Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knegative Knitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  4:24:27 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I the only person who can knit for hours and end up with less than I started with?

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  4:29:44 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most definitely you are not the only one.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  5:36:12 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'course not. But there is hope...

Eventually you get past that. The next step is running-in-place knitting, where it doesn't get any longer no matter what you do, so you realize you're just measuring too often. The next time you measure, of course, it'll be three inches too long.
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  6:21:14 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the laugh Kelly - something to look forward to!!
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  8:02:27 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope! The longer I knit the farther back I have to rip when I screw up.

My Flickr pics
Ravelry: MindyO
Go to Top of Page

fiberlicious
Permanent Resident

1637 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  06:27:10 AM  Show Profile Send fiberlicious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm famous for that. My group keeps book on what time I'll start ripping.
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  08:56:18 AM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly B

The next step is running-in-place knitting, where it doesn't get any longer no matter what you do...

LOL! Exactly! The Twilight Zone for WIPs. Two of my projects are stuck in there at the present. I measure once a week and the measuring tape does show some progress, but I swear, it lies to make me feel better.

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  09:18:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly B

'course not. But there is hope...

Eventually you get past that. The next step is running-in-place knitting, where it doesn't get any longer no matter what you do, so you realize you're just measuring too often. The next time you measure, of course, it'll be three inches too long.

AH, YES. Neverending knitting. I have never had that problem.

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  10:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe this is what The Yarn Harlot refers to as "The Knitter's Black Hole."

PAM

WIP = Patons Cabled Yoke Pullover (knit), One-Stitch Cardigan (knit), Peppermint Stick Afghan (crochet)

Done this year = Scrap Scarf (knit), Gloves (knit), Mittens (knit), Afghan (crochet), Pinwheel Afghan (crochet), Knit Your Bit Scarf for the WWII Museum (knit - charity), Scrap Sweater (knit), House Socks (knit), Easy Playtime Set (knit), Aran Stitch Afghan (crochet), hat (knit)

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1797 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  4:13:12 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It happened to me last night!

I am knitting on Basket of Flowers shawl which has a garter stitch, pretty lace flower pattern. Watching the Convention was a little distracting, and my spectacular 1.5 inches of knitting had to be frogged and tinked back almost 2 inches!

Knitting teaches us how to lose, as do baseball, good women running for President, and arthritis.

Boy I am grumpy! So Cheers, everybody!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  02:51:17 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two steps forward, one back. Turbo with 6 steps forward...7 back. Have tantrum.

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

761 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  07:19:44 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't feel bad I have been knitting a month on a shawl and it looks like I just started. Donna
Go to Top of Page

tamdoll@comcast.net
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  9:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit tamdoll@comcast.net's Homepage Send tamdoll@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just noticed this for the first time EVER. Trying to make a washcloth with teeny tiny yarn and I thought I was losing my marbles. After hours of work, would get a 1/2" done. I'm going to pull out some bulky & size 10 needles tomorrow and get started on something HUGE.

http://tamdoll.blogspot.com
http://www.tamdoll.etsy.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamdoll
Go to Top of Page

beedee
Seriously Hooked

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  10:08:01 PM  Show Profile Send beedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe you can hope it's just your tape measure stretching out from overuse?
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  03:57:59 AM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had one project I tried. A "simple" dishcloth. HA! By the time I frogged for the last time and I cut the cotton that was too crinkled to save or knotterd, I had less mercerized cotton than I started with.

Sometimes if you make a scarf, by the time it hits the mid point, the scarf doesn't seem to get larger faster. Especially if you use smaller needles. Dealing with that issue as I currently type.

Sara Sue your not the only one in your delima. :)
Karen
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  04:23:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last time this happened to me, I ripped the entire project and returned the unused yarn. When the store told me they only gave store credit for purchases over $50 (mine was $80), I burst into tears.

Obviously, negative knitting and me do not go together. The store made things right, but I've never gone back.

-- susi

--That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Go to Top of Page

suzinuss@aol.com
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  04:30:36 AM  Show Profile Send suzinuss@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well...I read your blogs and laughed out loud...I am guilty of all of it.
I work on several projects at one time. at least one small needle and one large. then there are the items that are in the "crochet to finish" mode which I can only take out in the car or when I am alone...then there are the "I know I should rip this for a better fit" items which I hopelessly wait to try on again thinking I might lose (or gain) weight. But what makes it all worthwhile are the many many items that are pretty darn perfect when I try them on.
I have so much "stuff" that I have knitted that I have taken up jewelry making because the amount of sweaters in my closet is obscene and I live in Florida for the winter months so I really don't get a chance to wear them much?!?.
Go to Top of Page

SunKnits
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  05:18:08 AM  Show Profile Send SunKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This happened last night as I was tinking back a whole row of lace.My husband asked me through my muttering if I ever made any progress.Doesn't he realize I have a very sharp Harmony needle in my hand?
Go to Top of Page

magifox
New Pal

21 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  05:28:51 AM  Show Profile Send magifox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes - sometimes it's a killer. It happens when I see a beautiful yarn and want to knit with it. I bought some Arequina (Lily Pond) 4 months ago and tried 4 different sock patterns knitted..pondered...argued with myself...and frogged - 4 times!! Now I am happy with the Fools Rush pattern which is interesting enough to satisfy and shows off the gorgeous colours.

I love yarn! I still have a hank of DIC Smooshy to find something for....... Hopefully, I will do better next time.
Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

691 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  06:07:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's the gremlins. They sneak into your knitting bag while you sleep and unravel ever so quietly...

off jumps jack
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  07:01:27 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scraffan

Sometimes if you make a scarf, by the time it hits the mid point, the scarf doesn't seem to get larger faster. Especially if you use smaller needles. Dealing with that issue as I currently type.
That's the killer place for me with scarves - the midway point - where I start thinking that it is going nowhere fast. That's where I start putting a marker of some sort, like a coil-less safety pin, to prove to myself that yes, I AM getting somewhere, to help keep me from insanity.

The elusive measurement aggravates me too. I wish that were easy on all projects! I am happy when I can count - pattern repeats - stitches - anything.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?