Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitter Wrist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  05:35:39 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to ask have you ever heard of knitter wrist? I have a bone sticking out of my right wrist that only shows up when I knit. I didn't knit for a couple of weeks and had no pain now its back. I'm trying now to teach my self a new way of knitting. My sister told me I was a yarn hype because I'm so relaxed when knitting. I know looking for a brace to wear. Donna

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  05:56:07 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you try knitting another way, i.e.: maybe learn continental knitting ?
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  06:18:55 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I trying now to teach my self continental knitting I have been going on knitting help.com. Wish me luck Donna
Go to Top of Page

fiberlicious
Permanent Resident

1637 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  09:01:00 AM  Show Profile Send fiberlicious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go see a doctor, pronto. This is nothing to self-diagnose.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  09:29:24 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Be sure that when you are knitting, your wrists are bent up like this __/ . Allowing them to drop down puts a lot of strain on them. That is what braces do. Hold them in the slightly upright positions.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  4:16:35 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd still want to see a doctor if you can. I know it seems silly for something this simple but there are at least a couple of things it could be that need the attention of a Dr. My mother had a lump on a bone in her hand, this after an operation on her hand, and it was easy to diagnose and cure. It was an infection. I'm not trying to scare you, just get you to consider all options. Wood workers sometimes get this, too.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

beedee
Seriously Hooked

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  11:56:47 AM  Show Profile Send beedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First see a doctor. Second see this excellent tutorial by sarakate in the General Techniques Forum, under the topic Continental Purling. I suspect you may also have developed carpal tunnel syndrome or some variation of Repetitive Stress Injury (RSI) Hope the pain goes away soon!
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  05:17:43 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello All. I went to the doctor about my wrist. Beedee you must be a Doc.You were right in what you thought was wrong. He told me that I had a Repetitive Stress Injury. He knew I was a knitter because his Mom was a knitter. I have a brace to wear and a promise baby sweater for his twin girls. Donna
Go to Top of Page

beedee
Seriously Hooked

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  10:26:13 AM  Show Profile Send beedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, not a Doc, but several years of med-oriented college studies. When I developed carpal tunnel syndrome (way back when) I took a large wooden spoon and cupped my hand lightly around the bowl of the spoon and then pulled a heavy cotton athletic sock over the whole rig. Wore it to bed and "slept on it" every night for about a month. I also took up another avenue of employment which did not require repetitive hand/wrist/elbow movements. Take care -- you wouldn't want to sacrifice knitting would you?!
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  11:36:16 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no way I'm giving up knitting. I haven't had a headache, my blood pressure has been low since I started knitting. Four years ago my blood pressure landed me in a hospital for a week. I am going to do just what he told me so I can keep on knitting.Donna
Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  7:32:17 PM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been having good luck with switching off between English and Continental. Whenever anything starts feeling tired doing it one way, I change. I hope to learn the Irish Cottage Knitting like the Yarn Harlot does, and then I'll have a third way.

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
59 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  01:24:14 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had wrist problems from knitting, made much worse when an employer insisted I knit with straight needles. Luckily that was a very short-term job! My physiotherapist taught me some "nerve stretches" that help. And I knit Continental on circular needles. The standard precautions against overuse should help you avoid the problem in future. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  03:57:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also suggest seeing an orthopedic surgeon who can determine precisely what the problem is. There may be a simple solution - a wrist brace, physical therapy, short-term rest, ice, heat, to name a few ideas. Only the doctor can diagnose. I occasionally have acute wrist pain. unrelated to knitting, but then I put on a small brace (apart from the carpal tunnel braces I wear at night) and it seems to help. I'm a tennis player, and I've found that whether or not I play AND KNIT through the pain, it still goes away in a few days. Good luck!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup

Go to Top of Page

knitfiction
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  04:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitfiction's Homepage Send knitfiction a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found that it's very important to support my right arm on a pillow or the arm of a chair when I knit so I don't unconsciously tense muscles when I'm holding the needles. I'm a writer and have dealt with RSS from that job so I know how painful it can be. Ice and regular stretching exercises have also been very helpful..hope it clears up soon.

my website: www.elizabethwinthrop.com
my ravelry page:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/knitfiction
Go to Top of Page

Renee Inez
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  05:10:16 AM  Show Profile Send Renee Inez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there,
Not only have I become a continental knitter to avoid wrist/elbow pain, but I wear either a stretchy crafter's support glove (available at Joann's) or, more recently, wrist supports which contain a metal stay. The brand I have, Wrist-o-prene, allows plenty of movement for knitting, yet supports the wrist so that you can knit comfortably.
Of course, I agree that seeing a doctor for a diagnosis is a good idea.
Renee from WNY
Go to Top of Page

honeyvarita
New Pal

Chile
1 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  05:55:54 AM  Show Profile Send honeyvarita a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a badly wrist pain some months ago, my doctor told me to use at night something that has a metal thing inside, to prevent moving from my wrist to middle finger. He is a neurologist, and told me that we move them too much at night, we don't realize, as we are sleeping, lol, it is like a fingerless mitten, sold without prescription, that I used for a few weeks, also prevents carpial tunnel, and no drugs because non-inflamatory ones can affect your stomach. It really works for me, I use it, even if there is nothing wrong, for some nights. Keep it in mind to ask for it to your doctor, hope it helps, Ruth

Ruth in Chile
Go to Top of Page

jmorris33@cfl.rr.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  06:29:31 AM  Show Profile Send jmorris33@cfl.rr.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of experience with knitter's wrist! Carpal tunnel surgery was invasive, and lasted only a couple of years. Then I discovered cold laser, which is administered by a chiropractor. The doc treats both the ulnar tunnel at the elbow, and the carpal tunnel at the wrist. She also does a bit of zapping with an activator. Some docs do the Graston technique, which is also good, and if you can find a Cranial Osteopath, or a Chiropractor who does SOT, that's wonderful, too.
Go to Top of Page

rose2762@yahoo.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  06:30:53 AM  Show Profile Send rose2762@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Donna,
You might try magnet therapy. I wear magnet bracelets, they work for me.

Rose3763
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  07:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a lot of pain in my wrist, diagnosed as carpal tunnel syndrome or as tendonitis by doctors. They treated it with a brace, dipping it in hot then cold water, etc etc. I was taking a lot of ibuprofen. It was triggered by my moving to a career that had me using a computer keyboard all day. But the joints in my hands and wrists have always been sensitive, and knitting was causing problems too. I made two or three big changes that have helped tremendously. First, I switched to continental-style knitting. More recently, I began moving away from metal needles. I had loved Addis and used only Addis for a long time, but had snapped the only Addi Naturas I had tried. So I am also relaxing myg rip on my needles, and have switched almost entirely to the Knitpicks Horizon laminate needles. I can now knit, even with inelastic yarns like cotton and linen, without pain in my hands. Hope everyone's advice helps! (I also found a chiropractor who helped to an enormous extent, but I have also been to others whose treatments had no apparent success.)

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

bevkapp@gmail.com
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  08:05:34 AM  Show Profile  Send bevkapp@gmail.com a Yahoo! Message Send bevkapp@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donnawatk

I have to ask have you ever heard of knitter wrist? I have a bone sticking out of my right wrist that only shows up when I knit. I didn't knit for a couple of weeks and had no pain now its back. I'm trying now to teach my self a new way of knitting. My sister told me I was a yarn hype because I'm so relaxed when knitting. I know looking for a brace to wear. Donna

I'm not a doctor but had a similar problem. It's probably a form of carpel tunnel so I would let a doctor look at it. I just did a few stretches he told me about and now I don't knit as long at one time and it's fine. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

dyetoknit@yahoo.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  08:12:19 AM  Show Profile Send dyetoknit@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get some Handeze brand fingerless gloves. They massage your wrist and hand while doing whatever. I couldn't live w/o mine.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?