Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Great Vise for One-handed Knitting & Crocheting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  12:13:03 PM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very excited! This morning, I googled "one-handed knitting" in an attempt to help my mother knit again. She had a stroke 2 weeks ago that affected her right (dominant) leg & arm. The leg is improving, but not yet the arm or fingers. She eyes my knitting longingly and says she wants to knit so badly.

So the first thing to pop up was a archived KR post from Fran (fmarrs) dated 11/19/2003 talking about this clamp. I took one look and whooped! Ma could use that to crochet (& maybe even knit)!!! (THANK YOU, FRAN!)

Before I ordered one, I checked out local stores. Here is what I finally decided to get from Sears, thinking it would do well for crocheting & knitting and maybe other things as well. We're in for a long haul here.

Now, half of my day has been spent knitting & crocheting with only my left hand. Y'all, it is working! Quite well, too! The vise is quite easy to adjust with one hand when shifting from one needle to another. And the little pinkish pads hold the needle or hook without any slipping or sliding. I am using it suctioned to a tray held in my lap.

I dug out my long straights to prop the left one on the lip of the tray as needed. I haven't gone so far as to imagine doing anything wider than a scarf, but who knows?! But that's fine, 'cause Ma & I were just starting our Christmas knitting (I do the hats, she does the scarves). She's got some scarves to do to catch up with my hats!

I can hardly wait 'til tomorrow for my "shift" sitting with her. I'm off to try to improve the tension on the feed yarn. Cross your fingers! Oh, and all ideas about any of this would be welcomed!

Marilyn

Fraggle
Seriously Hooked

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  12:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fraggle's Homepage Send Fraggle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad to hear that you've found something. I'll keep you all in my thoughts!

~ Fraggle

". . . Or if you send me your size I'll knit you a new one" -Hawkeye on M*A*S*H

My websites:
Fraggle's World and For Me?! Knit-a-long
Go to Top of Page

pyewackett
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  3:23:31 PM  Show Profile Send pyewackett a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, your mom will be so grateful. You can tell she raised you well. I got all teary just reading your post. I can only imagine how good she will feel to enjoy a favorite pastime again. You're restoring a precious part of her world. Scarf yarns of the world, get ready!

It was very smart of you to try the process first. This will get her going much sooner than if you both had to figure it out together.

Best of luck to both of you. Keep us posted -

- pye
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  4:14:32 PM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn that is wonderful

If there's a will there's a way

and to think when you googled KR came through
with the answer from our Fran

Give Ma another hug for me and tell her I keep
her in my thoughts and prayers

Hubby is heading your way the first week of Sept
for the yearly family gettogether at Edisto Beach
I can't go cause someone has to be here with mom
She fell again a couple days ago but no broken bones this time

remember girlfriend take some time out and try to relax a little

shaggy

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  4:30:13 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, what a great find! And our Fran surely does know a thing of three about knitting past an "Ob Stackle".

I use this spelling because of recently watching the movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou".

Marilyn, healing thoughts from here, too. Hugs for you both and much happiness, too, for your knitting together times.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  6:32:46 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A neat way to control tension. I use this when my fingers won't bend. You will have to think of a way to mount it but that shouldn't be too difficult.

http://www.patternworks.com/productdetail/300067.htm

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

queen of the east
Seriously Hooked

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  6:47:52 PM  Show Profile Send queen of the east a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is exciting! I imagine that being able to knit again will do wonders for your Mom's recovery. I wish you both the very best. Your Mom raised you right.

Ann in Montreal
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  04:55:50 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love it! And she will be so happy!! That was a kind and loving thing to do for her, Mertle! May you both enjoy the adventure together.

Fran, you are amazing too. Serious strength!

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  04:58:18 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful! Thank heavens for all those people who think up ways to make the things happen that we want to happen!

New blog, not about knitting, but I bet it keeps sneaking in: http://greenbananascancerblog.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  6:07:05 PM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'all sure know how to make a girl feel good! Thanks so much to all of you for your encouragement.

Ma loved it! She took off right away crocheting a chain, smiling the whole time. Took some figuring, but she got it down pretty good. She needs to do it looser, or she'll never get the hook through. But, for first day, she did great!

AND, folks, she MOVED HER RIGHT ARM TODAY! First time, to my knowledge.

Pye, you're so right about trying it first. I fumbled a little even though I'd practiced, but she was off & running pretty quickly.

Shaggy, hugs to you and your mom, too. So glad nothing broke this time.

Off to check out the tension control tool again. Thanks, Fran!

Marilyn
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2753 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  7:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Marilyn, what about something like this http://www.heartdesign.co.uk/who.html as her recovery continues? I saw those just Sunday in Simply Knitting, and spent quite a while looking for them tonight for your mom. Hopefully she'll be off and creating before you know it.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  7:48:11 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That looks good but I can't afford over $80. I use one of those gel things sold for use with computer keyboards. It is shaped like a large sausage about 15 inches long. Sometimes I put it on one of those lap desks with the bean bag on the bottom. I don't remember what the gel support was, I bought it too many years ago, but I just got a new lap desk for $10 and it has a lot of uses.

fran

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sorka
Gabber Extraordinaire

486 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  10:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sorka's Homepage  Send Sorka a Yahoo! Message Send Sorka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could also try loom knitting with her! It's a great alternative. Coming up in the fall issue of Loom Knitters Circle Magazine we have an article about just that! Adapting for special needs! Glad to hear she is crocheting and starting to get more mobile!

Denise
My Knitting Without Needles Blog..Stop on by!
http://www.knitchat.com
Loom knitting patterns and more at Loom Knitters Circle E-zine!
www.loomknitterscircle.com
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  3:17:47 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to the Minnesota History Center last weekend, we are in the middle of our susquacentenial and they had a special exhibit with things from all over the state, the top 150 things that make Minnesota special. One of those exhibits was about the Courage center for the disabled. I've known about it for eyars as DHs grandma and cousins with MS have gone for years. But as part of the exhibit they had a few of the items created by Minnesotans to aid the disabled.

One of those things was an ingenious little clamp system with jointed arms. Clamped in the clamps? Knitting needles! It was basically a small heavy base, with two jointed arms with little alligator clapms at the ends. It could be used left or right or both. I suppose you could even use your mouth or toes to move the arms if you couldn't use your hands. Similar to this http://www.sjmediasystem.com/12-051.html I have searched and searched and can't find one with the jointed arms like I saw that day, btu I thought of it when I saw this post. Maybe someone else out there knows what I'm talking about. I think it could be very useful to many. Looks like these tools are originally intended for electronics for soldering.

My Flickr pics
Ravelry: MindyO
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  05:55:58 AM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of these tools are fascinating-and so helpful! Into my databank for future referral. Marilyn, you're a terrific daughter!
Go to Top of Page

ellensatch@msn.com
Chatty Knitter

256 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  6:43:40 PM  Show Profile Send ellensatch@msn.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still praying for your Mom Marilyn!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?