Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Addi Interchangeable
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  10:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Addi Interchangable needles have arrived at some of the LYS in NYC so they are probably at stores around the country.

Who's buying?

GFTC of NYC

my knitting photos on Flickr

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  12:33:43 PM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want them but I have 25 pair of Trish's Addi's so I am going to pass

What about you GFTC?

Do you need us to talk you in to getting them What did the case look like?

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  12:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen them. I know they are there because I received email blasts from two stores that have them in stock.

I'm sure they are fabulous but interchangeable needles have never tempted me so I won't be buying them. I am a retro knitter who prefers straights and dpns, anyway. I know that other knitters were anxiously waiting for news of the arrival of Addi circ interchangeable sets which is why I posted the availability.

GFTC of NYC

my knitting photos on Flickr
Go to Top of Page

SkeinHerder
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  1:15:16 PM  Show Profile Send SkeinHerder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw online one site was doing preorders last month. I mentioned to DH that I wanted one and he told me to send him the link and wait til next year to order. Have I been good enough? I hope so!!!

For me it was a good buy since I mainly have the 16 inch for hats.

S:)

Happiness is an inside job.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  3:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am trying to resist. I have the Denise set and the Options set. I am going to hold off at least till next year.

Wanda
My Blog
Ravelry - gwtreece
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  5:22:33 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got all the needles I need. There's other things I really need a lot more than these, admittedly wonderful, new needles.

Pics at Flickr
Zippiknits
The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3457 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  7:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have at least one pair of normal Addi's in every size from US 000 to US 10.5 (with multiple pairs if I use that size a lot) and some Addi lace needles so I'm all set too :)

I'm still very interested in Clara's review and especially, the cost of extra cords...
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  5:12:54 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw one on Ebay - it was the first picture I've seen of the case. The price was even higher, plus shipping.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

dday39@waitrose.com

United Kingdom
Posted - 12/11/2008 :  01:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit dday39@waitrose.com's Homepage Send dday39@waitrose.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love my Addi circs and I have the mini options set but I would not buy the new Addis, mainly becausr 95% of my knitting is done on needles between 2.5mm - 4.5mm so for me the larger sizes would not be used and I could not justify the cost, not too keen on the very large storage box either.
Jan Smith (Kent UK)
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  03:55:14 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara,
Can you let us know when the extra cords are available and also when they come out with a set for lace?
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

karenposniak@mac.com
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  03:55:32 AM  Show Profile Send karenposniak@mac.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got MINE .HAvent used them yet.
Go to Top of Page

edonnell
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  06:50:33 AM  Show Profile Send edonnell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm buying! First, I really appreciated Clara's comments about the ethics of buying. I don't think India is AS far behind as China, but still. Nothing against the citizens, but the government is loathsome.
I'm constantly passing up things I would like to own because they are Chinese made. And in good stores, like LL Bean. I find it shortsighted of retailers.

But I digress. I have Options, they are ok, but there have been many problems-- cables breaking, a 4mm point that slides off the cables , etc. And managing the points and cables took buying another case-- the one that came was a joke.

I have a necklace that fastens the way the Addis do, and it truly is smooth as glass when it is done up. I know it is expensive, but good tools are, and I find myself going back to my Addis over the Options anyway. Dying to see a set.
Go to Top of Page

knittynoddy
Gabber Extraordinaire

460 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  07:54:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittynoddy's Homepage Send knittynoddy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Clara's review she states:
quote:
Twelve needles: US 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
This is not correct.

The needle sizes in the kits available now are:
US 4 (3.5mm), US 6 (4.0mm), US 7 (4.5mm), US 8 (5.0mm), US 9 (5.5mm), US 10 (6.0mm), US 10.75 (7.0mm), US 11 (8.0m), US 13 (9.0mm), and US 15 (10.0mm)

Evelyn
Knitty Noddy
www.knitty-noddy.com
Go to Top of Page

kellistarr
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  08:13:10 AM  Show Profile Send kellistarr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've pre-ordered a set and just waiting for it's arrival date. I appreciate the fact that time is being taken to make sure they get it right. I enjoy the Addi needles, though at times, they can be a bit slippery. Clara's review was really good! I was not pleased once finding out the length of the cables. I at least hoped for a 16 inch cable. But it isn't the end of the world. I know I'll have those needles forever and I am really about quality. I haven't been a fan of the interchangeable needles, what made me decide to purchase was the fact that they connect without that blasted key lock thingy that I don't like.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  08:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evelyn, you are correct! I've fixed the review.

I have been assured that the extra cords are very much at the top of their radar screen. Right now they are still meticulously inspecting every single kit before it goes out. Which, as you can imagine, is taking quite a bit of time. I appreciate this, since nobody wants to pay that much, and wait all that time, for something that has any flaws in it. But again, they've assured me that the extra cords will be next. And that pesky US 5. Hooray for Skacel!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

roselady35
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  08:30:23 AM  Show Profile Send roselady35 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last year, I tried Addi bamboos in lace sizes 1 and 2. Points and feel were lovely; the join on each end of both circs was spectacularly bad, an obvious huge design defect. Every stitch had to be lifted from a deep valley at the join and moved along the needle. I returned them to the vendor with laceweight yarn on the needle to demo. She agreed and refunded. While there, we opened and tried many other Addi circ in small sizes...all the same deal. She sent them straight to Skacel in Germany. The Skacel 'honcho' was insulted, and replied to her that "Addi needles are PERfectly engineered and nothing was wrong with their design." Fair warning on any Skacel warranty offered. I am totally done with Addi needles of any kind and adoring my lovely wooden Options with sharp points, a great selection of cables, and totally smooth joins, not to mention the superb customer support and unquestioning warranty from Knitpicks.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  08:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Roselady - I'm sorry you had that problem with the Skacel bamboos. I know this is no consolation, but the interchangeables are a totally different kind of join.

The other thing to clarify here: Addi needles are manufactured in Germany by Thomas Selter, the Addi "guy." They are imported, marketed, and distributed in the United States by Skacel. They are two different companies, though. If your LYS owner bought the needles from Skacel, I suspect she would've had a much better time of things if she contacted Skacel instead of going straight to Germany. I say this because Skacel is the company that offers the lifetime warranty.

Just two more cents for the discussion.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

knittynoddy
Gabber Extraordinaire

460 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  08:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittynoddy's Homepage Send knittynoddy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clara

Evelyn, you are correct! I've fixed the review.

I have been assured that the extra cords are very much at the top of their radar screen. Right now they are still meticulously inspecting every single kit before it goes out. Which, as you can imagine, is taking quite a bit of time. I appreciate this, since nobody wants to pay that much, and wait all that time, for something that has any flaws in it. But again, they've assured me that the extra cords will be next. And that pesky US 5. Hooray for Skacel!

Clara

I decided to re-check each tip in every kit myself before sending them out to customers. You know what they say about a 1.0 release of any new product!

Evelyn
Knitty Noddy
www.knitty-noddy.com
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  09:08:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely! It's better to be safe, since you're the first line of defense when any defects are reported. I know they learned their lesson from the Lace needles and are being extra careful this time, but as you say...

Clara
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  09:34:21 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love my Options so I will be passing on the Addis. In fact my Options are about the only needles I use anymore. I love the tips and so far have had no problem with them. I tried the addi lace and tips not quite long or sharp enough for me. I guess this is good I can save the money and spend on yarn.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

bluepeninsula
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  09:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit bluepeninsula's Homepage Send bluepeninsula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have KP nickel-plated and wood tips and cords in the sizes I use for 80-90 percent of my knitting - US4, 5, and 6. Overall I am pleased with them. I love the pointy tips. One of the wood ones broke shortly after I began using it, and KP replaced it promptly, no questions asked. I am especially glad they allow you to buy tips and cords individually. I rarely knit with anything larger than a US8 and therefore wouldn't buy an Addi set (or any set), because I'd never use most of the tips.

I have a couple of Addi lace needles in small sizes (US2 and 3). The cords are nicely flexible, the tips are pointy (but could be pointier for my taste), the joins are excellent, and the slight drag is very helpful when knitting slippery yarns.

Addi Turbos, though, are not the needles for me. I bought one once to see what all the fuss was about and ended up returning it to my LYS because I didn't like the blunt, snubby tip. I also like the tips on Inox Express circs and appreciate their affordability - you can get two of them for the price of one Addi.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.74 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?