Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Washable beads
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1855 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  2:36:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am going to knit a hat and want to string some beads on the yarn to knit in randomly.

In looking for beads on the Web, I am learning that some beads shouldn't be near detergent. I like the matte and AB (aurora borealis) beads very much, but do not know if these will survive occasional handwashing that this hat is likely to require.

But let's look beyond matte and AB: In general, which bead finishes won't do well when washed?

If those reading this can't provide an answer but know of a beading forum on the Web where I can ask, that would be helpful. Or, those already on a beading forum are welcome to ask there and post here.

(I have to say, I'm kind of amazed that there is no beading forum right here.)

Thanks!

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

vviolet
Chatty Knitter

148 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  4:29:13 PM  Show Profile Send vviolet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll give you a toll free number and an e-mail address for Fusion Beads:

info@fusionbeads.com
And for bead supplies, this is the site:
www.fusionbeads.com

I've ordered my beads and wire from them for years, and have called them when I needed help. I have been consistently pleased with their products and service. They are in Washington state, so they are on Pacific time. Personally, I have not intentionally washed my beaded jewelry per se, but I have gotten them pretty darn wet showering, dropping them in the sink, or blasting them with hot water in the washer by accident when doing laundry. My suggestion would be to "sacrifice" the type of bead you're thinking of using, and subject it to the kind handwashing you would use for your knitted item. Think of it like making a swatch of knitting--hey, you could knit your swatch with your bead(s) on it and see what happens! Let us know what happens, ok?

You can do anything if you know how.--vviolet
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  6:41:13 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AB is a coating and can change and can scratch. I don't think I'd want to wash them very much. The matt is a blasted finish, like sand blasting and it should be ok to wash. Someone suggested Japanese beads in another topic and those are really lovely beads. They are worth the extra money for their uniformity and stability. Best wishes on your project. :o)

lella Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?