Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 To frog, or not to frog?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

eepster
Seriously Hooked

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  5:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit eepster's Homepage Send eepster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is the question.

So I spent ages knitting a sweater, and it was almost done when I started getting really obvious pooling on the sleeves. I decided to put the sleeves aside (well not really since it;s a top down raglan so they are attached already) and do the applied band all around the front neck and waist (it's a cardigan.) Well that turned out all wrong (have I mentioned that I work with out patterns.) I figured I'd go back to working on the sleeves and come back and rip that out later. I tried changing the rate of increase (I wanted medieval bell shaped sleeves) and see if that would fix the pooling, but it just got worse and worse. I decide I'll rip back to where the pooling started, and start picking up the stitches at that point and putting them on stitch holders.

Well while trying it on to figure out exactly where to rip the sleeves back to and what to do with them after ripping back I realize that I've gained 5 lbs since I planned out the waist and bust fitting! I put the sweater aside for the summer.

So I got it out today. It's too small, has a weird ruffly button band, I wish I had used knit front and back increases instead of yarn over increases to shape the raglan shoulders, and the horizontal streaks make me look lumpy. To top it off I don't know what to do with the sleeves.

I look at the tarn and can think of a dozen better ways to use it. Plus I'd like the needles (my only pair of Addis) free for another project.

So, frogging seems like the only sensible option here, right? But yet, I just can't bring myself to do it.

{o,o}
./)_)
.." "
Jen
http://www.buddhabellyart.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/buddhabellyart
http://www.cafepress.com/4theloveofyarn

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4376 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  6:20:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Attach a yarn end to your ball winder and let it go. If you have another use for the yarn and you need the needles, all the more reason to frog. You'll be glad you did!

Jane

Betty needs a vacation: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  7:00:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I am kind of weird (well really weird) but I find frogging kind of freeing - maybe it is because I frog almost as much as I knit... Frog IT like Jane said - but put some really good music on while you do it!
Go to Top of Page

eepster
Seriously Hooked

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  7:41:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit eepster's Homepage Send eepster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, music. That might make it a bit easier.

{o,o}
./)_)
.." "
Jen
http://www.buddhabellyart.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/buddhabellyart
http://www.cafepress.com/4theloveofyarn
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1460 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  05:51:58 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might as well reuse your yarn because you will never be satisfied with the cardigan the way it is and chucking it is a waste of yarn. Frog it, be careful about varigated yarn, and try using patterns (at least for refernce). The idea of using a ball winder to frog is great. It makes quick work of an unpleasant task.
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  06:25:21 AM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eepster
So, frogging seems like the only sensible option here, right?

Yep. Have a drink or two, put on some music you love - great tip, rho!! - wash and dry your yarn to get the kinks out. Then put it away until the right project for it comes along. Or sell it, if there's no chance. ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Knitasha
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
355 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  07:13:14 AM  Show Profile Send Knitasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agree; it's frogging time.
However, if you're going to take Mickey's advice and wash the yarn to get the kinks out, it would be better to wind it into hanks instead of on the ball winder. The compact "cakes" that a ball winder makes will take a year to dry.

A niddy-noddy would be ideal for making hanks if you have one, but you can use the back of a chair or a stiff piece of cardboard.

If you want to stay with the ball winder, I'd just spray the balls, not soak them. That would probably be enough to relax and straighten the yarn.

Courage (and the beverage of your choice)!

"Where so many hours have been spent in convincing myself that I am right, is there not some reason to fear I may be wrong?"
--Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  08:56:31 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
naw, don't think Mickey meant to wash the yarn before or after if using the ball winder

She was referring to Rho's tip on listening to music
Rho you are so funny with the frogging

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Go to Top of Page

2totangle
Permanent Resident

1212 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  10:04:14 AM  Show Profile Send 2totangle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frog away! I think it's fantastic that you don't use patterns, but at least with me, that means a fair amount of changing things on the fly and ripping when it doesn't work out as planned. Liberate your yarn and yourself!

Just a thought on your project, in case you want to start the same one over: can you avoid the pooling by knitting alternating rows off two different balls? You might have to fiddle with the start points and how many rows to do off each ball. Another thought, from someone who's recently had too many WIPs -- you don't need to keep your Addis in a project that's sleeping. Just put it on waste yarn. Have fun!

Suzanne

A few pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  4:32:10 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just frogged back 7 hard fought rows of an aran sweater, and now that it's done, I feel much better. Did you frog yet?

Rho, what a great suggestion. Music.. The flight of the Bumble Bee?

Pics at Flickr
Zippiknits
The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  11:28:28 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You don't want to frog because you put all that effort into knitting it? Frog it NOW. It is a disipline thing. One of the last things I do when teaching someone to knit is to make them frog something. You have learned a lot from this sweater, had manyg hours of relaxed knitting and enjoyment. Give this too small sweater its credit and frog it. It wants to become something useful that pleases you.

Another way to handle yarn that pools is to knit every other row in a coordinating solid color. That seams to break up the pools.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FluffyKnitterDeb
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  01:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit FluffyKnitterDeb's Homepage Send FluffyKnitterDeb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There seems to be much more that you dislike than you like about this sweater. If it was just one thing, perhaps you could live with it but this litany of displeasure says only one thing to me: Frog it and move on to some other project that makes you 100% (or as close as you can get) happy! Use the yarn for a more pleasing purpose.

I just have to make this comment tho, for your next sweater....you mention "gaining 5 pounds" since the inception of this sweater and I just have to ask...would gaining 5 pounds actually have that much impact on the fit of a cardi? 50 pounds, yes, but FIVE? I think for your next inception, a cardi with a bit more "leeway" (ease) might be more satisfactory since who's weight doesn't fluctuate now and then?

Fluffy Knitters are well rounded :)
Read my blog at http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

orangeknits
Warming Up

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  02:54:36 AM  Show Profile Send orangeknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it were me.....I'd rip it, rip it
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  03:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jen, you are not destroying a sweater that didn't work out - you are gaining some yarn (and needles as a bonus)!

Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  05:07:24 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with everyone else. Frog away, and enjoy the process. I just finished frogging an entire (topdown) sweater that suddenly shrank between the gauge square and the end. Frogging is a truly liberating experience.

New blog, not about knitting, but I bet it keeps sneaking in: http://greenbananascancerblog.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  05:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's knitting: have a do over and be happy that it wasn't a half finished quilting project! :)

trek casts on
Go to Top of Page

granny purple
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  05:46:27 AM  Show Profile Send granny purple a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's more fun to frog with a friend!
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  05:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jane
Attach a yarn end to your ball winder and let it go.

The only way to go.

Take a picture of it before frogging and keep it in your knitting records.

GFTC of NYC

my knitting photos on Flickr
Go to Top of Page

queenmaxine
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  07:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit queenmaxine's Homepage Send queenmaxine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking the sleeves might be knit vertically from the elbow down with darts for the bell shaping. I can see it in my brain, but could never explain it otherwise. Also, can fit be adjusted by redoing the bands and making them wider?

I am always the first to frog wothout a second thought as I find it very cathartic and therapeutic, so I also agree with the let it rip philosophy.

My blog is not strictly knitting, but there are occasional WIP updates and frustration or bragging rants as I am a new knitter.

www.nolanoni.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  07:18:13 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the sweater has croaked......best to frog and feel liberated. Enjoy your next project and remember all the things you learned with this sorry adventure.

~Debbi~NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  07:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit pqpatch's Homepage Send pqpatch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let er rip!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.