Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Embarrassing habits when admiring yarn
 The things you say after spotting yarn. . .
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

usedtobe35
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  10:49:43 AM  Show Profile Send usedtobe35 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I like to patronize small independently owned yarn shops (versus a large craft store), I like to think the owners are sympathetic and understanding when I exclaim out loud, "Oh yeah!"
Go to Top of Page

jinniver
Chatty Knitter

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  09:26:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit jinniver's Homepage Send jinniver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Mine."

Actually, if it's beautiful yarn, there's not much coherent verbalization going on. I make a lot of inarticulate sounds of pleasure combined with a lot of petting. My husband used to get freaked out when I pet my quilting fabric, but he seems to have accepted the petting of yarn (maybe because some of it comes from animals). He's even loosened up to reach over and have a touch of the yarn when I tell him how good it feels and admit that, yes, it's really soft.

Jen (jinniver on Ravelry)
My blog: The Sarah Winchester of Fiber Arts
Go to Top of Page

frodosmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
480 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  7:43:47 PM  Show Profile Send frodosmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, you are all making me feel envious! I work from a wheelchair, and the LYS in town--in a residence--doesn't have handicapped access. When someone offered to get me inside, there wasn't enough room to reach shelves or turn my chair around. The yarn there was definitely yummy, though. Crafts stores are roomier, but don't have the best yarn or a way to carry it when both hands are needed to propel the chair. So I do most of my looking online where I love looking at the colors while muttering under my breath about whether it will look the same or how it will feel when I get to see some. Some suppliers will send samples and I really do appreciate that. If not, once I receive my order the exclamation will be "Yay, this is super!" or "Oh, no, it didn't look like this on the website!"
Margaret in South Carolina
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  8:22:05 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am mesmerized by a color-- or rather, not a color but a beautiful tweed, or a smouldering "almost solid", or a soft, melding artists colorway.
I'm like M.Mario, I just zone out, race walk over to it, ignoring women, children, men, and small animals in my way, and gaze, drool, and put it in my hand.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  07:45:15 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HOW SWEET!!!!!!
I'm really too old to say that line but I learned it from my daughter and it's stuck. My stand by is the same as MindyO..."holy crap!!!!"

~Debbi~NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

joankyles
Warming Up

50 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  09:01:16 AM  Show Profile Send joankyles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simple knitter

I'm a gropper, I love to feel up the yarn, my DH thinks I've lost my mind, lol

I got some gorgeous coriedale wool from Uruguay and was selling some at a local fair and this woman kept coming back to stroke it, Next time I'm putting a sign up saying 1.00 per grope thanks!!!!.... Honest I'd make more money that way to pay for my next fix of yarn.....

www.calanacrafts.blogspot.com where you'll find me knitting
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  11:36:34 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, ya. The yarn might be fun, even, with a smilie face affixed. Conversation starter and such.

First thing I see is color, and then I look at the twist very closely, and then, I fondle the yarn. That's after I say, "Would you look at those colors!" loudly enough for nearby shoppers to hear it. I can't help it, the colors are the main attraction.

lella Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

eloise
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  10:22:18 PM  Show Profile Send eloise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it looks REALLY good, I lightly rub it against my cheek - can't resist. If it does feel as soft as it looks, I buy it.

Eloise - knitting makes me calm
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  07:07:34 AM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of the above.

Carol, Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

Rosinha
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  2:38:57 PM  Show Profile Send Rosinha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have this awful tick that whenever I feel a yarn that is really scratchy, I blurt out "That feels awful!! Who would want that on their skin?!!" And then I have to immediately ask the very next person who appears in the area "Feel that. Isn't that awful?!!"

Rosa
Go to Top of Page

SummerKnitsinMS
Chatty Knitter

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  3:19:31 PM  Show Profile Send SummerKnitsinMS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't get to feel as often as I would like--no LYS in my neck of the woods. When I do get to visit a yarn shop, I never spend less than a couple of hours!! I'm pretty quiet (I think) in my appreciation...
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  04:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about OUTTA THE WAY!! THAT'S MINE!!!

Ok, just kidding. I'm much more polite than that, I swear.

Jennifer

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers from Spirit Trail Fiberworks: http://www.spirit-trail.net
Blog: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
"SpiritTrail" on Flickr and Ravelry

Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  09:37:23 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GET OUT OF MY WAY

I usually am attempting to jump over my mom to get to a particualr color before she does. She doesn't knit very much but she has quite a stash going. Unfortunately we tend to like the same colors but I am faster than her.

Wanda
My Blog
Ravelry - gwtreece
Go to Top of Page

msmimafia
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  8:08:56 PM  Show Profile Send msmimafia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heavy petting like it is a new puppy and I am trying not to maul it, if it is soft. Or if it is scratchy I stand there and stare at it and try to think what the heck to make out of it and repeatedly poking it hoping it will get softer each time.

Go to Top of Page

Pollyanna
New Pal

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  04:59:01 AM  Show Profile Send Pollyanna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always smell it! and I'm the same with books
Go to Top of Page

Swiftstar
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  11:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Swiftstar a Yahoo! Message Send Swiftstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always say, I told my car I did not need more yarn but it stopped anyway and made me come in, and now it's making me buy this.

Stop me before I suffocate in yarn!!!

Deb W in WA
Go to Top of Page

ckruisin
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  08:48:51 AM  Show Profile Send ckruisin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not very verbal. In addition to touch I HAVE to smell. SORRY ....There's just something about the smell of natural fibers that reminds me of the natural source they come from and is part of my knitting Zen.
Go to Top of Page

maggiemay
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  6:01:31 PM  Show Profile Send maggiemay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When a particular yarn catches my eye it is because of color and texture. Then I have to touch and hold it against my cheek and forearm lightly to see if its soft,& not scratchy. Then ideas usually start coming to me for what I can make with it.
Go to Top of Page

Barnabus Cadbury
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  3:49:48 PM  Show Profile Send Barnabus Cadbury a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually say something along the lines of "HOLY CRAP! Take a look at this yarn!!!!!" then I usually make some unfortunate shopper next to me hold it and feel it while i go and pile on more until they get frustrated or they can't see me anymore and then leave and buy the first yarn i found. leaving them will all this yarn.

my love of my life free knitting patterns! from http://www.favecrafts.com
Go to Top of Page

carolinaknitter
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2009 :  07:52:53 AM  Show Profile Send carolinaknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually stroke the yarn with a faraway wistful look on my face, trying to imagine it worked up in a project. I oooh and aah alot.

So much yarn, so little time
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.4 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.