Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting Resolutions?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4165 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  11:22:46 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have any knitting resolutions for 2009?
Mine is to conquer my fear of steeks!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  11:39:34 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will try very very hard not to buy any yarn for 6 months

I need to knit from my stash

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Go to Top of Page

SkeinHerder
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  12:06:32 PM  Show Profile Send SkeinHerder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To knit more for myself! Or anything for myself and maybe my first sweater.

S:)

Happiness is an inside job.
Go to Top of Page

jennysays
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  12:38:54 PM  Show Profile Send jennysays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
to knit at least one pair of mittens from selbuvotter successfully (i am little nervous but excited).
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  1:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to make it another year without buying yarn, if possible.

"I'm telling you, we're in a M. Night Shyamalan flick."
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  2:04:39 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1.I will try to not buy anymore yarn until I've knit down the stash.. ha ha ha, there's about 0 chance of that happening.

2. I WILL work hard on the Aran sweater and the Pi Shawl. They need to be finished and handed to, or sent off to, the people who are getting them.

There may be others but really, those are the two biggies.

Zippiknits

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  3:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. I will continue to both knit up and sell off my stash. There is no yarn buying for me until I get rid of this feeling of being overwhelmed by yarn. One of the LYS is having a huge end of lease sale and the flyer they sent out would normally be so tempting but I will not add even one skein.
As of next week I am seven months yarn sober.

2. All knitting pattern books will come from the library. I've already started doing this (thanks KR friends for the idea) and it's great. I can order the book online and they send me an email when it's ready for pickup. I own over 100 knitting books so I really have all the references I need and I am no longer buying books for one or two patterns.

3. I won't knit any patterns that I know deep down I will never sew together.

GFTC of NYC

my knitting photos on Flickr
Go to Top of Page

queenmaxine
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  3:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit queenmaxine's Homepage Send queenmaxine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really want to say I won't buy any yarn in 2009, but honestly, why set a resolution I know will be broken?

Instead, I will honor my Buddhist leanings and require that more intention be required for the purchases I do make. I am considering perhaps some sort of ratio. Three stash projects before any purchase can be made? I have actually trained myself to shop the stash before heading to the LYS, so this seems doable. Maybe I should up the ante to 5 stash projects. I will contemplate this tonight while doing my current knitting meditation, the lace border of my first Pi, which incidentally, is from stash yarn!

I also have a Tokyo kit and a Lady of the Lake kit, as well as a Judy's Colors stocking kit that should get some needle time this year as well as a Noni Medallion bag languishing on the needles. I think those might make the rotation as long term projects. Any ideas on if it would be better to start them all and rotate their knitting time or go through them one at a time start to finish?

My blog is not strictly knitting, but there are occasional WIP updates and frustration or bragging rants as I am a new knitter.

www.nolanoni.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  4:12:51 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My resolution is easy, and similar to others - use what I have on hand. Not only do I have yarn in nearly every room of the house, I also have wool for spinning, lots of wool for spinning. If I make a dent in that stash, oh my, then I'll have even more yarn........speaking of feeling overwhelmed.

And I just met the owner of a brand new yarn shop in my area. She asked for some help in various projects, payment to be made in yarn. What's a knitter to do???
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  5:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting from the stash and finishing up the 2008 leftover UFOs are top on the list. A major sweater project for me is next. The only yarn I'm buying right after the holidays is some Patons for felted mittens that I've promised.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4165 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  5:12:02 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like we'll need a 'knit from stash' support group!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1792 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  6:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
to knit down my stash---hey, I just started! Just finished a pair of mittens for my DH. That's two large balls of yarn significantly reduced!

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  7:24:26 PM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kim, what a great idea! I need all the help I can get.
OTOH, being laid off is an excellent 'knit from stash' enforcer.
Go to Top of Page

miele
Chatty Knitter

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  05:29:38 AM  Show Profile Send miele a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like everyone else, I want to knit my stash down. But purchases may sneak in, only those I have good intentions for.
I resolve to finish the Craft Yarn Council's Certified Teacher program.I paid for it and have been sitting on it forever. I have been teaching rather informally (at work, girl scout troops, the Library) so I thought I may as well do it. Basically all I have to do is a book of swatches proving I know what I am doing.
Happy New Year of Knitting!
Ellen
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  06:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) finish the UFOs sitting around, esp the Pi Shawl that needs a mistake corrected about 4 round back and a border added and the half done sweater (top down, at the point I need to take it off the needle to check for size & see if it is time to separate the sleeves from the body)

2) find an outlet where I can sell some finished projects since no one is buying the yarn on the shelf.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  09:26:42 AM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1)find a couple of projects for some stash.
2) find some needles large enough for the Laminaria shawl and cast on already!
3) find a cable pattern that I want to use for the sleeves of a saddle shoulder cardigan and cast on, already!
4) knit fair isle mittens in alpaca for my mother for next Christmas. My sister and I may also get a pair.
5) use the yarnt hat I had earmarked for charity projects for charity projects.

Never trust a man, who when left alone with a tea cozy, doesn't try to put it on - Billy Connolly
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  09:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...

When I moved from Calgary in September, I sorted out my yarn stash, and gave quite a bit away. I also put aside a huge sack of projects -- yarn and patterns together. I think in 2009 I need to focus on making a dent in that bag of goodies!

Marg in Mirror

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

suzannevh
Gabber Extraordinaire

565 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  11:30:55 AM  Show Profile Send suzannevh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My knitting resolutions for 2009 - Relax and enjoy it!

I've resolved for several years to destash and have always ended up with more. I've resolved to knit a certain thing or certain amount and it never happens. So in 2009 my resolution is to make knitting a source of relaxation and enjoyment - to knit what I feel drawn to knit instead of to finish up some stash or to give a gift. (Hopefully a more mindful approach to knitting will also cut down on large impulse buys - we'll see.)
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  12:02:01 PM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My stash is mostly sock yarn so I know that I will be adding sweater-type yarns. But, all of my socks will come from stash! I've really been wanting a skein of Malabrigo sock yarn so I must buy it before 2009! Other than that, no more sock yarn for 2009. There I said it.

I will knit a project ala Continental. I've been switching hands to get the feel. I prefer my left hand for knitting but my purling is not pretty. I will conquer.

Angie
My Ravelry
My Pictures
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  2:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I would prefer not to knit to deadlines, I'd also like to finish some of the WIPs that are clustered around the Knitting Throne. Since there are appropriate yarns in the stash for nearly all of the "I wanna knit THAT!" list, I'm trying to minimize impulse buying of new yarns. And finally, I will block the shawls that are already finished... somehow, somewhere!

AuntyNin
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  2:38:04 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My resolution is to finish the projects that I am starting for 2009.. I have 4 projects that I am starting and want to finish in 2009 and not start anymore till the 4 are done. As far as buying yarn if I am busy knitting my 4 projects I will not be looking at new yarn or projects.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.