Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Report on Knitting Resolutions edit: October 2009
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2009 :  10:39:37 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fiddlerbird--a charted Escher motif? I'm in awe. Is Sky and Water the one with the birds and fishes? That's my favorite. I was at the library yesterday looking for inspiration for sock motifs and looked through a book of his stuff. The idea of charting something like that blew me away.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  08:56:20 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abt1950

Fiddlerbird--a charted Escher motif? I'm in awe. Is Sky and Water the one with the birds and fishes? That's my favorite. I was at the library yesterday looking for inspiration for sock motifs and looked through a book of his stuff. The idea of charting something like that blew me away.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper

Yea, that's the birds & fishes. You can do anything in double knit, but this one is not going to be as simple as photoshopping a grid over the art. (I did this pattern http://www.flickr.com/photos/fiddlerbird555/2341481977/in/set-72157604749437561/ like that. I'm pretty proud of it.) My problem is the internal detail, that may be too fine for the resolution of the size yarn I chose (sport, likely on size 3 needles). Right now the concept is only solid shapes (and hope they look bird & fish like enough) and to chart one row (of the beasts, not of the knitting), shrinking the birds on the lower half and the fish on the upper. It might not work in purely two-color

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  6:08:17 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Impressive. I've never done doubleknitting or much with color for that matter. But I know what you mean about the resolution and the yarn.

I'm thinking about doing a sock with some kind of sculptural knit motif. Maybe petroglyphs or some other graphic image translated into knit and purl stitches. But the top of a sock isn't much of a workspace, especially if you add a column of tiny cables on either side to set it off.

I really want to see what you come up with.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  10:23:02 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know. When I actually look, I get pretty discouraged. I might punt and go for the other idea "cellular automata". (Ever hear of the computer "game" life. You start with a random number, and then follow a non-linear algorithm. For knitting that's the 3 stitches on the lower row (and your basic knit-in-the-round spiral wouldn't have any edge problms)

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  5:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where did August go??

I have little to report. I bought nothing and did very little knitting.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  6:54:38 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Failed miserably at my attempt at entrelac but did learn two new stitch patterns on the dish cloths. I will finish the Hedgies this weekend so I will accomplish the "knitting something for me" part.

Never started the small afghan previously mentioned. Resisted all attempts by my children to knit them something and then succumbed to base flattery at AT so I am now committed to knitting another pair of Hedgies. At least the money paid covered the yarn which I just received this last week. I'm trying Imagination by KnitPicks and it is certainly soft! I hope the loose twist doesn't make me too crazy.

Before I start those, I plan to make a pair of simple, ribbed wristers for my dad (who loved the dish cloths so much he refuses to use them!). I am going to make them two at a time on 2 circs. This will be good practice for when I do make DH his next pair of socks.

Plan to frog the lace shawl and am looking for a new pattern that will show the colors to better effect.

Reading these posts reminds me that I did design and knit a cowl/neck warmer but it was a little too small! I liked how it looked and will try to reknit it. Eventually.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap; magic square potholder; five dish cloths, including two new patterns

Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2009 :  5:34:35 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I did worse than you, Lacey Laine, I didn't even get around to entrelac!

I did buy yarn, among the treasures Helen's Lace in the "Clara's Garden" colorway!

I have had a very difficult summer, having spent it in Atlanta at my DS' apartment, nursing him through the terminal stage of his colon cancer. He passed away just a week ago, and I am in all the expected throes of shock, grief, addleheadedness, anger, you name it. I have a long way to go before I get through it. He was a lovely man, only 43, and was much loved.

The first thing I did was to buy good worsted wool and am swatching for a baby blanket for Afghans for Afghans October campaign. Keep busy, do stuff for others in great need, and be open to god. One stitch, one day at a time.

So I'm in this, with my new resolution for a baby afghan for mid October.

Keep ya posted!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  3:10:44 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anna, so sorry to hear about your DS. I can't even imagine how you must feel. Much as I complain about my own DS, I can't imagine life without him. No parent should ever have to face the loss of a child.

August was reasonably productive for me. 6 WIPs, which is great progress for the year.

-----I finished the project I had planned to frog as of the July update. These were a pair of retroknit slippers just like the ones my grandma used to make for me every birthday and Christmas. I started these shortly after my mother's death a decade ago and retroengineered them from the last surviving pair. The pattern was ubiquitous during the 1950s and 1960s, but I didn't have it. My version had some problems, which was why I was going to frog them, but I managed to fix them in the finishing. Very glad I did. They're just as comfortable as I remember them.

----Finished the Diamond Tunic from Norah Gaughan's "Knitting Nature," which I started in 2006. It turned out nicely, although it seems to have stretched a bit--it's now somewhere between a tunic and a dress. Figure if I wear it to knitting group, they can help figure out the proper length. Then I can (gasp!) take a scissor to it and reknit the bottom. Never done that before. . .

-----Started Kai Mei from Cookie A's "Sock Innovation." About an inch from the heel on the second sock.

-----Picked up Charlotte's Web Shawl again, which I started originally in 2005. Maybe I'll actually finish it this time around.

No progress on designing the socks I had planned to design last month, although I have a design to translate and a rough drawing.

Of my original 2009 resolutions, I still have to do some color work, learn a major new skill, and knit something for charity. Darning may well be the major new skill, since we've got a major moth infestation.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/abt1950

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  08:39:15 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anna so sorry to hear about your son.
Well I have done nothing. Each day I say today I will knit and ea night I go to bed and no knitting has been done. I am supposedly working on a baby blanket and a wool pullover sweater for my dh. If had knit in Aug. the blanket would be done and the back of the sweater might have been. Oh well tomorrow is another day as they say.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  8:56:56 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
11 years ago Sunday, my oldest niece died in an auto wreck, age 18. I didn't think of the date until now. She was smart and artistic and independent and loving, and I still miss her.

I've been crocheting more than knitting, but I'm half done with the socks from the rainbow wool bought at the alpaca show last spring. I wish the repeats on the colors were longer. Every half-row is a different color, but I like better the look of the heels, where the rows are shorter, and the colors are grouped with the next color in sequence.

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  6:19:04 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The whole month of August, with three projects with me, I didn't do any knitting, but... dd and I spun a bit, smoothing out her technique, and we taught her big sister how to purl, and how to make a sock.

It's getting up to 100 degrees for our normal September weather so the knitting got a look in a few days ago, to see if I had a 16 inch Addi circ, but that's about it for August and into September - Peeks and a little bit of teaching.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  08:53:45 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
August was not a productive month for me. My youngest son & I flew to Florida to help my dad move from the nursing home to assisted living. Then we drove his Buick home to Indiana; the doctors said he wasn't allowed to drive anymore. He actually moved to his new home a few days after we left (Luke had to start school). Four days after that, he had a heart attack and went to the hospital. I never finished the Hedgerow Mitts, so I never started his wrist warmers (same needles).

Between Luke, Alex & I all starting school/college I didn't get any knitting in at all. Then, a few days before Dad was going to be released from the hospital, he had another heart attack and this time he didn't make it.

Even with all of his health problems, this took us all by surprise because he had been getting better. I was in Florida three times (not counting the funeral) and at Annual Training for 15 days, so I can't be angry that I didn't get his gift done. Just regretful.

I was so busy taking care of him the third trip, and the funeral business the fourth trip, that I didn't get any knitting or physical fitness in at all.

I did, at least, finally finish the Hedgies last night and they look wonderful. I'm not sure what to do with the yarn I bought for Dad but I know I won't be able to touch it for awhile.

Anna, I share your grief.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap; magic square potholder; five dish cloths, including two new patterns; Hedgerow Mitts!

Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  1:45:42 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Melanie, I'm so sorry to hear about your father. It's hard enough to go through a parent's illness death, without having to do it long distance.

I went through the same kind of thing with my mother--she was in Oregon, I'm in NJ. Trying to keep things going in two places is not easy.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  6:37:30 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Melanie, my heartfelt condolences.

I have planned the afghan baby blanket and have a couple of inches done. It's in garter stitch, so it doesn't go as fast as it might.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  05:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here goes for September:

Knit
2 hats for college son, 1 from Debbie Bliss Merino Aran stash and the other from Cascade 220 Superwash bought for this project

70% done with entrelac blanket, Berroco Keltic bought for this project

Bought
1 skein Cascade 220 Superwash (used for hat)
22 skeins Berroco Keltic (used for entrelac blanket), thanks Elann!
Knitting Without Tears, 40% off coupon at Borders

My $50 credit on Elann kicked in. I hadn't bought from them in 2 years so it was a nice surprise when it popped up. Now comes the pressure of what to spend it on!

ETA: Finished the blanket on 9/30 so it counts for September.
Also 9/30: bought The Knitter's Book of Wool

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

300 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  07:34:26 AM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My deepest sympathies go out to you, Anna, on the loss of your son. Just as he had you to love and care for him, I hope you have loving family/friends to love and sustain you at this time. Knitting can be therapeutic or it can be too demanding right now. If it is too demanding, put it away. It will wait for you.
Be patient and loving to yourself.
My thoughts are with you.

Nanci

Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2009 :  7:28:23 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
September has been sock knitting month. UFOs are holding at 7, one up from last month.

I finished Kai Mei early in the month. Having the flu is good for some things.

I discovered Sock Knitters Anonymous on Ravelry and am knitting/finishing two pair of socks for their September challenge. Both will be done in a couple of days.

Wendy Johnson is the designer du month, so one is her double eyelet rib toe up socks. I'm about an inch and a half above the heel on the second sock.

I'm also doing SKA's mystery sock for September, which is by Nancy Bush. I'm loving it because a) it's my first mystery KAL and b) I'm learning new techniques. I'm halfway down the instep on the second sock.

Not sure if I'm going to do the October SKA challenge, because I need to work on some other projects. But I'm loving the slightly fanatical group experience.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/abt1950

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  7:54:02 PM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've fallen of my commitment wagon. I wasn't going to buy any sock yarn but I don't want to stop myself. There's a beautiful ball of yarn, String Theory Caper, sitting here looking at me and wondering which pair of socks it will become.

I've bought plenty of sweater yarn but I hadn't sworn off all yarn. No guilt here.

I still haven't knit anything Continental but I still have 3 months to go. I'm thinking about making another Truly Tasha shawl and it would be a perfect project for testing.

Angie
My Ravelry
My Pictures
Go to Top of Page

valleruata
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  07:56:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit valleruata's Homepage Send valleruata a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy, the year is 2/3 over and this is the first time I have thought about those resolutions. My main one was to finish UFOs. I am still working on that. One project out of 6 has been finished. So many great patterns came out this year! Startitis is still attacking. But I do have an Aran sweater that has to get finished for the husband before it gets cold again and a Kingscot cardigan that I really want to be wearing right now.
Has anyone already thought of next year's resolutions? Mine will be the same. Maybe it will adjust to say a balance of new to old finished projects;)
Deb
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1927 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  07:52:50 AM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My condolences to you, Anna, and wish you well. I have not been doing much knitting this summer, a little crocheting at times, but now I am planning to make a scarf for a friend whose father is dying, one with thoughts and prayers knitted in. I am just going to try to do a little needlework every day. Warm thoughts to all, Chayah in breezy New York.

"Each breath really is a new beginning of the rest of our lives." Jon Kabat-Zinn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?