Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How many USOs do you have?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1858 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  08:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
USO=UnStarted Objects

Mine have yarn and pattern packaged together, some even with the needles that will be used for them. Currently, mine include:

1 small drawstring bag
3 pairs of socks
2 Moebius scarves (one lace, one not)
1 cat bed

This does not include UFOs, which actually have something on the needles.

I'm feeling a little itchy, having all these projects I want to do, but not the time (yet) to start them.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  08:25:21 AM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't have any actually packaged WITH the patterns and everything, but I definitely have a very large queue of things to start when I finish the few I'm doing now. Have all the yarn and patters and everything, just not neatly packaged. That would give me too much anxiety, I tend to shut down when there's too much looming over me

*I have several (abt. 15) sock patterns and the yarn to knit them
*DD's winter hat, mitts and scarf
*Fingerless mitts for me, two different patterns and yarn for them.
*I also have yarn and patterns for a couple wider lace scarves I want to make that can double as wraps if I get cold at work
*A baby hat and mitts for a girl

Ravelry: MindyO
My Flickr pics
My Facebook
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  09:04:49 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I try not to get too far ahead of myself because I'm just struggling with the desire to finish two large projects- a lacy shawl and an Aran sweater - while I start little ones regularly. But, there are these small one that will get in the way first.

OTN: two pair of short fingered gloves

USOs:

Five catnip mice
Three toy bats
Six to ten various hats or tams,
An amulet bag for my nano
A large felted tote from Pursonalities book
At least a dozen lace shawls. At least a dozen.

Pics at Flickr
Zippiknits
The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  09:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm more impulsive with my knitting. I don't have ANY USOs except socks. I knit what I want to knit when I want to knit it and don't plan too far ahead. I actually find I get more done this way in the long run. I have yarn for a sweater for me but until I find the right pattern it's just yarn and could easily be used for something else if the spirit moves me.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  3:38:22 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a few, and mostly the project is not fully defined. I bought some yarns for mittens (because winter is coming) and I'm still trying to figure out how to do a serpinski triangle (though I think it might work better crocheted than knitted -- fractals seem to be like that.) For that, though, I'm just going to play with a hook and leftovers for a while. Oh, yea, and DH's mittens. I'd bought a LOT of yarn for a scarf, he didn't want me to take all winter, so it became a neckwarmer, so I"ve got plenty of matching yarn for hat & mittens. But no pattern/design yet.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1858 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  4:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yikes, I forgot about the mittens I have, too! Two pairs, actually. Gotta finish up some of these socks!

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  4:21:12 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a hat, a scarf, part of a coaster set. (two completed but another 6 to go)
I also have a teddy bear.
Why does it seem it that no matter how much I accomplish with finishing projects, I never get to the end of the tunnel? (Not that I really want to..because I enjoy knitting and it is a favorite hobby of mine)
Karen
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  5:43:37 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think my entire stash could be called USO's. I tell myself that I'm gearing up for retirement.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  03:57:23 AM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like your thinking Jan.
My problem is retirement will be in 24.6 YEARS (at least for me).
So is this a deal - where pratice makes prefect?
I am sure my USOs will increase in a matter of three weeks. I say that because I will be going to Stitches East where I know I will be tempted with sock yarn, cotton, soy, wool, corn, and who knows what other goodies.
Karen
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  05:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a huge stash and million ideas but I am very careful not to call any of those USO's, after all I can still change my mind.... On the whole currently I have 3 WIPs and no UFO's and I feel very happy with that. UFO's whenever they happen make me feel so guilty.... For the not so named USO's, to give an impression I have a queue at Ravelry of 49 and I keep telling myself it is not so bad since there are so many socks in my queue (Uhmmmm)(and then I am not counting the things in my head)

Marjolein

ps. For the majority of items in my queue I do NOT have the yarn... there is still hope

my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
www.ravelry.com/projects/marjotse
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  05:58:45 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote

a market bag for a Christmas present
a scarf for husbeast
a pair of socks for me
Go to Top of Page

amosellie
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  11:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit amosellie's Homepage Send amosellie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a hard one for me to answer for two reasons.

1) I have WAY too many!!!
2) When I buy yarn and a pattern for a project, by the time I think of that yarn again, I see another project to use it for. I just keep changing my mind!! This is not all bad, it gives me time to play with my yarn and dream of new things!

If only I had more time......

Amosellie
www.antiqueclocksandysprings.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingrunner
Seriously Hooked

USA
820 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  12:10:17 PM  Show Profile Send knittingrunner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh My!
I'm glad some folks have posted about how stashes don't really count as USO since they are not designated to a particular project quite yet.
I guess I've got lots of catnip mice USOs, 2 sweaters, and countless sox!
Go to Top of Page

2totangle
Permanent Resident

1212 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  3:16:54 PM  Show Profile Send 2totangle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a whole section of a notebook called "On Deck," which includes any pattern for which I have yarn. I'm a sale buyer, and that's my excuse for having accumulated yarn for 4 sweaters, 2 bags, 1 pair of socks, a lace shawl, a throw, a skirt, a doll, a pair of mittens, 2 pairs of baby booties, and a hat. This doesn't even count the odds and ends of yarn in my stash that could be made into bags, scarves, toys, hats, etc., or the patterns I think about designing. The bulk of my stash is for USOs, which somehow made me feel better about it up 'til now. Having confessed to all this, I'm going to go eat some chocolate.

Suzanne

A few pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  3:19:33 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not nearly as organized as Ceil. My UFO's certainly outnumber my USO's at the moment. Many of my UF0's are for Christmas, actually, so are my USO's. THe USO's include socks, felted mittens, chemo cap, and shower soap holders.
judy
Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2008 :  06:12:48 AM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ugh...too many. I just wrote up a list of projects I want to work on. Some for holiday gifts, and some are decorations. I must have over 20 things on the list!

sparkleplenty
Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/people/sparkleplenty
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparkle-plenty/

-------------------
If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  7:16:53 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Things come and go from my USO list. I get really enthusiastic about making one thing and hve the yarn for it. Then I get shanghaid by another project and the yarn gets repurposed. I also have a ton of UFOs.

Did I mention that I have a short attention span?

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen-NYC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  08:36:33 AM  Show Profile Send Kathleen-NYC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have yarn for about 8 pairs of socks that I had hoped to make for Christmas gifts. I haven't even wound the yarn into balls yet!
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  09:16:15 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really didn't need to see this! I have a HUGE stash, many project bags with pattern and yarn - I keep the needles in their proper place, might need them if something else catches my eye. Four bags are for CookieA socks, plus three or four that haven't been committed, 17 skeins of Avanti which will probably be for Elsebeth Lavold's Brage (but I haven't charted that yet), scads of Mountain Colors just because it's so pretty. One is for Lady Eleanor (about 8" done), another for a lovely Rowan cardi from years ago originally in Kidsilk Haze (do they still make that?), and the list goes on. Now my LYSO has just notified me the yarn for that gorgeous shawl in Handknit Holidays should ship in a few more days.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  12:17:56 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My head is always full of ideas re future projects - like most knitters, I suppose, but there are only 24 hours in each day! At the moment I have one large USO ,a sweater for myself,and although the yarn is ready and waiting, so to speak, I still need to decide on which pattern I want to use.

Leslie

My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
Go to Top of Page

Pampered Punkin
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  9:08:04 PM  Show Profile Send Pampered Punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
geesh...too many to count.

**Trisha**

I will walk by faith, even when I cannot see.

http://knitsterchick.blogspot.com/
http://www.myspace.com/knitsterchick
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by