Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 How much yarn for an afghan?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fwshorty
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  3:59:53 PM  Show Profile Send fwshorty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to knit an afghan for my daughter, and I would like to take advantage of the Webs sale on Plymouth Encore. I don't have a specific pattern yet, but I plan to do something rather plain, not lacy or with lots of cables. It will be generously sized.

So, how much yarn should I buy?

Thanks!

Eileen

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  5:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The skeins are 200 yds so I would order 10 - 12 skeins. I used 12 skeins of Encore Chunky @143yds per skein to make a striped garter stitch afghan 45"x58". I had about an inch leftover of one of the colors.

I would get a second opinion, though. I haven't made a full size afghan in worsted weight, only chunky. You definitely need more yarn for worsted than chunky for the same size blanket.

GFTC of NYC

www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

technikat
Gabber Extraordinaire

595 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  5:57:21 PM  Show Profile Send technikat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used 18 balls of Woolease to make a good sized afghan. It was knit with the 2 strands of the yarn to make a thicker fabric.
Woolease is 197 yds/ball.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
Go to Top of Page

GaiaDea
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  8:00:44 PM  Show Profile Send GaiaDea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If *I* were buying yarn for an unspecified afghan, *I* would look at basic afghan patterns of about the same size and "plainness" for the weight and yardage. Then I would order at least three balls more than the one with the largest requirement in case I got creative.

Of course, when I grocery shop, I also round up any part of a dollar to the next whole dollar on the cost of items to budget my money and account for tax.....*giggle*

GaiaDea
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  10:50:47 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Great American Aran Afghan (50" X 68") calls for 20 balls of Plymouth Encore, so you would need less than this for something plainer.
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  05:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GFTC

The skeins are 200 yds so I would order 10 - 12 skeins. I used 12 skeins of Encore Chunky @143yds per skein to make a striped garter stitch afghan 45"x58". I had about an inch leftover of one of the colors.

That is absolutely stunning! Did you do that afghan on the diagonal or just straight stripes?

PAM

WIP = Scrap Sweater (knit)

Done this year = Scrap Scarf (knit), Gloves (knit), Mittens (knit), Afghan (crochet), Pinwheel Afghan (crochet), Knit Your Bit Scarf for the WWII Museum (knit - charity)

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  8:32:03 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rough rule of thumb

afghan in knit 60-65 oz
in crochet 75- 80 oz
double bed in knit 80-85
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  8:37:21 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in crochet 100-110 oz
queen bed in knit 100-110
in crochet 120-130
king bed in knit 120-130
in crochet 140-150

sort of a pattern there. I always allowed for hang over sides and enough length to go over pillows at one end.

For heavy cables add 10 to 20% extra like crochet afghans. For openwork patterns, you'll use as much as 40% less.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  05:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pam, thanks! I knit the blanket straight across but it looks diagonal because of the angle of the picture. It would be easy enough to knit the same thing on the diagonal.

GFTC of NYC

www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

fwshorty
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  05:52:25 AM  Show Profile Send fwshorty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks!
I ordered 16 balls. I did find a generic pattern that recommended approximately 48 oz, so 16 should be enough to make a good sized afghan. If I have any left over, I'm sure it will make a nice scarf or hat.

I don't expect to complete this until fall, and I'll post a followup when its done!

Thanks again.
Eileen
Go to Top of Page

GaiaDea
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  08:28:37 AM  Show Profile Send GaiaDea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bet it will look terrific!

GaiaDea
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.