Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 I think I must be really odd......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ratbag
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
318 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  09:53:13 AM  Show Profile Send Ratbag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone rants about second sock syndrome & how they dislike doing the second sock.

I actually enjoy knitting the second sock more than the first, my reasoning -
When knitting the first sock I am struggling to learn a new pattern, constantly constantly checking & counting stitches. But when it come to the second sock, I've sort of got the pattern right in my head and feel alot more confident while I'm knitting.

Told you I was really odd

Sandra
I don't suffer from insanity, Ienjoy it.

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  10:10:06 AM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel the same way. The only exception is if I really hate the pattern of the first sock.

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  10:44:28 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whatever works for you. I haven't found it too difficult to get the 2nd sock done, but I do like doing them both, settling details on the fly (I'm a lousy example for my daughter -- I hate writing things down) and being certain of getting both socks the same and having enough yarn for two (making them from the toe up, by definition, quit when you're happy or out of yarn)

OTOH, not tangling multiple skeins is probably pretty nice, too.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  11:12:00 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only had SSS with one pair and now that that is over with, expect to settle down and knit another just like it with no problems at all. I have no idea what happened but it seems to be over. Wheeeww!

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

ellensatch@msn.com
Chatty Knitter

256 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  6:45:04 PM  Show Profile Send ellensatch@msn.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I knit sox I like to start the 2nd sock after I finish the heel of the first sock. I knit sox ankle down, and for me the most PITA part of knitting them is getting the first 2 rows done without twisting them. Ratbag, I don't think you're odd, but basically sensible.
Go to Top of Page

orangeknits
Warming Up

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  02:27:03 AM  Show Profile Send orangeknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sandra, I agree with you.....and my second sock always seems to look better than the first....can't believe I just ratted myself out. Blush!
Go to Top of Page

Ratbag
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
318 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  02:34:40 AM  Show Profile Send Ratbag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we could ban together, call ourselves something like SSSL "Secret Second Sock Lovers" lol

Sandra
I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

beedee
Seriously Hooked

USA
705 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  06:29:45 AM  Show Profile Send beedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ratbag

Maybe we could ban together, call ourselves something like SSSL "Secret Second Sock Lovers" lol

Sandra
I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it.

I'll second that!
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  1:02:32 PM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll third it! I definitely like knitting the second sock better. I have a first sock trying my patience right now. I can't wait to finish it and get to the second sock.

Go to Top of Page

stellal
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
956 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  8:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit stellal's Homepage Send stellal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
me to, I am up for SSSL - never understood sss (second sock syndrome) as I always wanted to wear them or gift them, so the second sock flew fast.

Stella
I don't spend nearly enough time knitting. I don't have nearly enough yarn stashed for the future. My knit to frog ratio is around 2:1 and on show here www.Knitknitfrog.blogspot.com
where I even video my knitting!
Go to Top of Page

Tabernash
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  8:47:23 PM  Show Profile Send Tabernash a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for a one legged woman with a size 10 foot. I'm so glad to hear there's an actual syndrome for my problem! I'm going to finish the second sock this time or NO MORE SOCKS!
Go to Top of Page

stef@cat-and-dragon.com
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  9:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit stef@cat-and-dragon.com's Homepage Send stef@cat-and-dragon.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate knitting socks one at a time because they always turn out different sizes. I am not crazy about knitting socks two at a time, but even with all the yarn untangling involved, it ends up taking less time than frogging and reknitting half of the second sock.
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
58 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  12:31:56 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never had a real problem getting the second sock done, but now I've discovered knitting two together using "magic loop", I'm not in a hurry to go back to knitting them one by one. My problem now is that I'm less inclined to write down what I'm doing, as I don't have to check for knitting the second sock (I almost always make up my own patterns). But I like to keep records for future reference.
Go to Top of Page

Ratbag
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
318 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  01:23:13 AM  Show Profile Send Ratbag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tabernash, shall I remind you of that (NO MORE SOCKS) when you start the next pair of socks lol.

Keep saying I'm going to try knitting a pair at the same time, but still haven't found someone local who can show me, yet.... lol

Sandra
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

vinette
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  03:59:55 AM  Show Profile Send vinette a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi
I personally dislike knitting the second sock. The way I get around this is to knit 2 socks on 2 circulars. I like some patterns, but have to be careful of the number of stitches. If the pattern calls for more than 60 stitches, I know the sock will be tooooo big for me.

I recently made a pair of patterned socks, following the instructions and when finished they were too big. So I gave them to my son. He has a size 12 foot.

If I can downsize the number of stitches I will try a new pattern, otherwise I use my sock yarn doing the sockinette stitch.

vinette
Go to Top of Page

jinniver
Chatty Knitter

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  05:21:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit jinniver's Homepage Send jinniver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've experienced SSS, and I wasn't even knitting socks! :-) I actually blogged about it so that I'd have to sit down and think about why I having so much trouble finishing the second item (in this case, a fingerless glove I was designing for my son). I realized that what I like most about knitting are the initial discoveries--working through problems (more often when I'm designing than when I'm knitting from someone else's design, of course!) and seeing what I get at the end. I find trying to match (though not exactly) that finished picture on a pattern or in my head very exciting. But once I've done that, I'm trying to match a finished object I've already done, which is work, not a discovery. :-) I don't find covering the same ground I already have very exciting--I'd rather be Lewis and Clark than the second guy to follow that trail (there's a reason no one knows his name!). :-)

Jen (jinniver on Ravelry)
My blog: The Sarah Winchester of Fiber Arts
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  05:35:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Steph -- SSS isn't my problem, I love doing them together on the ML so they come out the same size.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

srvelinda@aol.com

USA
Posted - 09/04/2008 :  07:10:46 AM  Show Profile Send srvelinda@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just gotten back into knitting socks... there are so many beautiful self-patterning yarns out there. What bothers me is when the stripes don't align on both socks. Is it too much trouble to match the starting point when casting on? Am I too picky??

www.velinda14.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

happystasher
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  07:29:30 AM  Show Profile Send happystasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too enjoy knitting the second sock! I knit socks most often one at a time using dpns, sometimes I use 2 circs depending on the pattern. I've only suffered from SSS two times -- in both cases, a period of gift knitting swooped in and got in the way so it wasn't a case of losing interest. To me, the big motivator is that I can't wear them unless I have the second one done, and I play a game with myself to see how much faster I can knit the second one than the first. I find that if I cast on for the second sock as soon as the first one is finished, I maintain my rhythm and motivation for the second sock.

Once I tried knitting them in tandem like a friend of mine prefers to do -- I wound the yarn into two cakes, cast on for one and worked on it, then the next time, I'd cast on for the other and worked on it. Each time I came back to the project, I would knit on the one that was further behind. Using this method, I finished both socks within days of the other which prevents SSS and it helps with consistency between both socks when you do any mods. The downside is you have to have 2 pairs of teh same size needles, but I have multiple pairs of dpns anyway so I can have more than one sock going at a time anyway. Since I haven't found knitting the second sock to be a problem for me, I haven't used that method since that one time. But thought I'd mention it as another method to avoid SSS if you don't care for the two at the same time using magic loop or two circs.
Go to Top of Page

pdh1969
Chatty Knitter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  07:32:24 AM  Show Profile Send pdh1969 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also like knitting the SS. I usually anxious to get them completed to give to an intended recipient or wear myself. My only problem is that sometimes I think I know the pattern better than I do:-) I had an issue with a SS in Lorna's Laces & I never could get it to stripe like the first one. I tried starting at different ends and different places. I let them be fraternal twins and I wear them anyway.

I've never tried 2 at once. My fear is that I wouldn't like the pattern and/or yarn or they'd be the wrong size. Then I'd have 2 socks to frog. Too painful.
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  08:23:28 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suffer from SSS. I now make my socks on magic loop and love having them done at the same time. Just my preference I guess.

~Debbi~NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.