Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Cave or Circle?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

HawthorneRose
Warming Up

66 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  7:05:11 PM  Show Profile Send HawthorneRose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most knitters I know enjoy knitting in a group--their LYS, church parlor, friends' homes with brunch, wherever that special gang hangs out. It lends technical and moral support, and it's fun to connect. Me, I could knit forever in my own little corner, just bringing a pattern to life and feeling the creative juices flowing. Social conversation would only add stress and probably derail my concentration. (Incipient Alzheimer's, maybe? )

My guess is that our preferred knitting environment reflects our personality in general. Either social-and-lovin' it, or private and pensive. Which are you--a Circle knitter or a Cave knitter?

HawthorneRose

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  7:30:03 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's the cave for me. I can't talk and knit at the same time yet. I'm a fairly new knitter and am now to the point where it is relaxing, but I'm not interested in carrying on a conversation. Actually, since I retired in September from a career spent in retail and dealing with the public all day, I'd just as soon not leave the cave at all. I'm really enjoying the solitude.
Go to Top of Page

beedee
Seriously Hooked

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  7:40:06 PM  Show Profile Send beedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. On the one hand "groupie", on the other hand "solitary". I love to "show and tell", and often take my knittig, Armenian needle lace, or spindling with me wherever I go (local coffee shop, Greek and Kolo Festivals, library.....
However, I am hearing-impaired. Not enough to be considered "deaf", but enough to require me to sit at the front of the class, auditorium, gatherings of any kind. If I can't read lips, I can't comprehend the goings-on. Really, I am not a recluse. So, I am often perceived by others as being "loud and pushy" -- and I ask too many questions! As you can see for yourself from my answer, I'm mostly at ease with myself at home. But I do get out now and then -- and bring my latest creative activity with me. I love to share my interests.
Go to Top of Page

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  7:47:36 PM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's cave knitting for me altho I'm a very social person. I just need my power of concentration when I'm knitting. I can make enough mistakes even in the quiet times and chatting, listening to others would really have me frogging :-) I have to do one or the other,knit or socialize but not both.

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheerleader9/]
[http://www.ravelry.com/people/Cheerleader9]
Barb in AZ

Nothing ventured, Nothing gained.
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2608 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  7:54:40 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only have time to knit in the evenings, and at that point, I'm too tired to go out and/or I like to spend time with my family. So knitting at home in our cave it is.

I like the idea of group knitting, but it just doesn't fit into my life right now.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  8:31:35 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cave, definitely.
I love talking to people about knitting and/or teaching them to knit, and i often take out my needles in situations where others are present, but my greatest pleasure is to sit in my comfy chair at home, listening to music or NPR and letting the rhythm of kntting put me in a sort of zen state. I also like knitting at a local coffee shop--that's not exactly a cave, but I am by myself.

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

pyewackett
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  8:51:22 PM  Show Profile Send pyewackett a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cave AND circle for me. I think I'm bi-purler.

I have projects best suited when I'm by my lonesome and can concentrate on the pattern and give my all to the ebbs and flows of the piece. I love my Zen knitting! But I've always got something to bring to the Wednesday a.m. knitting circle at my LYS. There's usually 5 of us, and rarely more than 8, so it's not a big group. I'm not a social bird, and it was definitely work for me to be comfortable joining a group of any sort. I've been with this group for 15 months and wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

But it's not the projects that dictate my comfort zones. It's however I feel about my place in the world on any given day. Luckily, knitting has proven to be a bridge between me and the world (unfortunately, I don't always bring exact change for the tollbooth).
Go to Top of Page

SR5Rfan
Permanent Resident

USA
1232 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  9:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit SR5Rfan's Homepage Send SR5Rfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bi-Purler!! I actually snorted when I read that ...

But, as for the subject. I'm generally a cave-dweller, but it is more because there isn't really anywhere nearby that I can go with a group. Sis and I try on occasion to get some people together (in fact, we're meeting on Saturday, but it will probably just be the two of us). I enjoy knitting both alone and with others (not much gets accomplished in a group setting). I guess I'm bi-purler too!

Beth
http://sr5rfan.blogspot.com/ Not much knitting on it, but it's a start ...
"I was taught to respect my elders, but it is getting harder and harder to find one"
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2367 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  9:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely circle, whenever I get the chance. I don't knit quite as fast in a group, but I don't have any other problems. There are times where being with a group saves my knitting sanity, such as last night when I was casting on 375 stitches using a knitted cast on. Having people to talk to made it a LOT less annoying.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  10:06:02 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shelia - Impressive. I can't even cast on 37 stitches with someone else around without having to count stitches over and over. How in the world did you remember how many you'd done? Maybe the fact that I'm 61 has something to do with my counting cast on stitches - ya think?
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  11:28:45 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't even hit 37 without losing track and I'm 31! lol I like to knit around my family, around others I still feel a little self concious about it.
I'm definitely a cave knitter. yay me! Actually I would prefer to do everything "cave" style. I'm one of those people that just doesn't like to leave home unless I have to. Not a shut in, just not a get up and go kind of person. I'm comfy here, I don't like crowds, lots of noise (like malls), pushy people, I'm not too good at small talk, I get very nervous around people I don't know well, or don't feel comfortable around and I babble when I'm nervous, so I say stupid things without even thinking, so I'm scared to death of new people and situations. I used to throw up the first day of school every year I was so nervous (almost did it at my new job last year) I also make funny faces and mumble when I knit. If it's something I need to think about I concentrate too much and wouldn't really be a team player, if it's simple I can chat away like crazy, but won't get much done.

So I'm a face making, mumbling, nervous, babbling, shy, scared cave knitter. Funny thing is in all my weirdness, I can still be (or appear to be) a very social, outgoing, talkative, friendly person.

My Flickr pics
Go to Top of Page

Ratbag
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
318 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  02:07:43 AM  Show Profile Send Ratbag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too be honest I'm a cave and circle person. Although I have to confess, I always make sure I've got simple on the go for social occassions - that way it reduces the amount of frogging lol

Sandra

I don't suffer fron insanity, I enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  02:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit at home. I can't imagine sitting in an LYS and knitting at one of those communal tables. I went to a knit night (not at a store) once or twice but I am a solitary knitter. The only place I like to knit in public is on the beach or, once in a while, in the park.

GFTC of NYC

my knitting photos on Flickr
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  04:00:22 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bi-purler! I love the term!! I guess that would be me, too. I do most of my knitting alone, but also enjoy the group thing, sharing and all that. When my knitting DD's are around, we enjoy knitting together. Christmas time was a blast - they hadn't brought their knitting because they figured they'd be too busy, but got the itch, so I provided my stash and my bounty of needles, and the both went home with WIP's.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  05:14:25 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cave AND circle for me. I think I'm bi-purler

I love that.

I'm bi-purler also. I really enjoy knitting in my little cave most of the time. But I also enjoy knitting at my LYS circle, making sure I have something simple to work on.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  06:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
although I usually wind up in the cave, my preference depends on the project. if I'm doing lace I'll do it in a cave then take it to the circle for show & tell. most anything else and I like a circle but unfortunately don't currently have one.

there are 3 circles in my town. one is during hours I'm at work. one is invitation only and although I requested an invitation from the group coordinator it has not been forthcoming. the third is one I have attended in the past but it was moved to a night I have other commitments. debating whether to try forming a 4th one or doing something novel for the area and trying to form a crochet circle. actually, my preference would be a circle where all fiber arts are welcome like the one I attended in the state where I used to live

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

dothead
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
550 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  06:50:14 AM  Show Profile Send dothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cave for me. I did go to a knitting group once and while it was nice to be with other knitters, I didn't have enough room to spread out so it was a bit uncomfortable for me.

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
Go to Top of Page

adalton124
Seriously Hooked

659 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  06:50:32 AM  Show Profile Send adalton124 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm both. I love my solitary knitting, but I also adore seeing other knitters and their projects and just talking and connecting with others. My job tends toward the solitary very often, as do most of my hobbies - reading, knitting, walking the dogs, so it's nice when I get a chance to be social and do something I enjoy.

Angela
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  07:20:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also love both. I like other knitters and I like to be able to create by myself.

See proof of insanity: http://www.crazylanea.com/
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  08:21:28 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm mostly a cave dweller with a once-a-week knitting lunch with my co-workers.

Angie
My pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26414328@N00/
My blog: http://zippyzinnia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

amosellie
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  08:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit amosellie's Homepage Send amosellie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I am Bi-Purler as well! I enjoy both. I just work on the more difficult projects in my cave and "idiot knitting" when there is lots of conversation.

Amosellie
www.antiqueclocksandysprings.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by