Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Help with M1a and M1b
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spicername
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  7:22:13 PM  Show Profile Send spicername a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found a pattern I really want to try but am having difficulty understanding some of the stitches called for and cannot figure out what the explanation means. (I'll admit I'm what you would call an "intermediate knitter." While I've been knitting for a few years I've always tried easy patterns due to being intimidated by what I considered hard.)So...now that I'm branching out and have learned new stitches I cannot understand the following stitches and explanations. They are listed as follows:

M1a: Make/increase 1 st by knitting into the back of the strand after the current st.
M1b: Make/increase 1 st by knitting into the back of the strand before the current st
M2: Make/increase 2 stitches, 1 on each side of the stitch

Okay, so I thought M1a would be a M1 but then was totally thrown off by M1b instructions and M2 totally wiped me out. I've just finished reading two knitting books, (Knitting for Dummies and The Reader's Digest Complete Book of Knitting and Crochet) and still can't comprehend. I'm about to give up and am thinking I'm one of those people if I can't visualize it or be told in a way I understand I'll never get it. I really enjoy knitting and just want to get better. Can someone help me or point me in the right direction?

CraftyGrammy
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  06:57:04 AM  Show Profile Send CraftyGrammy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep this website in your favorites. It is wonderful and has many knitting terms in video. Sometimes seeing makes a world of difference. http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-glossary

When they say M2 they are refering to making an increase on each side of a knit stitch. Such as, making your M1 increase (this would be your M1b,before), knit your next stitch, M1 increase again (this is your M1a,after). This gives you 2 increases, one on each side of your knit stitch.

Sometimes the instructions will only say M2 to refer to the above.

I hope I explained this well.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Eleanor
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
583 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  10:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Eleanor a Yahoo! Message Send Eleanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me, these increases are made by picking up the yarn between the sts with your left needle and then knitting it by twisting it by knitting into the back of it. I don't know if I'm saying this right, but you can let me know if I can help explain it better.
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  10:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi spicername, welcome to KR!

I agree with all three posts:)
I think the reason they specify whether the increases are before or after the current stitch is to make sure that your increases "line up". M2 could be used for a thumb gusset, with a nice line of increases on either side of a central stitch.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe