Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Anyone else blow their yarn diet recently?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

2totangle
Permanent Resident

1212 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  08:24:36 AM  Show Profile Send 2totangle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After months of being so good and dutifully knitting out of my stash on items in my Ravelry queue, I've blown my yarn diet in a big way. It finally hit me upside the head that the WEBS Spring Sale is my undoing. Plus, there's something about the arrival of Spring weather (and the departure of Winter germs) that makes me run around like the proverbial headless chicken saying, "I want to knit that! And that! And that!" Never mind that I've already got yarn for projects that will keep me occupied into 2009. And never mind that in August I'll again find myself with a lap full of alpaca in 100+ degree weather. And what is it about $4.89 Cascade 220 that makes me whip out my credit card anyway? I feel like I've personally done my bit to support the Peruvian economy through the knitting of felted bags alone.

Anyone else have this problem? Or have you maintained your composure and your current stash levels?

Suzanne

A few pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  09:04:45 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want to talk about it thank you!

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

kidknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  09:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit kidknits's Homepage Send kidknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I can say is: you're not alone.

http://www.kidknits.biz
http://www.itsabouttheknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  09:23:06 AM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every time I go into my LYS in search of needles or stitch markers, sock yarn follows me home.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

rejoyce
Chatty Knitter

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  09:47:48 AM  Show Profile Send rejoyce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WEBS yarn sale was my undoing also!! Then I topped it off with an Elann order!
Kim
Go to Top of Page

dothead
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
550 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  10:05:13 AM  Show Profile Send dothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course I blew my yarn diet. I mean really...how long was I going to go without.

I'm only human.

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  10:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't on a yarn diet, exactly, but was trying not to buy much because we've just started a remodeling project that will require me to pack up almost every room in the house and unpack it again after a few days. And then I went to visit some friends in Chicago and went to The Fold and on a yarn crawl around the city.

Nuff said.

See proof of insanity: http://www.crazylanea.com/
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Go to Top of Page

pkee
Chatty Knitter

222 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  11:28:37 AM  Show Profile Send pkee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My only comfort is that I spent it at LYS during the 20% off sale. Probably would have helped if it wasn't near one of my favorite bakeries.

Pam
Go to Top of Page

SoxyLady
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  1:36:39 PM  Show Profile Send SoxyLady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's something about the springtime, I think. Some people get Startitis, and some people going into a buying frenzy. I do the buying frenzy. I won't tell you how much unnecessary yarn I've bought over the last six weeks, but it's more than enough to keep me knitting for a loooooooong time.
Go to Top of Page

knittingrunner
Seriously Hooked

USA
820 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  3:00:06 PM  Show Profile Send knittingrunner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still holding out. MD S&W is coming soon though. The garden has been calling me away from the needles lately. Getting dirt under my nails has been very satisfying!
Go to Top of Page

schrafinator
Chatty Knitter

332 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  3:48:41 PM  Show Profile Send schrafinator a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2totangle

After months of being so good and dutifully knitting out of my stash on items in my Ravelry queue, I've blown my yarn diet in a big way. It finally hit me upside the head that the WEBS Spring Sale is my undoing. Plus, there's something about the arrival of Spring weather (and the departure of Winter germs) that makes me run around like the proverbial headless chicken saying, "I want to knit that! And that! And that!" Never mind that I've already got yarn for projects that will keep me occupied into 2009. And never mind that in August I'll again find myself with a lap full of alpaca in 100+ degree weather. And what is it about $4.89 Cascade 220 that makes me whip out my credit card anyway? I feel like I've personally done my bit to support the Peruvian economy through the knitting of felted bags alone.

Anyone else have this problem? Or have you maintained your composure and your current stash levels?

Suzanne

A few pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/

Oh my, that made me laugh out loud!

I am not officially on a yarn diet, but I have really, really cut back on the purchasing since I have plenty of yarn.

Welllllllll, let's see, I didn't buy any yarn for months and months, except for some black Gloss from KP that I ordered in January for a gift that's been knitted and given away already (didn't have any black in the stash and the color was important.

Then, in February I decided to get some Sonata cotton from Elann for a shawl and a summer tank, but that was only a wee bit of yarn, was very inexpensive, and I didn't have any garment-quality cotton in the stash in the quantities needed for these paricular projects (almost no cotton in the stash, in fact).

Then my birthday rolled around in March and since I'm within a reasonable distance from Putney, VT, I decided to drive to the Green Mountain Spinnery as I'd never been there, and brought home two hanks of Maine Organic, 5 hanks of Double Twist (it was on sale!), and a single, gorgeous skein of Spinnery Sock Art Meadow. Ouch.

Then the Webs sale e-mail came to my inbox, and I again was weak. I pounced on 5 hanks of Ultra Alpaca and 4 enormo hanks of Cascade Ecological Wool that is destined for the Knitting Pure and Simple long neck-down cardigan. Come on, a long, handknit, soft, 100% wool cardigan for $40? You couldn't buy it for that. I DID resist the Cascade 220, though, wonder of wonders.

So, I expect to be tempted again in May when WEBS puts other stuff on sale.

Go to Top of Page

pyewackett
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  3:49:40 PM  Show Profile Send pyewackett a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The WEBS sale was also my undoing. So far this year I've been quite good: NO new yarn in Jan. & Feb.; in March I bought less than $20 worth. I've been using a lot from the stash.

Then I got the WEBS circular. I held out as long as I could, but Friday I succumbed. The box came today! I got 25 skeins of Ella Rae bamboo silk (70/30) in a gorgeous plum (descibed online as deep pink and in the flyer as orchid) and 29 skeins of Mirasol Cotanani, mostly in burgundy. The former will be a summer cardi for my mom; the latter will be for ME! for a girly tennis sweater.

I'm waiting to get the May circular before ordering any more. Oh, hie thee quickly, mailman, in winged truck!
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  4:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I plead the fifth...

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  5:01:48 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yarn diet????? LOL
I just received my Patternworks order.
judy
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  5:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my LYS was nice enough to call me today with the news of her newest sock yarn shipment and it was sorta on my way home from work......

GFTC of NYC

www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  6:29:37 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My diet is like this: I knit ONE thing from stash yarn, then the next project I can buy new yarn.

Well, I'm trying, anyway. I'm knitting a baby sweater from 2 skeins that I bought, hmmm, maybe 2 years ago. So I'm feeling really good and thinking about some red yarn at the LYS....

Somehow this diet would be more effective if I planned a project for the 8 skeins of Malabrigo in the closet, or the 6 skeins of Cascade 220 under the bed. I was cleaning a few weeks ago and found an entire bag of some taupe colored yarn. Geez, why did I buy that stuff??

I really hate diets.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  6:38:04 PM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just placed my fourth order with WEBS since the sale began and then there's the Yarnzilla order just before that.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Go to Top of Page

Jaknit
Seriously Hooked

639 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  6:49:39 PM  Show Profile Send Jaknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lizknit, I love your yarn diet!

Jan
Go to Top of Page

pyewackett
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  6:50:43 PM  Show Profile Send pyewackett a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillstreetmama

My diet is like this: I knit ONE thing from stash yarn, then the next project I can buy new yarn.

Jan, I like your thinking. I'm trying the same method, but why is it that stash projects take 3-4 skeins and new projects take at least 12? Hmmmm . . .
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  7:15:44 PM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jaknit

Lizknit, I love your yarn diet!

Jan

Yeah, it's working really well for me.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Go to Top of Page

jinniver
Chatty Knitter

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  9:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jinniver's Homepage Send jinniver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's it--I am never, ever reading another newsletter again. I don't care how much great info is in there. I'd spent all this time on KR without once asking what WEBS was, or searching for it. I could just tell it that the knowledge would do serious damage to my credit rating, so I stayed strong. And the latest newsletter directed me to this post, without any warning about the dangerous content, and all the references to WEBS and great deals wore down the thin wall of resistance I'd built, and now I'm on their mailing list.

Darn you! Darn you all to heck!

(And may heck have a very nice LYS...)

Jen (jinniver on Ravelry)
My blog: The Sarah Winchester of Fiber Arts
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000