Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 WINDING YARN
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pinkmarbles1@aol.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  07:58:50 AM  Show Profile Send pinkmarbles1@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have been knitting off and on for almost 40 years. I have never wound my yarn into balls. I have just used it from the skein. I don't want to sound stupid after all these years of knitting, but what is the purpose of winding the yarn on a yarn winder? Thanks for any answers you may give me. Martha

Martha Ballard

amazingwoman
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  09:10:27 AM  Show Profile Send amazingwoman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't speak to a yarn winder, but I just got my swift on Monday. Much of the yarn that I buy comes in hank, and most of *that* is lace weight and fingering weight. I've tangled on hank too many winding it off of my legs or the back of a chair, so I finally broke down and picked up a swift.
Go to Top of Page

JayhawkKnitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  09:13:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit JayhawkKnitter's Homepage Send JayhawkKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you're knitting from a center pull skein, then the yarn obviously won't tangle.

But if the yarn's original purchased state is in a hank - if you can keep it from tangling you're one up on me. I can't - and I haven't broken down yet and bought either a swift or winder. So it's hand-wound balls from hanks for me.

Check out my blog!

http://www.knittinhoney.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  09:30:36 AM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't buy a lot of hanks, but it sure is useful if I do. Of course it would be more convenient if I had a swift to go with it, much less tangly! I mostly use my ball winder to rewind my half used, floppy skeins into nice little balls for the leftovers drawer. I also use it, along with a digital kitchen scale, to split my sock skeins into two even balls

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  2:17:41 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're question has many answers cause you might be using terms interchangeably. There are ball winders and yarn swifts (I've not seen anything that combines the two into a yarn winder). If you're talking about yarn that comes in a skein that is already to be knitted, then you don't really have to re-wind it. If you're talking about yarn that comes in hanks and not already "wound", I'd imagine it's hard to knit from that.

Either way, I wind every type of yarn I buy, even if it already comes in a skein or a ball. I can find any knots or other "landmines" before I get to them when I'm knitting. Most of the yarn I buy is in hanks and must be wound into a ball before it can be used. I've encountered some very high end yarns that have issues that would have been a mess to deal with in the middle of the row of a lace shawl with 600 stitches! Winding by hand is perfectly fine. I use my swift and ball winder because it's easier.
Go to Top of Page

pinkmarbles1@aol.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  2:40:14 PM  Show Profile Send pinkmarbles1@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all so much for your replies. I feel much more educated on the subject now. I appreciate your answers.

Martha

Martha Ballard
Go to Top of Page

esatch@msn.com
Warming Up

83 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  6:32:57 PM  Show Profile Send esatch@msn.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi!
This is interesting to me because I'm thinking of buying some delicious looking yarn that comes in cones. How do you wind that? Thanks in advance for any help! - Ellen
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  7:09:42 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can knit right off the cone actually! I mean you could certainly wind it into smaller more managable balls for your project, but I just use the cone. I did a few doilies off a cone awhile back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/
Go to Top of Page

Mary B
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  2:26:19 PM  Show Profile Send Mary B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those of you who would rather spend your hard earned money on yarn rather than a winder and a yarn swift, try using a nostepinne. That is, if you can find one. It also takes up much les space. A knitting friend introduced me to the use of one a year or two ago, and I finally found one of my own, but locally. If interested, there are several sources online - normally about $15 -$25. I find mine especially useful when I get to the end of a skein when the yarn starts tangling. I just use my nostepinne to wind the remaining yarn into a smaller ball. Mary B
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  05:45:48 AM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a nostepinne too. My son made it, he was selling them on my site and selling out as many as he could make. They're wonderful tools, and compact! I even wrap up to 400 yards on mine....

Martha.
http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eleanor
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
583 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  06:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Eleanor a Yahoo! Message Send Eleanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where are they on your site Martha?
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  07:20:08 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried doing this using those smooth massage stick for foot reflexology that I bought from Chinatown but the diameter is too small. So I'll be trying uisng small water bottle. They may work till I get my winder.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe