Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 A book of stitches
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  12:29:48 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonder why nobody says EZ?

Ok sorry, I didn't read the topic properly. It's book of stitches... and not knitting book in general.
Go to Top of Page

mercab2002
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  12:19:38 PM  Show Profile Send mercab2002 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tips.I'm back to knitting again after 25 years and went to my first yarn festival. Needless to say I need ideas for all the great yarn I bought. I love to knit hats and socks and am currently looking for a pattern for fingerless mitts. any suggestions?

If you want something to change; change something.
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  2:45:19 PM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bookrep

The original editions of the Harmony Guides are much better than the Interweave reprints, IMHO.

200 Ripple Stitches (Krause Publications, ISBN 089689276X) is another favorite of mine. I use it over and over.

Have the mistakes been corrected in this one? I've seen several reviews from people who tried some of the patterns and found errors.
Go to Top of Page

Squam
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  11:26:25 AM  Show Profile Send Squam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another vote for Barbara Walker's Treasuries. I only have #2, which was a gift. Would love to buy the others, but am hesitating as I spent nearly a whole winter trying out different patterns in the one I do have. No charts doesn't bother me at all as I find them confusing. (You all should have seen the mess I made of Alix's Lace Prayer Shawl - "Back on Blossom Street" trying to use one.)
Question - does anyone think my problem with charts stems from my being left-handed and knitting right handed?
Go to Top of Page

2totangle
Permanent Resident

1212 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  12:56:24 PM  Show Profile Send 2totangle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Squam, and welcome. I'm a right-hander who knits left-handed and loves charts. I think it's just a matter of how your brain works best. In school, I loved geometry, and I'm very visual, so I'll often chart out written directions for myself just to make the knitting go easier. Others prefer algebra, or trig, or hate math altogether. Just find what works for you (e.g., you might find yourself writing out directions from charts -- the opposite of what I do) and roll with it.

Suzanne

A few pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  5:06:36 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mercab2002

. Needless to say I need ideas for all the great yarn I bought. I love to knit hats and socks and am currently looking for a pattern for fingerless mitts. any suggestions?

If you want something to change; change something.

Join Raverly. There is a group there for fingerless mmittens. I cannot tell you how many patterns they have available. Never took the time to count them but there are all sorts of styles to look at.

Also I bet if you google free fingerless glove knit patterns you should come up with some.

I think Berroco Yarn if you go to their offical webpage, they offer free patterns, I think they might have a pair too.

Good luck on your search.
Karen
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by