Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 Seeking idea on using 2 colors in shawl
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  1:26:20 PM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my situation: I have 4 skeins of Koigu PPM -- 2 skeins in a solid color and 2 skeins in multi-color.
I'd like to knit a triangle lace shawl without having to buy more yarn.
The pattern I'm thinking about using is the Forest Canopy

Design and color are not my strongest talents. I'd love to hear your suggestions for ways to use these two colors in the shawl.

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  4:00:00 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it were me I would go 3 rows solid, 3 rows multi or 5 rows of ea. Do you have a pic of the Forest Canopy to show?
I just thought of another idea. Divide the sts by 4 and do the outside sts in solid and the inside in multi color.
Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  7:13:40 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen some triangle shawls that you knit from the center out with different colors in the middle portion, and another color on the outer 1/3 or so. You could do that maybe? Then you wouldn't actually have to change colors until you finished the middle part.
If you're using all 4 skeins you could do the center in one skein, knit the next for a wide stripe then start the next skein for a les wide stripe and finish with the last for an even narrower stripe. But I love stripes, so I don't know if thats your style or not.

My Flickr pics
Ravelry: MindyO
Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  3:07:00 PM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for your feedback.
Here's a link to the Forest Canopy pattern.http://knittingasfastasican.com/forest-canopy-shoulder-shawl/

I like the idea of knitting a few rows of one color, then the other.

Another possibility I've toyed with would be to make the middle part of the shawl in the multi color yarn and use the solid color for the edging. It might be nice to work a few rows in solid color across the top edge of the shawl too.

Maybe what I need to do is sketch these ideas in color on paper.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  6:21:25 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After seeing the pic of shawl. I like best the idea of multi colored in center and the edging in the solid. Let us know what you end up doing. Beautiful shawl.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Knitski
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  04:25:25 AM  Show Profile Send Knitski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful shawl !! I am quite tempted myself (like I need another project)

Are you on Ravelry by any chance - here are links to 2 completed shawls in this pattern, 1 in stripes, 1 with solid edging.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/knittingauntie/forest-canopy-shawl-3

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Keppele/forest-canopy-shawl

Good luck....

Robin

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/raggedknitter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23582148@N08/

Enjoy the little things....for someday you will look back and realize they were the big things
Go to Top of Page

NuttyKnitter101
Chatty Knitter

338 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  05:02:04 AM  Show Profile Send NuttyKnitter101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote for alternating the mc and cc through out the shawl...or you could start with one and fade into the next one...if its from the top down cast on with the multi and when you have about 25% left double stranding it with the solid and then just knit until you finish. good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the end of the day, courage isn't always a mighty roaring voice. Sometimes its the quiet whisper, "I will try again tomorrow."

You can't sleep when you want something as bad as I do.
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  09:16:05 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Charlotte's Web? It uses different colors of Koigu, but I forgot how many skeins it uses total.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

watcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
449 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  10:48:02 AM  Show Profile Send watcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5 different colors for Charlotte's Web, I think...but you wouldn't have to use that many if you didn't want to. Does take 5 skeins, though.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  05:39:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
one thing to consider when planning stripes, etc., is weaving or splicing the ends when you changes colors. the narrower your stripes, the more ends you have to deal with.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  08:32:28 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would just carry it up the side if you only had 2/5 rows than change color.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  08:44:02 AM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since you are working with wool, i would just felt-join when you want to change colors.
Go to Top of Page

FiberChef
Chatty Knitter

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  07:56:58 AM  Show Profile Send FiberChef a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Koigu is basically a superwash even though it doesn't say so and spit splicing is marginal at best, in my experience. I like the idea of changing the colors and would transition them a bit like in the Charlotte's WEb. Maybe look over the design and decide on a couple of rows for your transition rows and use them every repeat for some uniformity and smooth transitions. BTW, Forest Canopy only takes 2 skeins of Koigu as written. It expands beautifully, but you might want to think through exactly how big you want this to be. I think 4 full skeins would be pretty big, but then I'm on the short side. Hope to see this when you're done. I'm currently doing Forest Canopy in a semi-solid red for my mom.
Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  4:55:08 PM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the photo links and other suggestions. After all this, I'll default to socks. Koigu socks sounds good to me.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  11:07:19 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Socks aren't such a bad choice. But that shawl is beautiful, too.

PS. I just bought her "On The Vine" Scarf pattern. Lovely stuff!

Pics at Flickr
Zippiknits
The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  7:40:27 PM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more I look at the two colors I have, the less I like them for a shawl.
I have the socks underway.
Go to Top of Page

ruthmel1
New Pal

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  05:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit ruthmel1's Homepage Send ruthmel1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have knitted a FC shawl. Just in one variagated colour, but I reckon one colour for the shawl and a contrast for the edging would look good.
But I see you've decided to knit socks anyway. I love socks!!
My FC only took 2/3 of a ball and my brain has gone blank!! cant remember the name of the yarn i used. DOH!!!

Find me on Etsy at
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5037783
http://soxandcinders.blogspot.com/
find me on Ravelry as Cinders
Go to Top of Page

Woodstocker
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  3:34:40 PM  Show Profile Send Woodstocker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel that the solid should be used on the first two repeats on the short sides of the triangle and the multicolor on the balance.
Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  5:22:39 PM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your suggestions. I finally sketched the scarf using color pencils, which helped me see that I didn't like the two colors together for a shawl.

Frankly, I'm not crazy about them for socks either, but they're OK. The raspberry pink solid color Koigu seems a bit too contrasty with the rainbow handpainted yarn, which has some deep pink shades. To my eyes, a green or gold or even a golden ivory would have complimented the handpainted much better.

I bought these 4 skeins while on vacation, with no particular pattern in mind.
So it's another lesson in the perils of impulse yarn buying. OTOH, I'm enjoying knitting the rainbow socks. The colors are swirling around the cuff in a subtle barber-pole pattern -- perfect for wearing on a gray day to brighten up my attitude.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe