Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Hats, berets, and other head coverings
 Best cast on for hats?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HilaryL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  7:02:42 PM  Show Profile Send HilaryL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I'm wondering what people's favorite cast-on is for bottom-up hats. The last hat I made with a folded up edge, the edge looked very thin and insubstantial to me (though maybe this was because the bulk of the hat was Fair Isle and the edge was plain ribbing ... so it WAS thinner.) Of course I can't remember what cast-on I used! Probably long-tail or knitted cast on. I'm just making a plain ribbed hat for my son, but I want the edge to look substantial. I was thinking of doubling the yarn for the whole hat, but I'm afraid it would be too bulky folded up ... advice please!
Hilary

http://hilaryknitstoo.blogspot.com/

HilaryL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  7:30:23 PM  Show Profile Send HilaryL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I want something that looks like the tubular cast on, but is easier! I haven't really mastered that in the first place, and I'm not sure you can use it for 2X2 rib?

Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  7:49:32 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd use the German Twisted Cast-on
Go to Top of Page

HilaryL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  9:57:53 PM  Show Profile Send HilaryL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, I was afraid you'd say that! I guess I'd better learn it, huh. :)

Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1734 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  03:21:31 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been enjoying the cable CO for the hats I've been making this winter (lots of hats!). Looks very nice IMO and just stretchy enough for me.

I've made several hats with double worsted. Needle size depends on just how thick the worsted. I think my fave is a thinner worsted doubled with a size US11. Have one OTN at the moment in 2x2 rib. Made a couple for Christmas just like this, & they were well received. Folded up nicely, too. They were made a little on the snug side at 60 st around. The one OTN for my dad is 68 st. We'll see ...

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  4:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the Old Norwegian Sock cast-on, described in "Simple Socks, Plain and Fancy" by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts. It probably does the same thing as the Twisted German CO, but it looks different.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  5:49:53 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I basically use three cast ons for almost all of my knitting, the cable cast on at the end of a row of knitting, a provisional cast on leaving live stitches like the crochetted chain cast on and the long tail cast on. My trick is that I do the long tail cast on over 2 needles the size used in knitting the garment. This allows me to pull the yarn snuggly and get an extremely neat edge. After casting on, I pull one needle out and begin knitting. At first this cast on row looks way too large and you will be sure you make a mistake but keep on going. After you have knit a minimum of an inch or preferable two inches, take the cast on edge in small 2 or 3 inch segments and stretch it out all the way along. The too large stitches will then shrink to the same size as the knitting but you will have put a lot of stretch into your edge. I've never had a problem with hats, or socks, or gloves or anything else doing it this way.

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?