Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 2 socks on 2 needles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

stash
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  4:35:40 PM  Show Profile Send stash a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have mastered 1 sock at a time on two needles and really like the concept. Thought I would stretch my knitting knowledge and try 2 at a time. I have literally spent hours and have finally gotten two on two needles. Those of you who have mastered this - is it worth the time and trouble. In those hours I spent I could have had one sock pretty much done. I used info I found on the web, but found I did a little better using my own sense. Where are there good instructions?

Thanks for your input.

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  7:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I have second sock syndrome so it is definitely worth knitting two socks at once (whether on two needles or Magic Loop with one long circular needle).

I have heard good things about Melissa Morgan Oakes' book. Maybe you could borrow it from the local library to see if you like it?
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  8:14:10 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It took me forever and a day to figure out how to knit 2 socks at once on 2 circs but the thing that helped me most, (being a visual knitter) was buying a DVD which showed exactly how it's done, including casting on. Had it not been for 'seeing it done', I may still have been trying to figure things out........sad but true.

Knit On, Patience

P.S. Yes, it's definitely worth it because once you learn, you'll be just as quick as you are with one circ, but the big bonus will be that once you take them off the needles, you have a pair of socks to put right on your tootsies.

Crochet Me A River

Faith, Hope, Charity & Yarn Snippets

Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  8:48:16 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely the best thing EVER in sock knitting! IMO anyway... For some reason for me it seems way faster knitting them both at the same time, and I too suffer SSS (second sock syndrome) I use Magic Loop rather than two on two, but I've done both and frankly either way I can do two at once is well worth the struggle it was learning.

Ravelry: MindyO
My Flickr pics
My Facebook
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  05:23:30 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me, too, even though I spend a lot of time untwisting the balls of yarn. But it's worth not having to do the second sock. Besides, if you make a mistake on one, you can immediately repeat it on the second = a creative innovation.

New blog, not about knitting, but I bet it keeps sneaking in: http://greenbananascancerblog.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  08:09:02 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never could get the hang of it so I do 2 socks 4 needles. I knit so much on one then move to the other. They are finished up pretty much at the same time.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1460 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  10:20:38 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have knit some (6) pairs doing 2on2. I do not like it nearly as much as 1on2. I do not have single sock syndrom. I enjoy making the 2nd sock. So I prefer 1 on 2 so that I can see the length of the sock grow twice as rapidly as when I knit 2on2. I knit the same # of sts either way and after a while I got so that I did not tangle the 2 balls of yarn, nor did I keep going with one yarn across both socks. When I'm knitting socks, even with a pattern, I find the work so mindless that I want to see the progress fast. Yes, it takes the same amount of time but, because there are 2 socks knit at the same time, 1 row of 2on2 has twice the number of sts as 1 row of 1on2, the visual progress (length of the work on the needles is faster with 1on2.
Go to Top of Page

ellensatch@msn.com
Chatty Knitter

256 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  6:15:49 PM  Show Profile Send ellensatch@msn.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm about halfway done with my first pair of sox on one long circ. I'm using Melissa Morgan Oakes book and so far I'm very happy with it.
I've done Magic Loop and 4 needle sox but I like this the best, FWIW.
Ellen
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  05:08:41 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit all my socksl now using magic loop. I have to confess that I like both my socks done at the same time and being the same size. Often if I put my work down for a week or two as I more to other projects (oh come on, we all work on multiple projects right?)and then go back to the sock my gauge might be a bit different. I do like working with double pointed needles, but not for socks anymore. I've lost a bucket load of them making socks.

~Debbi~NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

stash
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  06:37:23 AM  Show Profile Send stash a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to everyone for their imput. I have put in a request for the Melissa Morgan Oakes book from my local library. Meanwhile, I realized I could not work on my socks anywhere but at home where I kept the two balls of yarn and both socks on two needles in a drawer of the table where I knit. This is serious as my socks were something I could always take to knit anywhere. So I took them off the 2 needles, put them on four circular needles and continued to knit a bit on each and before you know it they will both be done. I was knitting some mittens and also doing them on 2 circulars and was running out of needles. Hence my thoughts of doing 2 socks on 2 needles and thereby freeing up some needles.

Go to Top of Page

lynnbeggs@aol.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  04:08:02 AM  Show Profile Send lynnbeggs@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was fortunate enough to take the two at a time sock class with Melissa Morgan Oaks and yes it is well worth the effort to do them that way. It took me a little time to get the gusset right but once I did it the rest was a piece of cake.
The advantage for me was now I do not have to measure everthing, they are worked together and come out even, I just try them on as I go.
I highly recommend getting her book and making them. The book gives very specific and clear instructions for the socks. Start with the baby socks and that gives you your comfort level.
I did try doing an intarsia design on them, and that was a challenge I do not think I will try again, too many strands of yarn to deal with.
Good Luck
Carolyn Beggs
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
58 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  04:24:17 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really love doing two at once with "magic loop". I saw a review of the book by Melissa Oakes but couldn't wait to lay my hands on the book (besides, I already have too many books), so I googled "socks on circular needles", learnt how Magic Loop works, knitted a cellphone bag for practice, and then launched into a pair of socks. I had to work out for myself how to do the heels, but I've knitted lots of socks before so I understand the structure. Now I'm making my own hand-dyed sock "blanks" by knitting two strands of white sock-wool together on a knitting-machine, painting dye on & fixing it, and then knitting two matching socks simultaneously. Magic! Have fun!
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  05:30:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also voting for 2 at once on ML and the Melissa Morgan-Oakes method! my next challenge is to adapt this approach for toe up.

Haven't a clue about using 2 circs since I could never see the sense in buying duplicate needles for the same project.

Sockjoan: the way to do the heels when working 2 at once on ML is the primary advantage of the Morgan-Oakes method and the original ML instructions in the booklet from Fiber Trends and many of the online discussions is just weird when it comes to the heel.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

BooksAngel
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  05:40:29 AM  Show Profile Send BooksAngel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I explain that when I started knitting 2 socks on two circular needles several years ago I had 4 pairs of socks on double pointed needles, yes 32 needles getting lost in the couch or falling to the floor to trip on.

That first pair of socks on circulars took forever. But both were finished at once. The second pair did not take near as long but the plain feet knit on and on for several days.

Then I discovered the true joy of knitting both at once. Patterns!!

When any patterning is including in the sock all decissions are made for both socks at the same time. And!! any new skill is learned faster as each row is immediately repeated to fasten it in your memory. That has been the real joy for me, instant replay.

Someone mentioned that tension can vary between socks if they are knitted at different times. By working out stress on two socks, the stress marked rows number less on each sock and therefore less a factor to future comfort.

I gave my double pointed needles away years ago and now happily collect circular needles in all the smallest sizes.

I am not sure why you are having trouble carrying around the socks on cirsc. Just lay the balls of yarn on a tea towel. Put the knitting on top of the yarn with the needles tucked between the yarn balls and knitting. Fold the tea towel into a neat package to fit into your purse or backpack and off you go.

Now that you have put in the longer time to learn the skill use it when you want and ignore it when you don't want. But it would be a shame to have gone to that trouble and not use it when it would be a help.

And yes, I to think color work is no fun two at a time. After knitting a few pairs someone told me to flip the socks the other way, so.... If I do it again I am going to knit the socks inside out until the color work is finished. That should make it easier to use many small balls, keep floats a good size and not pull the area at the needles' meetings too tight.

Now I will go back to lurking.

Angel

Go to Top of Page

Mirl56
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  06:27:55 AM  Show Profile Send Mirl56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoy 2 on 2 the most.

These two tuts helped me learn:
http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html
http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

MyaLMG
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  06:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit MyaLMG's Homepage Send MyaLMG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learning this technique is definately worth the time! I was so happy when I finished my first pair to know I was DONE with both of them. Not like the previous times when I would struggle through a complicated sock pattern only to realize that I was only half way through when I bound off the first sock. The two at a time method certainly takes some getting used to but Melissa's book is great and with the help of at class at my LYS I was cooking in no time.
Go to Top of Page

MelissaKnits
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  07:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit MelissaKnits's Homepage Send MelissaKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lynnbeggs@aol.com

I was fortunate enough to take the two at a time sock class with Melissa Morgan Oaks and yes it is well worth the effort to do them that way.

Thank you Carolyn!! I am glad the class was worth it for you! I wish I could go everywhere and teach everyone in person!
Go to Top of Page

Firecat
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  09:01:57 AM  Show Profile Send Firecat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first time I tried two socks on two circs (using a Knitpicks toe up pattern) I found it very difficult. The second time it was easier, perhaps partly because I used a top-down pattern, but partly because I had finally gotten the hang of keeping track of which bit to do next.

I'm really bad at counting my rows because I like to watch TV while I knit. I've discovered that if I do one sock at a time, I invariably end up having to partially frog second sock to fix sizing problems. So I end up knitting 2 1/2 socks.

Doing two socks at once does take longer than knitting one sock at a time, because of the yarn management, but it doesn't take longer than knitting 2 1/2 socks.

If I were better at counting I would probably stick to one at a time.

Oh, and I find getting the yarn onto the needles is definitely the trickiest part.
Go to Top of Page

ljshee
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  09:08:02 AM  Show Profile Send ljshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being a fairly new knitter(5 years) and knowing I would have a hard time knitting the second sock after completing the first, I learned to knit socks on two circular needles and loved the fact I had a completed project! It is a little scary at the begining but well worth the effort,especially for gift giving. I got really brave and took a class on how to knit two socks at a time using one circular needle using the magic loop method! It was a little easier to learn than the two needle method,especially when it comes to turning the heels and instep pick up.
My opinion is ..go for it!
Go to Top of Page

Gabbie
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  09:36:00 AM  Show Profile Send Gabbie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I learned to knit 2 socks at a time with Queen Kahuna's 'Crazy Toes & Heels' book. I have arthritis in my fingers and cannot handle dpn's so 2 circs is the way to go for me. Plus..I get both socks done at the same time and they're ready to wear!!

I love this method so much that it's the only way I've knit my many socks so far. Right now I'm making my BFF her second pair, have Lots for me and a 2nd pair OTN for my Sis. I've made many for gifts, too.

If I had to make one sock at a time...I think I'd give up knitting!!

Hope this persuades you...it IS worth the time!!

Happy knitting, Lauren in W MI
Go to Top of Page

LidaLou
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  09:54:42 AM  Show Profile Send LidaLou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also a big fan of 2 socks at once, especially if there's only one skein of sock yarn. I'm pulling from the outside for one sock and the center for the other. A VERY helpful hint from my LYS--put the skein in a sandwich size baggie and cut little holes at the two bottom corners to feel the yarn. This has saved me so much time!
Before I started two at once, I was going to give up sock knitting since I hate counting rows and the two socks were never quite the same size. (DH wears them anyway.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?