Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 KnitPicks Harmony DPN's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knittingmommie
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  08:57:55 AM  Show Profile Send knittingmommie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just received my first set of KnitPicks Harmony DPN's in size 1. Does anyone know how at what size their needles actually look like what is pictured on their website? The ones that I received are totally a dark brown with a teeny little vertical green stripe on some of them, one of them is just plain brown. I called KnitPicks and questioned why they didn't look like the picture on their website, and they said they didn't know what the size ones were supposed to look like, the distribution center was in a different state, and she didn't have a set of size ones to look at. I then asked how big of a needle I would have to order for them to look like the picture, nice an colorful, and she said she didn't know. Is there someone out there with a set of Harmony dpn's that can tell me at what size they show all the colors? I really want to order some other needles from them, they are such nice needles. I've read on the forums that they have such great customer service, and was quick to solve any problems with their products, but maybe my "uncolorful" needle problem isn't important enough! Thanks for your help.

jennybensmom
Chatty Knitter

182 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  09:37:16 AM  Show Profile Send jennybensmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this would be of any help, but I have the 3.0mm-US 2 and 2.25mm-US 1 Harmony DPN's and just took a look at them. The 3mm needles have more surface area of the colors green purple and natural while there's slivers of some colors on the 2.25mm, and the grain runs parallel along the length of the needle. I wonder if the smaller needles have to be cut parallel to the grain so that they won't break.

Anyway, looking at the site, the needles shown are cut from a different section of the laminates. Customer service people generally wouldn't know much about the manufacturing process, but my guess is that you'd have to go pretty big for more color and patterning. Click on the link for "The Harmony Wood Story"
http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Interchangeable+Harmony+Wood+Circular+Knitting+Needle+Tips_NDKPNDETipWD.html

Kelly's holding some pretty big needles in her hands.

Barbara
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  09:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have size 1, 1.5, & 2. The #1 is a green or purple stripe down one side and brown or tan stripe down the other side. If you put the set together flat in your fingers and sort of roll them it makes a very cool rainbow effect. As the sizes increase in the other sets more colors appear on each needle.

I will say that I like these dpns the best out of all my dpns because the point is as close to perfect as I need. I use Colonial Rosewood, Crystal Palace, Lantern Moon, Susanne's Ebony, Brittany Birch and Clover as well as a set of HiyaHiya metal. They are all good but KP Harmonies are the best IMHO. The colorfulness is a nice bonus but I personally wouldn't care if they were solid color.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr
Go to Top of Page

amazing grace
Chatty Knitter

107 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  2:39:36 PM  Show Profile Send amazing grace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The smallest size in my husband's set of Harmony needles is a 4. They show all the colors although the arches/ovals of each color are bigger than the size 7's. The larger the needle, the more "interesting" the coloring design.

http://ramblingrace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmommie
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  2:45:28 PM  Show Profile Send knittingmommie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of your replies! I think that the smaller sized needles just don't have the colors like the larger ones do. I'm getting ready to order some straight needles and some circulars in larger sizes, hopefully they'll be in "full color". I think I was just disappointed with the "I really don't care" attitude of the person that I talked to in customer service this morning more than anything. I've already started a pair of socks with them, and they have a very nice feel to them.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  05:10:47 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the "sock set", but can't seem to find it...it's here somewhere....but did find my 1.5's. They each have 3 colors, so assume as you go down in size, you might only get 2 colors. It's just the logistics of it: the laminated wood strips are a set thickness, and when you cut tinier and tinier needles from it, you are going to get fewer colors. Sounds like you didn't get "pretty" ones, but it you had the whole set, you wouldn't notice, because the overall appearance would be of all the colors.

Jan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?