Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 seasonal knitting?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

starfire385
Chatty Knitter

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  4:17:32 PM  Show Profile Send starfire385 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. I am planning on knitting sweaters over the summer (I'm on a yarn diet-I have enough stash for at least 7 sweaters), so I will be able to wear them in the fall. Maybe I may throw in one summer garment, but for the most part my knitting will be for the next season.
Do the rest of you usually knit stuff in the season it is to be worn or beforehand? Or a mix?

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  4:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have knit or crocheted blankets for the past I don't know how many summers. I spent today blocking squares crocheted last summer so I can finally finish the blanket.

I have been on Ravelry looking at all sorts of FOs in various blanket patterns both known and unknown to me.

Yesterday I spent the day tracking down what is apparently the last copy of Woolly Thoughts in NYC although you can easily find No Pattern Knits which is newer but not as good IMO.

In the winter I knit socks and hats and in fall I knit scarves. This is not planned knitting but that seems to happen automatically.

Must knit sweaters...must knit sweaters.......

GFTC of NYC

www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

Jaknit
Seriously Hooked

639 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  4:45:37 PM  Show Profile Send Jaknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often set impossible goals to knit in season (to be worn in the particular season in which I'm knitting) to encourage me to complete the project. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes not. I should plan ahead, but I'm too busy knitting the next fun project. I next plan to cast on a non-wool, light-weight sweater that can be worn in the cooler evenings. Socks are not as pleasant an item to knit in the hot, hot summer.
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  5:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I *try* not to knit sweaters in the summer but generally, I knit what I feel like at the time or it nags me until I cast on...lol.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  9:02:30 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I somewhat like to plan ahead, but really I just knit what i feel like at the tiem and if it happens to be an off season item so be it. I won't knit an afghan on a 90 degree day of course!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/
Go to Top of Page

knittymommy
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  03:58:04 AM  Show Profile Send knittymommy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to knit whatever project jumps in my head. I have to be excited about a project to want to make it. Funny, this is the ONLY part of my life that is not planned out minute by minute. Maybe that's my release valve?

T.L.
Go to Top of Page

argoknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  06:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit argoknit's Homepage Send argoknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually try to knit something in season. That doesn't mean I complete it, but I try. I am working on a cotton sleeveless top for this summer. I've had good luck the past two summers completing one item per summer. When it comes to winter items, again, I try to knit for the season, but I usually get distracted and don't finish it. I have a sweater in one of my knitting bags was finished this winter, except for the finishing (which I hate) so I'll wear it next winter. I've had the yarn for about 3 years, so I guess I'm not in a big hurry.

Blog: http://twistyfarmy.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  09:05:11 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No sweaters for me in the summer, but being a sock knitter I have to say that I take those socks with me everywhere and I knit when I have down time. I even carry them to the garden when we work because ultimately the hubby has to get the tractor out for something and that can take 20 minutes of what I call "barn time". All my 20 minutes add up and I get quite a few rows done in a day that I would not have otherwise accomplished had I not carried those little projects around with me. My sweaters get knit indoors, and usually when I plunk down in a rocker. Bottomline....I have no idea if I qualify as a seasonal project knitter.

~Debbi~NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

stitchmd
Seriously Hooked

716 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  11:47:24 AM  Show Profile Send stitchmd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will work on whatever I feel like making, but if the weather is too hot I can't stand using wool or other winter fibers. I'll switch to a fiber more comfortable to handle and a small project that won't feel like a blanket on my lap.

You can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  2:02:35 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually make washcloths year round. They are the small projects that give me instant gratification while working on a bigger project.
Summer/Fall I usually also include sideways ittens/gloves and hats.
Spring chemo caps.
As for clothing if I find a spring top in a magazine in Winter/Spring magazines and the pattern catches my eye I work on it then so I will have it for Spring/Summer.
Winter top/vest I start in Summer or Fall so I can have it when the weather changes.
Hope this helps
Karen
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  6:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have often thought that this is the way to go....it takes me so long to knit a sweater that I have to wait a season to wear it....whihc sucks.

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

riverspirit
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  10:00:31 PM  Show Profile Send riverspirit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In summer I knit summer scarfs -frothy- and tank tops because I can usually finish them. In september I think about all the wintery thing. Oh, I knit sox through all the seasons

riverspirit
Go to Top of Page

perostott@hotmail.com

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  10:19:24 PM  Show Profile Send perostott@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit whatever asked for - not always seasonal. If nothing has been requested I tend to knit baby shawls or clothes for preparation to give away. Always complete one project at a time; was caught once having borrowed a pattern, not copied it, and retuned before finishing the project. Has to unpick 8 rows & work out the pattern! Too time consuming!!
Really now intend to concentrate on making heirloom lacy table cloths in fine cotton for family (if I get a chance after making the 5 jumpers asked for!)
Go to Top of Page

droeder@gmail.com
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  03:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit droeder@gmail.com's Homepage Send droeder@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, I'm a very basic and deadly-slow knitter. But I tend to plan my knitting around how my time is structured and this changes during the summer.

Here in Massachusetts we try to take advantage of warm sunny weekends by spending a lot of time on our boat. We raft up with other boaters on the Connecticut River, swimming, grilling, enjoying a few brews.

I hate to just be sitting and chatting without keeping my hands busy so I always make sure there's a project I can be working on, one that's portable, during those months.

My weekends aren't as structured during the winter months; as a matter of fact, I'm more likely to be spending winter weekends working on my fiber business.

But having elderly parents in poor health, I always try to keep some project available to take on those 5 hour emergency room visits.

Diane

SojournerDesign
http://sojournerdesign.blogspot.com/
www.sojournersheep.com
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  04:17:26 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knitting throws now. I have started Xmas gifts. Donna
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  04:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is so interesting that you posed this question today, because I just last night listed a new creation on Etsy called Fizz and Feathers, a wintery but lightweight confection, and I commented on it being off-season. Of course, it IS almost winter in half the world, so there is no reason NOT to knit whatever the spirit moves you to make.

I find that I enjoy designing and making knitted/crocheted art-to-wear according to a color or new design idea or based on combinations of yarns and fibers that I love (and have, because I too have a moratorium on buying yarn right now) - whatever the season!

My other inspiration comes from buying (and I am a consignment and thrift shopper) something "new" and then just having to have a neck piece of some sort to go with it. So....the sleeveless coral-colored top I bought yesterday WILL have some sort of matching knitted or crocheted jewelry or neckwrap to match before I wear it.

Happy Knitting!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup

Go to Top of Page

Sibylla
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  04:29:52 AM  Show Profile Send Sibylla a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What i knit depends on what i feel like knitting...sometimes i like a challenge, other times i want to knit and not think too much about it.

Sibylla
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1927 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  04:36:45 AM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of my knitting is very portable. I always knit in the car (I don't drive long distances) and recently came across a pattern called The Road Scarf, which is really a sampler scarf. Something like this would be good for summer trips. I also make dishcloths and try out stitch patterns. My home project is a crocheted shell afghan that my hubby liked, so that is my tv work as it is getting big, warmly, Chayah http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/70023.html if anyone would like to see it

"When I was young I admired clever people. Now that I'm old I admire kind people."(A.J.Heschel)
Go to Top of Page

molly-o
New Pal

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  05:24:46 AM  Show Profile Send molly-o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Summer here is brief and intense. I almost never knit anything specifically "for" summer, since there probably will not be any time to wear it! I do have one sweater whose colours are magically matched to the first couple of weeks of fall in Saskatchewan - deep blue for the sky, orange and yellow and green for the leaves - and the spirit always moves me to work on it when the weather matches the sweater. I think, though, since I've been working on it for three falls now, it's more of a working homage to the season than a project I will ever finish! But I always have socks on the needle. Otherwise, I knit whatever I darn well feel like!
Go to Top of Page

JoliGee
Chatty Knitter

223 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  05:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoliGee's Homepage Send JoliGee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started my summer sweaters back in Feb. and I'm still not done with all of them! I sort of like the idea of knitting an afghan during the summer...

http://asiftoknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

momslake
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  05:37:26 AM  Show Profile Send momslake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit wool almost all year round, and mostly sweaters. I usually have one pair of socks going, and maybe a hat. But like Molly-O, wool sweaters are nearly always in season where I live. Especially in the evenings.

"In the northern wilderness, where wool is a way of life."
My Photos (not all knitting) http://www.flickr.com/photos/9944308@N08/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by