Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Needles in airplanes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mitch3880
New Pal

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  08:00:08 AM  Show Profile Send Mitch3880 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi! everyone,
Best to place your knitting needles and crochet hooks in your checked-in luggage. It happened to me twice, while going thru the USA en route to South America. They were confiscated even though my needles were made of plastic.
Good knitting!

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2075 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  9:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

This is obviously your experience. However, I disagree, respectively disagree.

I just flew from Philly to NC & had 3 projects w/me (you know how your eyes are bigger than your tummy sometimes? I am that way w/ knitting & books.)

A woman came over to me in the Philly airport to remark upon my knitting & said she had packed her knitting in her checked-in bags, thinking it would not be OK.

I would encourage you to look at the government web site for what is allowed or not allowed. You can print it to show to anyone who wants to take the knitting needles.

My luck/fortine was A-OK in two airports.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2606 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  2:29:22 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I fly all the time (US Domestic only), in and out of high-profile airports including those in DC and NYC, and I have never (within the last 4 years or so) had any problems with needles of any size or material. Scissors, yes, but needles, no. Non-US airports are an entirely different story - I wouldn't even try it.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  3:18:58 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The OP was flying to South America, and yes, the rules for International flights can be far different than those for Domestic flights. Last year we flew to Argentina on LAN Air. They specically state on their site that knitting needles are NOT allowed. However, I did see a woman at the gate knitting after we went through security in NYC, so I knew that they were not really paying attention to that. So, on the way home, I decided to carry my project instead of packing it. We had to tranfer planes in Chili and they were actually doing spot checks right at the gate for "sharp objects" - fortunately they did not ask me as I would have had to give up my project!

Please support my walk for Breast Cancer - Seattle 3-Day Walk September 12-14
http://www.the3day.org/goto/knottyknitter

http://www.virtualknitter.com
My NEW blog
Go to Top of Page

LadyLiberty
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  10:00:21 PM  Show Profile Send LadyLiberty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if they are wooden needles that you can take off the project and essentially will look like pencils in x-ray?

Also anyone know what they would do with this?

http://www.woolworks.com/Shop/Yarn-Cutter-Pendant?q=yarn+cutter&x=0&y=0&match=all&min=&max=

This is a yarn cutter it looks like a pendant. Would they even know what this was?
Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  11:07:40 PM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it's a domestic flight, or an international fight on a US carrier originating in the US, they'll do exactly the same thing they'll do if you carry on tiny, ultra-pointy steel sock needles.

Absolutely nothing. They're allowed items.

On a flight (or any leg thereof) that originates internationally, what would happen depends on the country. In some countries knitting/crochet implements are allowed (e.g. Canada) in some totally forbidden (e.g. Australia) in many it seems like it's next to impossible to find out (e.g. Poland. Still don't know if my size 5 bamboo DPNs were allowed, but no one took them away from me.)

Circular pendant cutters are explicitly forbidden as carry-ons by the TSA. Like any other non-allowed item, whether they will actually find it and take it away is a crapshoot:

"Most of the items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside. These items cannot be taken through a security checkpoint. They must go in your checked baggage."

(http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm)

I generally carry on nail clippers, which are permitted, cut yarn nicely, and can also trim annoying hangnails.
Go to Top of Page

LadyLiberty
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  11:35:21 PM  Show Profile Send LadyLiberty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bethany

If it's a domestic flight, or an international fight on a US carrier originating in the US, they'll do exactly the same thing they'll do if you carry on tiny, ultra-pointy steel sock needles.

On a flight (or any leg thereof) that originates internationally, what would happen depends on the country. In some countries knitting/crochet implements are allowed (e.g. Canada) in some totally forbidden (e.g. Australia) in many it seems like it's next to impossible to find out (e.g. Poland. Still don't know if my size 5 bamboo DPNs were allowed, but no one took them away from me.)

Circular pendant cutters are explicitly forbidden as carry-ons by the TSA. Like any other non-allowed item, whether they will actually find it and take it away is a crapshoot:

"Most of the items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside. These items cannot be taken through a security checkpoint. They must go in your checked baggage."

I generally carry on nail clippers, which are permitted, cut yarn nicely, and can also trim annoying hangnails.

wow. They know about those, eh? I thought they were rather obscure. There's no way they could hurt anyone, I don't think... Ok, i'll get some nail clippers. Sheesh, we have beome so paranoid!
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  03:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For cutting yarn on planes I use an old pair of nail cutters. If I'm knitting socks or lace though I just break the yarn. I do that even when I have scissors available.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Signature? Who needs a signature?
Go to Top of Page

creeko
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  10:36:46 AM  Show Profile Send creeko a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My mom uses a floss container to cut yarn and thread. Nail clippers would work too!
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  6:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bethany

In Australia you are allowed pendant cutters, bamboo, timber or plastic crochet hooks. Nothing with a point is allowed which is why all knitting needles are banned.

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157612251840708/show/ FO 2009
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

sribas@dgmnet.com.br
New Pal

Brazil
4 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  06:20:46 AM  Show Profile Send sribas@dgmnet.com.br a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everybody,
If someone is coming to Brazil DON'T carry your crochet hooks or knitting needles in your carry-on bags, they don't permit it.I had one crochet hook confiscated allready. If you are coming back to the same airport they keep it for you and you can get it back when you return, otherwise you loose your needles.
Go to Top of Page

lavenderandpurl
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  07:03:56 AM  Show Profile Send lavenderandpurl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It may also depend on the airlines. We've had a lot of differences in weight limits between domestic and international airlines, even on the same itinerary to the same destination. As with weight limits, you might have to check the security regulations for each airline you're using. I'm sorry that they took your needles away! How disappointing!
Go to Top of Page

cranky hanako
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  10:09:22 AM  Show Profile Send cranky hanako a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just took North West Air Line traveling within the US. I wanted to knit in the plane, so I asked a lady at the counter if I could do so. She said that there is no problem. So, I took a whole sets of needles and crochet into th e plane. I had a great time not worrying about if I was allowed to carry them in or not!
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  02:19:31 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wen, my mom had her crochet hook confiscated and disposed by the 'ever helpful' Qantas staff. That was before 911.
Go to Top of Page

deedee57
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  11:25:13 AM  Show Profile Send deedee57 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
JetBlue and Delta allow knitting needles. On my last trip, two projects -- Denise's knitting needles.
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  11:33:00 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never had a problem with knitting needles on a plane, but last trip they confiscated two jars of my sister-in-law's incredible apricot jam. Afraid of glass? Afraid that I'd mix the apricot jam with the 3-oz tube of toothpaste and make a bomb? It's a sad world we live in.

New blog, not about knitting, but I bet it keeps sneaking in: http://greenbananascancerblog.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Patti Jean
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  6:49:53 PM  Show Profile Send Patti Jean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We just returned from a vacation out west in which we flew from Columbus, OH to Salt Lake City,UT and then flew from Denver international back to Columbus. I carried my knitpicks options w/ mot problem. We were on Northwest/Delta. Ironically, on one of the flights, my son got one of the snack packs they sell. One of the items was a little Tube of hummus. The instructions to open had a picure of a pair of scissors. I think someone did not think about that one.

Pat
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  8:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mocha

Wen, my mom had her crochet hook confiscated and disposed by the 'ever helpful' Qantas staff. That was before 911.

The information I had was from a flight a friend took to NZ in 2008, she checked the law (in both countries before travelling) and was told a bamboo hook was fine as it did not have a point.

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157612251840708/show/ FO 2009
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Laxmom4x
Gabber Extraordinaire

527 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  03:15:13 AM  Show Profile Send Laxmom4x a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just flew to and from FL with only carry-on, and brought my knitting. Even though I know TSA would allow needles I brought a duplicate wood circular, and some cheap yarn. I had heard it really depended on the whim of the person checking you through whether it would be okay or not. I had no problems. Neither did the woman across from me with size 10 metal needles. And yes, my nail clipper worked just fine for cutting.

Janet
"Change is inevitable except from a vending machine"
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  1:48:02 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Within the past two weeks I've flown out of Toronto, Seattle and Edmonton. My bag full of circular needles was no problem but mu husband's manicure set was confiscated.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

maidenengland
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  03:16:22 AM  Show Profile Send maidenengland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Europe, well to and from the UK, all knitting needles must be in the hold baggage. Quote:
In addition to the list of dangerous items prohibited for carriage in baggage, the UK Department of Transport, Local Government and Regions (DTLR) has prohibited the following articles from being carried onboard as cabin baggage:

Toy or replica guns (plastic or metal), catapults, household cutlery, knives with blades of any length, paper knives, razor blades, tradesmenís tools, darts, scissors, tweezers, hypodermic syringes (unless a genuine medical need can be proven), knitting needles, sporting bats, billiard, snooker or pool cues.

This makes me very grumpy! They allow you to take duty free bottles on board, so anyone who wanted could just bash two bottles together and, bang, two instant weapons.

My nail clippers were taken off me on one flight, but they relented and only cut off the nail file extension, so I still have the working bit.

Carol

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.