Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 $16 - $20 for a pair of socks?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Hudakore
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  2:55:22 PM  Show Profile Send Hudakore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Golly! I'm looking at sock yarns on the internet and at a yarn store and I can't believe what it costs to knit a pair of socks! 2-50gm balls cost upwards of $16-17. Is there no way around this? Any one know of any reasonable sock yarn prices?

Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight.

yarnspeaktome
Chatty Knitter

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  3:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnspeaktome a Yahoo! Message Send yarnspeaktome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy Feet sock yarn by Plymouth Yarn Company. $5.99 a hank (50 grams/192 yard) x2= $11.98 a pair. My newest addition to my favorite list of sock yarn! 90% Super wash Merino and 10% Nylon.

Elsie W
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  3:18:47 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sue at Little Knits has great prices on sock yarn.

http://www.littleknits.com/

M L
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3958 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  3:19:46 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knit Picks has sock yarn at good prices:
http://knitpicks.com/fingering+weight+knitting+yarn_YL30010103.html

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  4:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It all depends on the sock yarns that you buy and how you knit your socks....but yeah, you are looking at a bit of money to knit your own....

But if you want cheap socks, you know that you can buy socks for like a dollar a pair at the Wal-mart, right?

(sorry, could not resist.)

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  4:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
www.elann.com has sock yarn for under $3 skein in lots of colors. Do a search for Sock It To Me on the elann site. I've used the yarn and it's a good basic sock yarn similar to Regia.

GFTC of NYC

www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

beedee
Seriously Hooked

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  4:41:33 PM  Show Profile Send beedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to not occasionally think of ... "spare yourself the sight...." go with good yarn at a reasonable price (I don't know how to use the quote function). Knit Picks has some very nice fingering weight superwash wool/nylon yarn: "Essential" and "Felici", both of which have saved me much suffering (both in the knitting and pocketbook). Lovely stuff!
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  5:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beedee

(I don't know how to use the quote function)

(Open a topic and read the posts. In the bar above the text where the time stamp is there are also some icons. One of them looks like a piece of paper with an arrow swooping into it. If you click on this from the bar above the message you want to quote, it will allow you to reply with a quote. When the window opens you'll see the entire message you're going to quote from. You can then delete the extraneous parts of the message you are quoting, leave the desired quote and type what you want to say. Click on Post New Reply and you're good to go.)

;)

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  5:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also recommend checking WEBS for sales on sock yarns. There are currently 8 sock weight yarns under $10.00. Shoot, I recommend always checking any site for sales. You never know what deals are out there until you look.

http://yarn.com/

Jo
Go to Top of Page

khoff
Chatty Knitter

177 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  6:32:18 PM  Show Profile Send khoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have local yarn stores, you should also periodically check their clearance sections. One store near me usually has some sock yarn on clearance for $4/skein. Lion Brand is supposed to be coming out with a sock yarn soon -- it will probably be reasonably priced. I've even gotten I've gotten Moda Dea Sassy Stirpes at Michael's for $4/skein. But whatever you spend, don't just think of it as, for instance, $20 for a pair of siocks -- think of it as $20 for a pair of socks and two weeks' worth of entertainment!
Go to Top of Page

arlinem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  7:24:19 PM  Show Profile Send arlinem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you could learn to spin your own sock yarn! i can tell you from personal experience handspun socks is much warmer than commercial yarn. just my opinion though.
Go to Top of Page

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  8:49:25 PM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto on Knitpicks and elann. Just finished 2 pair made with Sock it to me. Nice to work with.

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheerleader9/]
[http://www.ravelry.com/people/Cheerleader9]
Barb in AZ

Nothing ventured, Nothing gained.
Go to Top of Page

beedee
Seriously Hooked

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  10:38:31 PM  Show Profile Send beedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sticks and String

quote:
Originally posted by beedee

(I don't know how to use the quote function)

If you click on this from the bar above the message you want to quote, it will allow you to reply with a quote. When the window opens you'll see the entire message you're going to quote from. You can then delete the extraneous parts of the message you are quoting, leave the desired quote and type what you want to say. Click on Post New Reply and you're good to go.)

Thanks, Jo!

;)

Jo

Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  11:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khoff

But whatever you spend, don't just think of it as, for instance, $20 for a pair of siocks -- think of it as $20 for a pair of socks and two weeks' worth of entertainment!

Humm, I tend to think of it as $20 for a lot of entertainment and I end up with a pair of socks as a bonus! Just think, the $20 lasts a week or two instead of blowing it all on one nice meal at a local restaurant and having it gone in one evening.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  04:34:21 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EBay is a good source for Patons Kroy sock yarn. And, be sure to look at the Stash Reduction section here at KR. Some of my favorite yarns were bought from the lovely ladies right here.

Angie
My pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26414328@N00/
My blog: http://zippyzinnia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Laxmom4x
Gabber Extraordinaire

527 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  05:28:52 AM  Show Profile Send Laxmom4x a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't used it yet, but I felt---okay, fondled!!!-- Happy Feet just last weekend (and why I didn't buy any still remains a mystery. maybe it was the colors were ones I already had too much of) I was impressed, it felt like much pricier yarns. And I made a mental note to see if my LYS has it.

Janet
"Change is inevitable except from a vending machine"
Go to Top of Page

beedee
Seriously Hooked

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  08:16:55 AM  Show Profile Send beedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And, be sure to look at the Stash Reduction section here at KR. Some of my favorite yarns were bought from the lovely ladies right here.
Angie

I just learned to use the quote function (from Jo, in this same forum, yesterday). This morning, I found out from Angie that we can help other forum members reduce their stash! Thank you both for your patience with us "newbies"! Hudakore, you don't mind if I speak for you also?
Beedee
Go to Top of Page

Fivefibers
Permanent Resident

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  08:34:12 AM  Show Profile Send Fivefibers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with arlinem. You canNOT go wrong with doing your own yarn! Superwash, spun fine works for me.

Fivefibers
2sheep; 3goats; 5bunnies
(so far)
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  09:49:03 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy Feet is wonderful sock yarn at under $6 a skein. On Your Toes Bamboo is somewhat splitty, but otherwise is wonderful. Universal Pace sock yarn is ok at the low end of the price scale.........

I figure anything under the cost of buying a pair of Woolrich socks is fine. $15 is buying a lot of entertainment.
Go to Top of Page

beedee
Seriously Hooked

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  1:31:03 PM  Show Profile Send beedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Angie and Jo, thanks again for your patience with me; I WILL remember the quote marks next time I excerpt/quote!
Go to Top of Page

watcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
449 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  7:30:28 PM  Show Profile Send watcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is mention of Cascade Heritage yarn, which is a brand new sock yarn (superwash/nylon blend); looks to retail for $12/skein, enough for pair of socks...I haven't seen it, but that is another that might be worth a try.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 6.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?