Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 blocking rayon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FiberChef
Chatty Knitter

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  12:36:11 PM  Show Profile Send FiberChef a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit a stole out of Fiesta Boucle Rayon which was my first big venture in this direction. The ball band says to dry clean. And yet, I'd like to block this, so dry cleaning doesn't seem to be the answer. Any suggestions?

fiberlicious
Permanent Resident

1637 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  2:09:02 PM  Show Profile Send fiberlicious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It can be gently hand-washed. Most yarn manufacturers put DCO on their stuff to keep from getting yelled at by idiots who throw stuff in the washing machine and let it rip, then complain about the result.

To block, get it wet, roll it in a towel, and pin it out. Let dry. Result: gorgeous!
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  2:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me, too. I am in the same boat with FiberChef. What do you do?

Barbara

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  4:27:13 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never mucked with this brand of rayon boucle, but I can tell you that the recommendation to dry clean rayon is just plain stoopid. Rayon washes and goes through a dryer like iron. Wonderful stuff. now, that being said, it is often dyed with fragile dyestuffs and doesn't hold color particularly well. Even actate rayon acts more like cotton than anything else and really needs a fiber reactive dye to be colorfast.

On the other hand, it takes a lot of wear to bleach out a good dye job, and a lot of bleach in the laundry. You're kind of on your own. But if the dye doesn't bleed, the rayon will be just fine. I routinely blend rayon boucles and flakes with Red Heart and run the whole thing through the washing machine and a HOT dryer.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  6:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess the safest thing would be to make a little swatch and maybe spray it lightly with water, and try blocking the swatch to see what happens.

Would that work or does it have to be immersed?

Barbara

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  5:34:01 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Barbara,
When/if you wet the rayon boucle, it may also pull up and look like a dog's dinner----DO NOT PANIC!!! The yarn is somewhat "creped", i.e. twisted a bit tighter than usual so that it crimps, and rayon is also notorious for crimping anyway. It will block out just fine, and you can steam it with a steam iron held above it, if you need to. I would go easy with the dryer on HOT (all due respect to Llinn) at first, and maybe not dry until really dry==partially dry, and then pin it out to block it. go a little easy, just like you said your last post, with spraying first, see what it does and how it dries, but pin it out to shape, if it needs it.
Best wishes, Anna
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  5:36:25 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OOps, I should have posted more directly to Fiber Chef, who asked the first question about Fiesta's Rayon Boucle----I have some, too, and have dithered about blocking it.....but in my past life I was a custom dressmaker, and had to learn about fibers and how they behaved!
Anna
Go to Top of Page

FiberChef
Chatty Knitter

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  8:10:06 PM  Show Profile Send FiberChef a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great info everyone. I shall go forth and block judiciously. I loved the colors of the yarn, but unless this blocks well, I suspect I wouldn't knit with the stuff again. I've just learned a great deal since this project, and am more of a natural fiber snob, now. [:00]
Go to Top of Page

FiberChef
Chatty Knitter

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  05:57:48 AM  Show Profile Send FiberChef a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reporting back here. Excellent advice, the end result was great and stopped looking like a wadded mess (as much as boucle can). I stretched it out as desired (I ran kitchen cotton yarn through the edges since I hadn't procured blocking wire yet, an idea from Shelley Kang, which gave nice straight edges). Anyway, after pinning, I misted it like crazy and then let it dry until absolutely certain it was dry. Removed the pins and she just lay there nice and flat. Mum was thrilled with the FO for birthday/Mother's day. Thanks for all the tips and hints!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe