating posts for quite some time later. I did sign up for the newsletter almost immediately! That led me to take part in polls and stuff.

I love it here... *sigh*

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/

I just looked it up, I introduced myself September 20, 2007. I had posted a few times before that though, just thought that was interesting...
Go to Top of Page

Janbie
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  7:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Janbie's Homepage Send Janbie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I read Clara's review of one of the KnitPicks yarns when I Googled them. I then began subscribing to the weekly newsletters. It was that simple.

The KnitWit Copywriter
http://www.knitwitcopywriter.com
http://janbie.blogspot.com
http://knitwitcopywriter.blogspot.com
------------------------
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and take a look around once in a while, you could miss it." Ferris Bueller
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?