Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Sometimes you win one
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  09:23:06 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just thought I'd mention it. I finished my very first pair of mittens, for my daughter (who didn't like the socks I made her) on the same day as the first snow of the season. (So she's wearing them to school with the ends still dangling.)

That's good for a few mommy points, isn't it?

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  09:34:59 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
with the ends still dangling....hahaha! too funny

Sure you get mommy points for that

I finished a halloween scarf and didn't have time to weave the ends in so I wore it to bowling with them hanging out

At least everyone knew I made it

I got candy for mine

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Go to Top of Page

2totangle
Permanent Resident

1212 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  10:17:26 AM  Show Profile Send 2totangle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's the kind of thing your daughter may remember forever. Congrats, and good luck getting them back to weave in ends!

Suzanne

A few pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  1:15:27 PM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Serious Good Mommie Points! Nicely done!

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  11:40:30 PM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does it mean she likes them so much that she wear them with ends sticking out?
Congratulations! Great job!
Go to Top of Page

jen6265
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  05:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit jen6265's Homepage Send jen6265 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, the strings can be tied to the sleeve of the coat to make sure they don't get lost! That's what I tell people anyways.

Jen6265.etsy.com
jen@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  07:57:29 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today, I take them back. She didn't mind the end, but it was my first thumb join (against a provisional cast-on) and I'm hoping from her description that there's enough left to sew back on. I DID say it was my first ever mittens (though I had made a pair of cuff up fingerless mitts once.)

Update: It wasn't the small discontinuity at the thumb joint, but the entire thumb tip, that started to unravel because I hadn't had the chance to weave the ends in, and somehow in the getting ready rush, DH heard "cut it off at one to two feet, so it doesn't drag" as "cut it off at one to two inches". Fortunately, I'd made the thumbs a bit too long, so I was able to unravel them halfway back & reknit them AND weave the ends in properly this time. (And I took an extra length of yarn & reinforced the thumb join where needed) We have MITTENS!

Go to Top of Page

knittingrunner
Seriously Hooked

USA
809 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  9:17:09 PM  Show Profile Send knittingrunner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Serendipity all around!
Nicely done.
Hope the mittens are joined by more in the future!
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  9:28:01 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by knittingrunner

Serendipity all around!
Nicely done.
Hope the mittens are joined by more in the future!

Probably, but I'm not sure when. I missed my 2-week launch window to get to the knitting store, and I don't have THAT much of a stash (unless I want the next pair to be for DH, but he has BIG hands)

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  2:52:14 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very lot of mommy points! a Gazillion. and Grats!

Pics at Flickr
Zippiknits
The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe