Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Dirty Little Knitting Secrets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

jdboysmom
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  07:43:04 AM  Show Profile Send jdboysmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few days ago I wore my handknit socks to work, as I often do. I wear them with clogs so I can kick my shoes off to quickly show off my handknits and sing their praises. I love knitting socks - turning the heal and closing the toe makes me feel so smart and accomplished. But I realized I was unconsciously casting a longing look at those store bought socks with the lycra that hug my leg and feet. I realized I was keeping a secret from myself. The store bought socks really are more comfortable to me. So - we're all friends here. Does anyone else out there have a "dirty little secret" about their knitting that they would hesitate to express at knitting night at the yarn store? No judgments - just a chance to unload that comment and heave a big sigh of relief!

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  08:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I do have to say that I do not love some of the handknit socks I have made. In fact I wore one pair the other day and am seriously considering getting rid of them.

I guess the other thing I might hesitate to admit at knit night -- I don't much admire any of the felted items I've seen.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  11:29:18 AM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate knitting for others. I do it all the time because people ask for stuff so I have to say yes because I'm "nice" and can't say no. But I wish I could spend all my knitting time on me and only me, and occassionally DD.
My other secret is everyone who sees me knitting always has to comment and its uaully praise about what a great knitter I am, but I think I suck. So what if I can follow a pattern and make minimal mistakes, it's not that great!

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  11:37:08 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MindyO, will you make an Aran Sweater for my DH? *wink wink*

Dirty little secrets: I just bought more yarn but it came out of my mad money. Shhhh!

Pics at Flickr
Zippiknits
The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Go to Top of Page

cozystitches
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  12:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit cozystitches's Homepage Send cozystitches a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dirty little secret:

I too like my store bought socks, but also love my hand knit ones. However, not all of them. Unfortunately, as much as I love Cookie A's Monkey socks, they do not work for me. I gave away ALL of the ones I made for myself...sob. Now I have a pitiful amount of socks for me (and 2 OTN).
Another secret: I semi felted a pair of socks someone gifted to me which made them too small for my feet. I gave them to another friend (after explaining what had happened)...she loves them now...

Sigh...

Other wise: I knit for me and only grudgingly knit for others....

tammy

Tammy my Blog http://cozystitches.wordpress.com/
http://www.cozystitches.com
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  3:18:25 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My DLS's...

I bought a kit for, well, over $50, for a felted bag. It felted stupid. It pulls in at the top, and flares out at the bottom. The handles didn't felt much at all! All that yarn, all that time, and it's hidden at the botton of my wardrobe. Some day, when no one else is home, it's going in the trash.

I make all my dishcloths out of Peaches & Cream, not with the more expensive stuff from the LYS.

On knitting night at the LYS, most of the people there are beginners, or advanced beginners. They think I'm the knitting queen because I'm always helping fix mistakes or teaching new techniques. I'm really just an intermediate knitter, but have to admit that the admiration feels good, even if I know it's under false pretenses.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  4:47:22 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jan...leave it in the bottom of your wardrobe...eventually the moths will get it. That's what happened to mine!

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...To much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

kaidyd
Chatty Knitter

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  6:12:06 PM  Show Profile Send kaidyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jan-- Toss it in your car to hold stuff in your trunk or line it with a plastic bag and hang it over the headrest to use as a trash "can".
Go to Top of Page

suzannevh
Gabber Extraordinaire

565 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  6:40:10 PM  Show Profile Send suzannevh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Dirty Little Secret-

I'm more of a yarn and pattern collector than a knitter. I'll be obsessed with a project until I've acquired the yarn and pattern but that obsession often fades before I've even cast on.

Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  7:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My DLS-

I knit continental, and am so sick of hearing how fast I knit, and people staring at me at the LYS. I want to get smart, knit English and say "See? I can go as slowly as you!"

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  8:44:41 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lella

MindyO, will you make an Aran Sweater for my DH? *wink wink*

Dirty little secrets: I just bought more yarn but it came out of my mad money. Shhhh!

Pics at Flickr
Zippiknits
The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Smarta$$ lol
quote:
Originally posted by suzannevh

My Dirty Little Secret-

I'm more of a yarn and pattern collector than a knitter. I'll be obsessed with a project until I've acquired the yarn and pattern but that obsession often fades before I've even cast on.

Maybe I should add that to my list too... either that or my eyes are bigger than my stomach so to speak. I have a queue of probably 50 projects, patterns and yarn for all, but I only finish a few things a year. I will never finish.

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  12:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also prefer store-bought socks, but that's mostly because the only time I really wear socks is to go running and I don't want to use my "good" socks for that.

I'm not a big fan of lace knitting. I think it's beautiful, but I've never been able to stick with a lace project long enough to finish anything. I really prefer mindless stockinette or garter stitch.

Gone Crazy, Back Soon
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

eepster
Seriously Hooked

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  12:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit eepster's Homepage Send eepster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer the spinning and the designing to the actual knitting. The knitting really is just something I have to go through to show off my lovely handspuns and/or clever designs.

{o,o}
./)_)
.." "
Jen
http://www.buddhabellyart.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/buddhabellyart
http://www.cafepress.com/4theloveofyarn
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  06:37:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DLSs:

I'm an LYSO and prefer Peaches & Creme cotton to the more expensive cottons; also love the Country Cabled Cotton from the same source.

I don't believe high price = high quality, not even when it comes to yarn; quality will vary.

Can't stand Lamb's Pride and everyone else seems to rave about how great it is (didn't sell at my shop until I marked it on clearance at below wholesale so maybe I'm really not the only one).

Except for felted clog slippers, I just "don't get" the whole felting thing. have secretly wondered if it is popular because a lot of people are lazy and the felting destroys evidence of mistakes and unevenness in stitches.

-- Thanks for a chance to unburden myself!

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  09:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My knitting secret...not wild about knitting socks.

I like knitting socks that are thicker, but I find that thinner needles are too much for my tendonitis.

PAM

WIP = Patons Cabled Yoke Pullover (knit), Shadow Jacket (crochet), Strip for charity afghan (knit)

Done this year = Scrap Scarf (knit), Gloves (knit), Mittens (knit), Afghan (crochet), Pinwheel Afghan (crochet), Knit Your Bit Scarf for the WWII Museum (knit - charity), Scrap Sweater (knit), House Socks (knit), Easy Playtime Set (knit), Aran Stitch Afghan (crochet), hat (knit), One-Stitch Cardigan (knit), Peppermint Stick Afghan (crochet)

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  09:58:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My DLS.....I can't knit from patterns....I might start, but then I tweak them beyond recognition. But if I knit from my own pattern, I get something I might actually wear....

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  5:34:36 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillstreetmama

My DLS's...

I make all my dishcloths out of Peaches & Cream, not with the more expensive stuff from the LYS.

On knitting night at the LYS, most of the people there are beginners, or advanced beginners. They think I'm the knitting queen because I'm always helping fix mistakes or teaching new techniques. I'm really just an intermediate knitter, but have to admit that the admiration feels good, even if I know it's under false pretenses.

Why would you use expensive yarns for dishcloths you intend to use? And if you don't intend to use them, they're not dishcloths, they're samplers.

"The woods would be silent if only the best bird sang"

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

JoanH
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  9:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoanH's Homepage Send JoanH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad to hear that I'm not alone. I don't like socks knit with fine yarn with tiny needles and I'm allergic to the nylon in most sock yarns. I do knit dk and worsted weight socks but I'm not addicted to sock knitting. My favorite store bought socks are Wigwam socks. I don't think fine socks are that warm and it takes me forever to knit a pair. I'm glad I'm not the only odd duck out there!
Go to Top of Page

Cecioboe
Seriously Hooked

USA
824 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  10:35:31 PM  Show Profile Send Cecioboe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the process of knitting sweaters more than the results.... I prefer the look of very fine yarns over worsted or even DK. I do love to knit AND wear socks, tho.

Ceci

Aw, gee, c'mon and see: http://knittinreed.blogspot.com

Cecioboe on Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  11:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit that I haven't knitted in a really long time... since like.. March.. and it kills me but I haven't done anything about it. It's like "I wish I wanted to knit.. I want to want to.."

Also I knitted what I consider to be a beautiful sweater.. and I would LOVE to wear it.. I obsessed over the pattern for about a year before I could even knit it.. Why can't I wear it? Because it's still in pieces! I can't bring myself to sew them up! And they've been done since January 2007!!!

*Phew* I think I feel a little better now..

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Travelling Cables Cardigan KAL
Go to Top of Page

Yarnmonsta
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  11:47:25 PM  Show Profile Send Yarnmonsta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHAT A RELIEF!!!
I totally love almost all the socks I see in magazines and on Web sites all over the place. They are gloriously beautiful, but I just do not want to make socks -- and the replies I've seen here are a huge relief. And there are always wonderful fluffy socks on sale at Nordstrom's...

I use Peaches and Cream, too, but only for kitchen and bathroom things (it does make fabulous bathmats). Everyone I know has hand knitted washcloths I've given them, some of them P&C, but I find that the LYS cotton yarns make much more beautiful and durable ones and the stitches look much clearer.

Does this make me a yarn snob?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.