Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Seed Stitch: Which is the Right Side?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HilaryL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  5:28:09 PM  Show Profile Send HilaryL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am knitting a sweater with a seed stitch band around the bottom and it says knit 2 cm "ending with RS row" Which side is the RS, the one that I start right after the cast on? So if I use a cable cast on, then my RS row are the ones coming back toward the tail?

I'm not sure it matters hugely but I don't want to get started on the wrong foot (side) . Thanks!

Hilary

http://hilaryknitstoo.blogspot.com/

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  5:51:16 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The right side row is whichever row you decide it is. The beauty of using seed is there really is no right or wrong till you start your SS or whatever design you are making that has a actual right or wrong side. So what ever you are most comfortable using.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  6:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once you start the stockinette, you might want to loosely tie a piece of scrap yarn to make sure you know right from wrong side. Once you get your stockinette better established you'll know right from wrong side anyway.

Barbara

Ravelry Name: KnitsForPreemies

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  6:47:07 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"ending with RS row"

In this instance, ending with a RS row means to make an odd number of rows of seed stitch. In other words, cast on row, first row of seed stitch. Then the other rows of seed stitch with the ending row of seed stitch matching the first row of seeda stitch.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. Even if you do it wrong it will still look okay and only those who have read the directions and take the time to count your rows will be able to tell.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HilaryL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  8:11:52 PM  Show Profile Send HilaryL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reassurance, all of you! I realized after I started that one side starts with a K and the other with a P ... for some reason I thought they both started with K. But I'm glad to know I don't need to worry, thank you!

Hilary

http://hilaryknitstoo.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knitfan2
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  9:30:21 PM  Show Profile Send knitfan2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you use the cable cast on, usually the first row after the cast on row is a right side row. If you use the long tail cast on, the first row after the cast on row is usually considered a wrong side row. This is because many people think the long horizontal loops at the bottom of the stitch look better than the "purl bump-like" knots below the stitch on the other side. It's a minor detail but you may want to take a look at the bottom edge of these cast ons and see if you don't agree, regardless of the reversible stitch pattern above them.
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  1:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knit Fan came closest to my answer, which is based on the look of your cast on edge. One side will look different than the other, when examining the cast-on edge along with the seed stitch above it. It is all a mater of which appearance you prefer.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

HilaryL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  6:43:06 PM  Show Profile Send HilaryL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you! That totally makes sense about picking which side I like better. I tend to be a blind follower! But this has been educational ... thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Arrabella
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
100 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  05:44:51 AM  Show Profile Send Arrabella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There will be no difference in the actual stitch but there will be a difference in the cast on edge.

I cast on with two needles, using the Cable Cast On method, so when I start row 1, (right side facing)my tail is to the left of the knitting so I always know when I have done an even number of rows.

Maybe you can use this method, taking mote of where your tail is as you start your first row.

Have fun.
Colleen

In NZ, there are about 4 million people & 40 million sheep.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  2:03:31 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main thing is that you use the same side as your RS row on all the sweater pieces so the CO edge will be the same.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by