Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Can knitting cause stress?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

eelrenrut
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  08:28:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit eelrenrut's Homepage Send eelrenrut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OH BOY do I hear you about the "loosing the Mojo" thing. I went through this in a big way after a major home renovation and move. I didn't know when it would come back, but it finally did after a few months of rest.
What worked for me was doing a small crocheted scarf project that I loved. It got me going in the right direction, and now I feel like I am almost back in the swing completely. I still can't seem to finish the sleeves on anything I've created, but I'll get there.
Your idea of doing simple placemats is probably a perfect way of getting back on track.
Best of luck! It will come back to you!
Lee
www.yarnoverlounge.com
Go to Top of Page

njzube@aol.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  08:39:46 AM  Show Profile Send njzube@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only get stressed while I'm knitting if I have volunteered or "told" someone I am making something for them. So I've learned to smile when asked, "Who is that for", and reply, "Whomever it fits", even if I know exactly who it is for! I always have several projects going, everything from simple to complex, and will pick up whichever I'm in the mood to do. I don't lose my joy of knitting, but get out of whack if life gets too busy for me to enjoy the rhythm of knitting. Jeanne
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  08:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can SO relate to this dilemma! I hope we all rediscover our mojo - and soon! I am nervous about being in an artistic slump/rut - whatever you want to call it. I feel stuck. Even a trip to Sedona (gorgeous, BTW) just hasn't spurred my inspiration just yet. I'm hoping I'm just jet-lagged at the moment. So if anyone discovers the secret to getting UNSTUCK, please pass it on!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup

Go to Top of Page

mykidzmom5@yahoo.com
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  08:53:40 AM  Show Profile Send mykidzmom5@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is so funny that this would be the topic!! I am working on a sweater for my DSILs 30th birthday. I am making a sampler sweater and the increase in the sleeves is driving me nuts! The stitch is a diagonal rib stitch. The offset is making increasing a nightmare!! I have put it down but have to pick it up today and figure it out. I have often been "stuck" but when I get together with other knitters I find inspiration and get going again. That's the beauty of a knitting community both online and in your life.
Go to Top of Page

Bobbiesocks
Chatty Knitter

116 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  09:03:46 AM  Show Profile Send Bobbiesocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really hate having UFOs. If I have too many at one time I lose interest or get immobilized by that, so I try not to start too many at once. When I used to sew (other than mending), I found that I got into a state where when I had bought the pattern and fabric, in my mind I already had the garment, so I had a hard time starting the project. I built up quite a stash of unsewn fabric and unused patterns that way. It was very unproductive.

I am afraid that having a sizeable stash of sock and other yarn could cause that same syndrome in me about knitting --- I have the yarn therefore I have the socks. I have resolved to knit through my stash, get rid of yarn that has lost its luster for me (repeat after me; "I will not buy yarn just because it is on sale"), and then only buy yarn for specific projects that I will finish before starting another project --- except for when I need a mindless project for air or road travel. Even then, that project will have to be something that I will finish during the trip.

As a side note, I have tried several knitting techniques lately that drove me nuts and stressed me out. One was two socks at a time on 1 circular needle. Who needs that tangly frustration. Another was intarsia using 4 colors on the front of a sweater ---- turned out good, but never again! I hate having tangles while I am knitting. I lose my place, my rythem, my desire, my peace ---- and as for weaving all of those ends in, well, I hate that almost as much as seaming.

Sherirob, I have also had problems with fit, or a design looking awful on me, and that's a real turnoff. I was so hopeful during the knitting. I have twice now resolved to knit only scarves and shawls to eliminate fit problems, but how many of them can you and your friends use?

In my circle of sewing/crafting friends we used to call the things that we made that didn't fit or didn't work stylewise, "wadders" --- meaning that we "wadded" them up and put them in the Goodwill bag -- LOL. I have made a couple of "wadders" lately.

Bobbiesocks

Go to Top of Page

bearknitter
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  09:26:06 AM  Show Profile Send bearknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the suggestions sound good to me, but so far, my favorite hasn't been mentioned. Never underestimate the magical healing power of really good chocolate. I use it to help me cope with everything life throws at me, and if my knitting mojo needed mending, that's what I'd do. Of course, good chocolate in a field surrounded by spring flowers sounds like a good solution, too.

The other thing I try when I need ooumph to get me going is to go see art--galleries, museums, online, whatever. Seeing beauty others have created gets me in the mood. Fortunately, we have a lot of artists working in crafts media where I live so inspiration surrounds me.
Go to Top of Page

diantha
Chatty Knitter

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  09:41:02 AM  Show Profile Send diantha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't feel like knitting either. It's been a horrible, long, cold winter, and knitting is about the only thing I did. Luckily, I have other things I can be doing - processesing fleeces, carding, dyeing, spinning, etc. Whenever I'm bored of one, I usually feel like doing something else.
Go to Top of Page

JAC
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  09:53:12 AM  Show Profile Send JAC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually have trouble finding time to knit the way I would like to, and every little problem with a project makes me stop for a while - then I pick it back up, work on the problem and keep going until the next problem arises. But I think that spring fever creates a really strong pull in a different direction for a lot of people. I'm always so restless this time of year - I always dislike my job this time of year - I just want to be in the garden - I want to be outside. I could garden all day if my schedule let me. I'm sure this could affect your desire to knit right now.

And aside from spring fever, when a person does anything on a regular basis, it's totally normal to need to take a break - I think it's a very normal creative thing - it lets your mind refresh itself. Some breaks are longer than others. You'll get back to it when you're ready.
Go to Top of Page

FiberFevered
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  11:23:09 AM  Show Profile Send FiberFevered a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's what works for me:

1. Have 3-5 projects on the needles, with at least 2 easy and never more than 1 really complex. If "knitting is the new yoga," simple projects are essential for the peace and "zen" they bring to life. But when I get bored with the simplicity, I like a complex lace project or a new technique to try, for awhile. And socks for ease of transporting, and because socks are in between.
2. Have most (though not necessarily all) projects be not only beautiful (fiber, pattern, etc.) but utilitarian. For instance, one simple life-saver for me is the E.Z. pi shawl because it is soooo simple at its core, yet can have a section of inserted lace if the notion grabs me. The fiber can be glorious yet the pattern can stay simple. Lace-weight wools, alpacas, etc., make into practical items that can be airplane/travel blankets for me or a gift for almost anyone (even wedding, as a furniture throw) but especially for women friends and relatives, and size does not ever matter.
Another example is making a Euroflax linen basket liner. I have decided I want some of the yarns I love to look at and feel and be inspired by to be all around me in my home, so I take old baskets and make a simple liner for them. I knit the linen in a simple garter stitch on larger-than-gauge needles with a simple yarn-over edging (maybe a couple of stitches in) and it goes fast (most are around 3 feet by 18-24 inches) and is beautiful when machine-washed and protects my skeins and balls from the basket's rough surface. I enjoy inventing a simple edge, yet there is no pattern to memorize and I get that peace from knitting mostly garter -- and I am done in no time with no finishing.
I like to marry the aesthetic with the practical; don't all knitters, really?
3. I can never let UFOs all arrive at the finishing stage at once. When one needs finishing, I finish it before going to far forward with other UFOs. I don't mind plodding along with finishing if I can alternate it with other knitting that is not plodding.
4. Sometimes I get down about how long it takes to make most knitted items, even the simplest, and I must do something creative that takes less than an hour. Sometimes I need a gift in a short amount of time. That's when I pull out my natural and semi-precious stones, or my Murano glass beads, and create a necklace. I just did this for my grown daughter's birthday and my step-mom for Mother's Day. In the past I have knitted summer/spring scarves or shawls of bamboo and silks, but stone necklaces are a change of pace for them and for me, and much faster and simpler. And the recipients don't even realize that the necklaces are so much easier.

So that's my list. I love knitting for the peace and beauty it lends to life. If anything gets in the way of that for, it has to be set aside.

FiberFevered
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  5:08:22 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I get stressed with a project or tired of knitting, I put it down for awhile and usually eventually go back to it sometime. Sometimes I just switch to my "instant gratification" projects, things that work up quickly and dont take too much thought, like hats and mittens. I've been in one of those "knitting funks" lately and have been reading more and making mittens. I've got to get it back though, Christmas is coming...........
judy
Go to Top of Page

knittipina
New Pal

Philippines
11 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  02:04:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittipina's Homepage Send knittipina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think my knitting stress is time-related. I still haven't set up a knitting blog because I have a feeling that if I do, it takes time and attention away from knitting. And I am loving reading this forum, and while it fascinates me and teaches me a lot of useful knitting things, I worry about spending more time on the computer than I do knitting!

And then there's that thing about lining up family gift knitting projects from Mother's Day until Valentine's Day next week...

Luxe, calme et volupte
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  09:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, you lack chocolate. Since you are on a healthy living kick, get you some really fine quality dark chocolate (Ghirardelli Dark w/raspberry filling...yum!), leave the knitting in a quiet closet where it can't snicker at you and indulge yourself a little bit. If the Knitting Fairy shows up and finishes your UFOs while you are off indulging so much the better but even if the Fairy doesn't show up, the knitting will learn its lesson and when you are ready for it again it will be suitably respectful and ready to be cooperative and provide you with that stressfree knitting enjoyment you remember.

Well, it won't hurt anyway...

;P

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Fromaggista
Warming Up

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  12:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Fromaggista a Yahoo! Message Send Fromaggista a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sticks and String

...the Knitting Fairy shows up and finishes your UFOs while you are off...

o_O
I know I'm such a noob for asking.... What's a UFO as used in this context?

tina

**Newbie to Knitting**
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  12:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
UFO = Unfinished Object

You don't learn without asking, silly...so you are NOT a "noob" for asking.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Fromaggista
Warming Up

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  1:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Fromaggista a Yahoo! Message Send Fromaggista a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sticks and String

UFO = Unfinished Object

You don't learn without asking, silly...so you are NOT a "noob" for asking.

Jo

Shoulda been able to figure that one out... Thanks Jo!

**Newbie to Knitting**
Go to Top of Page

Larjmarj
Chatty Knitter

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  4:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Larjmarj's Homepage Send Larjmarj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can totally relate to this topic. I have four wips going right now, one is a cardi that I probably shouldn't have started but did. I feel like I "should" make a garment. It'd be nice to actually make one that fits and I'm having my doubts about this one. I have a lace shawl that I'm picking away at, a pair of cable socks that I am picking away at and another pair of cascade socks, or should I say a trio. What happened is that I started and finished one sock, started the other one a few months later without having the first sock with me and then ended up with two totally different socks. Now I am making sock number 3 to match sock number 2 which I liked better.

My knitting mojo waxes and wanes, right now it's on a wane. When I make a little more progress on the cardi....well that might get me revved up again.

http://knizzlefoshizzle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  10:17:09 AM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting mojo? What knitting mojo? Oh, you mean the knitting mojo that led to all the UFOs and increased stash since last fall? I've now totally lost that mojo.

Too many UFOs make me antsy. I feel obligated to finish them, which means that I duck my head under the covers and when I emerge I start a new project. That starts the cycle all over again. It's like being back in school and avoiding assignments.

If I knit too much, I don't read. If I read, I don't knit. I'm currently reading. I knitting mojo'd myself into a flareup of whatever RSI I have. Sigh.

This too will pass. I will finish my UFOs. Eventually.

Good quality ice cream is almost as effective as chocolate.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

Janbie
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  09:05:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Janbie's Homepage Send Janbie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd maybe try crocheting for a while...it may get you away from the repetition of knitting, and it involves (I think) a different mindset. Plus, you don't have to think as much as you would with knitting.

The KnitWit Copywriter
http://www.knitwitcopywriter.com
http://janbie.blogspot.com
http://knitwitcopywriter.blogspot.com
------------------------
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and take a look around once in a while, you could miss it." Ferris Bueller
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  09:45:50 AM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny thing is I wasn't too stressed, or bummed about knitting until after I replied to this post the first time. We went on vacation, I knit on the plane (5" bamboo DPNs) and on the way back, a bit in the room one night, no problems. I come back and I didn't touch a needle last week at all! I did finally force myself to pick up a shawl I've been barely working on for months, but even that wasn't long lived. Just not in a knitting mood now... it MUST be something in the air!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  05:22:55 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I first read this thread I felt sorry for people who lost their mojo.... Where's mine? If you see it, send it to me, please. I have two projects OTN, but one's mindless and the other needs too much thinking about. Don't know what to do. Will try chocolate.

New blog, not about knitting, but I bet it keeps sneaking in: http://greenbananascancerblog.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?