Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Report on Knitting Resolutions edit: October 2009
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  12:17:07 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fiddlerbird, having yarn forced on you does not count. It's not your fault that you had to start another project. Enjoy.

Update: I just frogged a lace sock project, bringing my UFO total down to 9 and allowing me to start one project, bringing it back up to 10. At 10 UFOs, I've met my preliminary 2009 goal, but I still want to get it down to 8 this year.

Lella, I was about to send the socks I just frogged to the CBs, but decided not to inflict it on them. There are others who need their help more than I do. Besides, glitter and lace don't go together.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  1:19:24 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abt1950

Fiddlerbird, having yarn forced on you does not count. It's not your fault that you had to start another project. Enjoy.

The yarn was forced on me 10 years ago. I took up knitting (again) approx 5 years ago. I gave most of the inherited stash to a club about 2 years ago, but I kept the real wool. (Mama only raised one fool, and it wasn't me.) I just finally figured out that the project I was longing to do, and the yarn I was longing to find a worthy project for, went together.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  4:58:56 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After a major redesign that pretty much wiped out the original plan, I finished those gosh darn orange mitts. At last.. this was in May, though.

Anne, you are right, the CB's have been so busy that most people don't even know where they are holed up. Lol.. I think they went to Brazil, myself.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  7:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MAY is over.

1. finished Babette Blanket, all yarn from stash
2. took out UFO Mitered Square Blanket, blocked completed squares & returned it to WIP status.
3. knit Debbie Bliss kid's sweater but currently deknitting and reknitting same sweater, smaller size (did not frog, just knitting from finished pieces), yarn from stash
eta 5/31: 4. finished Mexicali Ole baby sweater, yarn from stash

Sold more stash on Ravelry

Bought 3 crochet books: 1 kids, 1 motifs, 1 afghans
Bought 2 knitting books: 1 kids, 1 cables

Borrowed lots of knitting & crochet books from library

Participated in starting a new NYC group on Ravelry

Did not buy any yarn, needles, bags, or other knitting stuff.

Realized it's possible that I'm over sock knitting.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
989 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  8:15:10 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I have to confess, I don't remember what my original resolutions were and I'm too tired to look them up. I'm reasonably sure that they involved all or part of the following:

Finish Lynn's sweater. That has been handed off to another friend of hers to finish.

The felted clogs. Still need to tink back the upper and finish the second one.

Organize yarn into projects. DONE!

Post yarn for sale here at KR. Finally did that yesterday. Sheesh.

Start a lace project with Clara's Garden. Okay, that yarn didn't come out until March but I have been dying to start a lace shawl and I finally have.

Add special yarns to stash as possible. Well, I did add the lace yarn but today I resisted the Spirit Trail yarn for the Hedgerow Mitts. Even though I actually had just enough money in my stash for it, my job search hasn't been going well, so I will continue to save up for a good running jacket while they're still on sale.

I've also started a simple lap-sized afghan from stash yarn.

I love how we're periodically reporting back to each other on our progress! And thanks for all the birthday wishes. :-D

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap

Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  5:04:30 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Melanie, I agree. It's great to hear how everyone's doing, and it's a great motivation to keep at least some of the resolutions.

GFTC, I know what you mean about sock knitting. I'm not quite over it, but it has occurred to me that I may not need to have a sock on the needles at all times. Maybe a hat would do.

May Progress Report: Current FOs are now 9, same as last month. I started and finished a pair of socks.

In theory that means I can start another project, but that would bring me back up to 10, just like last month. I really want to get it down to 8 UFOs, but am so bored with what I've got on the needles that I might break. I'm considering whether a couple of my UFOs are really amphibians.

I take the fifth about keeping to my yarn diet. Another LYS bit the dust, although it's going to reopen in a new location.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2009 :  2:20:51 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished the poncho (good). Decided it needed blocking (um). Didn't do it right, and it's half-felted (bad). It's still wearable, and smoother than it was, but a bit smaller than I wanted it.

Meanwhile, I've got a stash. Superwash merino multicolor that kid picked out for socks; dark and white natural alpaca; plus the camel, which I still don't know what to do with. Possibly that hedgerow mitt pattern. And what was left of the last wool skein (most of it) which might become Totoro.

I'm threatening to make the alpaca into a neck warmer/cowl thing, in double knit, but I need a good pattern. I'm threatening to overlay an Escher print with a grid. (Escher -- did all those funky foreground/background tile things that mess with your mind.

And I frogged the Tofutsie yarn/spyrogyra pattern. It's very hard to see the stitch pattern in the dramatically contrasting yarn (dark purple to white, and sometimes tweed). And doing two at once, I may have started working part of it with the shell in the wrong direction. Backwards progress, altogether.

Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
989 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  11:07:52 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fiddlerbird, sounds like you're having a rough spot. Hope it ends soon. I'm working on a few batches of dishcloths for upcoming birthdays. I'd rather be working on my shawl or even the felted clogs but a road trip to Wisconsin and then flying out to Florida means I don't really want to be doing anything too complicated anyway.

Last time I was in FL, at the end of May, I hardly got to knit at all. This time around (though I still don't know when) promises to be busier, as I help my dad move from the nursing home back to his real home.

GFTC, thanks for keeping up with this topic and keeping us up to the mark!

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap

Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  3:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May socks are finished, I did three pairs of kids' socks instead of one pair of adult socks and one June sock is finished. The yarn for July's socks is wound, the pattern is chosen, the needles are ready. I took a bit of a sock break and got 6 or 7 lace facecloths in cotton done for Christmas gifts. That busted stash and I still have plenty to do and plenty of cotton left in the stash. Now I'm back to finishing the June socks...Monkey by Cookie A. My first Cookie socks! July will be a Monkey repeat with different yarn...

I still haven't finished the green sweater. I just don't like working on it much. I do a few rows here and there but it's still hanging about unfinished...

I did buy yarn at the NH Sheep & Wool festival on Mother's Day. I got one 200 yard skein of wool packaged in a little kit to learn KoolAid dying, it's for a workshop I'll do at the library. I bought a sheepskin for the motorcycle seat (SO comfy!) and some goatsmilk soaps for gifts. My son bought me a pretty pink needle sizer that looks sort of like a spiral shell and can be worn as a necklace. :)

My MIL was given two bags of nice yarns, a pile of patterns and books and a bunch of needles, etc by a woman at her church who knows she knits. The woman at church had inherited all this and doesn't knit or know anyone (except my MIL) who does. MIL claimed two skeins of pretty colored fluffy stuff and two skeins of sock yarn and gave the rest to me. So my sock yarn stash has grown by four pairs of adult sized socks. All but one set of needles is going to my knitting group at our Swap as is the rest of the yarn. Oh, wait...I scored a lovely skein of Noro Silk Garden...yay me!

So I'm busting my stash and yarn is still finding it's way in...go figure.

I love this thread. It's keeping me moving too, so thanks to everyone who participates! :D

Jo

Jo
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  9:35:12 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am designing a pair of socks for myself. I love to wear hand-knit socks!
Actually it is the "Hedgerow " pattern but instead of the "checkerboard" knit/purl stitches , I have done a YO, k2tog, switching it from side to side within the knit edge stitches. I have been twisting the outer knit stitches to define the edges of the rib. I like it!
I will learn to take pictures and post pictures sometime!
I used stash yarn, and am also working on another "Field of Flowers Shawl" in white J&S shetland lace weight from the stash.

Did buy Cascade Eco Wool on sale, but have been hankering for some over a year now and am glad I got it on sale.

Am trying new 16" circulars for socks (Hiya Hiyas) (which I had to buy) rather than 20" which I thought I had to use, and am liking them, and find I can knit fine with them.

I am "fixing to start" the Alice Starmore "Marina" sweater, (kit in stash), it is next on my list when my life calms down (HA ! )

So, I did finish grandkids' socks, and mailed them to France. I have stash Noro for the simple entrelac scarf, and I had resolved to learn entrelac , but that will be a while in coming.

It feels like I haven't done much for five months, but I like this thread--I can see that I have accomplished a bit!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  9:37:44 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am designing a pair of socks for myself. I love to wear hand-knit socks!

Actually it is the "Hedgerow " pattern but instead of the "checkerboard" knit/purl stitches , I have done a YO, k2tog, switching it from side to side within the knit edge stitches. I have been twisting the outer knit stitches to define the edges of the rib. I like it!

I will learn to take pictures and post pictures sometime!

I used stash yarn, and am also working on another "Field of Flowers Shawl" in white J&S shetland lace weight from the stash.

Did buy Cascade Eco Wool on sale, but have been hankering for some over a year now and am glad I got it on sale.

Am trying new 16" circulars for socks (Hiya Hiyas) (which I had to buy) rather than 20" which I thought I had to use, and am liking them, and find I can knit fine with them.

I am "fixing to start" the Alice Starmore "Marina" sweater, (kit in stash), it is next on my list when my life calms down (HA ! )

So, I did finish grandkids' socks, and mailed them to France. I have stash Noro for the simple entrelac scarf, and I had resolved to learn entrelac , but that will be a while in coming.

It feels like I haven't done much for five months, but I like this thread--I can see that I have accomplished a bit!

Anna

Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  12:45:05 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eldergirl it sounds good. I hope you do pictures.

Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  1:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a UFO I'd forgotten about! So I have to add "finish the fingerless gloves" to the list.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  6:58:22 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those sneaky fingerless gloves, they sure can find ways to slink away and hide out.

Eldergirl, that sounds so interesting. Think I'll make a swatch. Sounds pretty.

I have done little knitting outside of a face cloth, but hey, it was knitting..

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  09:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
JUNE

OK, everyone, 6 months into 2009 and we are still knitting!

General Update
Overall I have made a serious dent in my stash, finished all UFO's, got over my dislike of seaming/finishing, and forgot all about knitting socks.

Projects
1. Mitered Square Blanket is in sewing stage.
2. Boat/Heart kids sweater finished and given to my niece (stash yarn). This was the one I ran out of yarn, frogged, & reknit successfully on needles one size smaller.
3. Working on sweater for other niece (stash yarn, this time I have 10 skeins & pattern calls for 7).
4. Researching yarn/planning dorm blanket for friend's daughter. Down to Encore Worsted or Chunky vs. Cascade 220 Superwash. It took a lot of research, LOL.

Yarn
1. Sold lone skein of Sundara to a Sundara afficionado via Ravelry.
2. Bought one skein of Opal via Ravelry destash. It was a rescue - the color is so unappealing that nobody else would want it. If I make a sock yarn blanket I'll mix it in as an accent. Otherwise it can live with my other stashed sock yarn.
3. Photographed and Ravellized remaining stash yarn.

Misc
1. Bought WIP tool. I don't know why.
2. Bought 2 more needle gauges from Nancy's KnitKnacks. I've taken to accumulating multiples of gadgets that are my must-haves.
3. Continued to borrow knitting & crocheting books from library.
4. Have forsaken all my foo foo needles and returned to using straight Boye aluminum needles that I have been carting around since the 1960's.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  12:46:39 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been crocheting lately -- amigurumi. Cthulu is done (and cute) and I'm working on Totoro, who is much larger. I've wound the merino for DD's socks, but I'm probably going to rewind it to center-pull & work from both ends. I ordered new needles for this; when I looked at the yarn, it's NOT size 1. Hoping 0 will work well enough.

Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  8:52:33 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GFTC--You have NO WIPs? I envy you!

I'm holding steady at 9--pretty good considering I started the year at 15. 2 for 1 is holding.

1 old UFO frogged--a mitten for DS that he would never deign to wear and that seemed a little small

New projects:

1 wristlet in green to wear in solidarity with the Iranina protestors--it took all of an evening to do.

1 Dayflower lace scarf in a dk weight silk. About 60% done. Based on a lace pattern from Barbara Walker 2. It was supposed to be a quicky project but it's going more slowly than I'd like.

I've been having problems with the joint at the bottom of my thumb, so I haven't been knitting for the last few days and am getting twitchy. I have two sweaters in fairly advanced stages that I should be finishing, if only I could force myself. If I could finish one of those as well as the scarf, I'll be able to move on to some of my other goals for 2009--more fair isle, charity knitting, and learning a new technique. Maybe even design a sock.

I'm going through a blue period now--literally. All the projects I'm working on are various shades of blue. I need some color in my life!

Good knitting all!

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2009 :  12:58:37 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
July Report:

7 UFOs and another potential addition to the frog pond, so that brings it down to 6, with 2 starts permitted (8 is my maintenance target for the year). My hands are getting itchy to start some new stuff. I need an idiot-proof project for knitting group and something more challenging for myself. I'm thinking of a plain or close to plain vanilla pair of socks and a more complex pair, possibly one that I design myself. A log cabin baby blanket is another possibility.

Dayflower scarf is done, as is a modified version of an old Norah Gaughan VK sweater that I started in May, 2008.

I also did a knock off of an Urban Outfitters slouchy beret. I'd been admiring the hat on one of my students all spring semester and figured I could probably retroknit it. After the grades were in, the hat turned up in my mailbox, along with a very nice note (which is what really matters). So I used that hat as a model and had a great time knocking it off.

No yarn purchases, although I'm contemplating two skeins of dk weight for socks. I'm drooling over the Rivendell pattern, but it won't work on my big feet unless I go up a yarn size. It seems to be an unwritten law of stash management that if you have a specific pattern that you really want to do, you won't have anything in your stash that will work.

So-- how's everyone else doing?

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2009 :  2:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
JULY

Projects
Completed knitting dorm blanket for BFF's daughter (my only project worked on in July).
I ended up using Encore Chunky and worked out an interesting version of a mitered square blanket using 14" garter stitch squares in a combination of Hot Pink, Turq, Lime Green, and White. I'm 1/2 done sewing it together and then I will decide on the border.

Yarn & Stuff Bought
Yarn for the above project
Chibi needles w/the bent end
Canvas needleroll for straight needles (from a Ravelry destash)

What I Learned
Learned to do mattress stitch on garter stitch pieces. So fun (up through the smile, up through the frown) and so fast! I've been continuing my focus on finishing and I'm so happy with the nice results I'm getting. I've been using the first Stitch'n B itch book for guidance. Their finishing instructions are simple and to the point and are illustrated with good sketches.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2009 :  6:39:04 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing completed. I think I had two skeins of blue yarn for the Totoro, and the kids made off with one. Someone also took the white felt that was going to be a not-in-pattern smile. Started the merino socks & worked about 2.5 inches. They look great but I'm getting a tangle in the center of the cake. Not sure what to do with that, but I guess in a pinch I can cut & rewind. (It's not one of those really long repeats, but changes every row. Nobody can see that the socks aren't identically colored now.)

Thinking about how to make the neckwarmer. I'm going between trying to chart an Escher motif (Sky & Water) or doing it as a cellular atomaton. And DD made some noise about wanting to learn to crochet.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?