Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 sew live stitches to purl bumps?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Renocat
Permanent Resident

1327 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  1:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Renocat's Homepage Send Renocat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i am working on the Estes Vest from the current IK issue. I have picked up stitches and made a pocket edging. The directions say to sew the live stitches to the purl bumps made bu picking up the stitches. How do i sew live stitches to the purl bumps? Do I break the yarn and use that to sew the live stitches there?

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Kim
I have a blog! Kim Knits

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  6:57:14 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After you sew the live stitches to the purl bumps what do you do? If you pick up stitches, knit an edging and then sew the live stitches to the purl bumps, you are folding over your knitting and making a cuff or hem, do you then knit down to make the inside of the pocket?

If the answer is no, just break your yarn, leaving a length to use for the sewing. Sewing the live stitches down will leave a very flat finish, while binding off and then sewing them down will leave a ridge.

If the answer is yes and you then knit the inside of the pocket, just hold your live stitches close to the purl bumps and knit together a live stitch and a purl bump across the bottom of the edging. That will leave you with a closed edging or hem and also stitches to use to knit the inside of the pocket.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.